Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?)

/ Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?) #1  

JeffreyG

Great website.

I'm looking for an inexpensive compact or sub-compact tractor for $10,000 or less that has a mower and FEL. If I look at new tractors, seems like the Kubota BX1500 is the only one to consider. Any suggestions?

20 acres. 14 woods. 6 field/pasture/yard. Needs:
1. Mow yard and pasture, keep back brush.
2. Backup method for snow removal. 150 foot driveway and 100 foot path to animals. Primary method is walk behind snowblower. Current backup is snow shovel.
3. Clean out animal sheds. Sheep and horses. Wheel barrow and shovel seems to do the job, so maybe a tractor is not needed.
4. Pull a cart of firewood up to the house. As of yet I don't cut much of my own wood. Probably cheaper to have it delivered than to buy a tractor.

Currently a $200 Montgomery Ward 42" lawn tractor does all the mowing. Works fine. Takes a while. Cut looks crappy, but I don't mind. Probably will break down for good one of these days.

Maybe I should just buy a new Craftman lawn/garden tractor for $2,000-$3,000 as the replacement.

Or, I could dream about buying a new Kubota BX1500.

What do you think?

/ Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?) #2  
No one ever wishes for less Horsepower..

I understand your request for staying under $10K. That's a real requirment.

But putting an FEL on a smaller tractor might have you wishing for more power.

I think my FEL is right sized, but my BX2200 is none too powerfull at times, trying to move dirt.

Not familiar with the 1500, but fit/finish/eronomics/etc is all good on my new 2200.

Enjoy!

Ron

/ Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?) #3  
You should be able to buy a chinese Jinma with all that for a little less than that, and they say they are pretty good tractors, just have to keep check on the bolts to see they stay tight. Also a good used grey market tractor like Yanmar, Iseki, or there is about 4 or 5 other names. The term grey just means they were made for another country, like generally Japan, then after they use them very little they ship them here and sell them. They are generally in very good shape and will do what you are wanting. Most have less than 1000 hours on them, which is really a very little bit. But like I say, if you want new, Jinma would probably be your best bet, for the price. The Jinma has roll over protection and seat belt, and a PTO shield, which the greys do not. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?)
Never heard of some of the brands of tractors mentioned on this forum. Are they easy to get fixed and find parts? Will they be in 10 years? I have almost 0 mechanical ability. It might be a good idea to stick with a common brand. I don't know.

As to the $10,000. Ha! I don't even have that much. But wife and I might rub some nickles together and see if we can make some dimes. She's on board up to $10,000 worth of tractor debt, but then gets scared after that. I get scared after $3,000. The manufacture will have to offer some good financing.

If I don't go with a FEL, I might just go with cheap lawn/garden tractor with a snow plow. Probably won't be able to plow much that way, but a Craftsman setup would only cost $4,000 at most. It might only last 5 years. Or maybe I'd get lucky and it would last 20 years.

I've thought about a large premium brand gardent tractor like a JD or Cadet, for $5,000-$7,000 with a plow. But if I'm gonna spend that much, maybe it is worth spending a little more to get the FEL.

I don't know.

/ Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?) #5  
Pretty confusing huh?
Most offer cheap financing.
I have a $6500 lawn mower with a front blade also. Used in the last three years. It will kinda move snow around, guess I should have tried chains.
Then I decided on the 2210. I guess you never know what you are missing till you get something equipped to do the job properly.

/ Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?) #6  
I have a Jinma 184 and it's a work horse. I think it would do all that you want it to do and more. As far as no mechanical skills, well someone will have to service the machine and do repairs no matter what brand you get. I paid $7000.00 new for my Jinma 184 and it came with Koyker 160 FEL. This tractor is well bilt and solid. I pull a 5 1/2 ft box blade and a 5ft rottary mower no problem. I have also tightened nuts and bolts and am about to change the oil and other fluids. I think it a great tractor for the price.
Michael

/ Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?) #7  
Like I said the Jinma would cost you with fel around $7000, probably last you 20 to 30 years or more. I paid about $3000 for my Yanmar about 20 hp with a rotary cutter. It's a grey market, about 20 some years old, probably last me 20 years or more. with very little repair. You can pay that much for a new lawn tractor. You might want to look and see if you could find a dealer for grey market tractors if you are worryed about the cost that much. Or if you want to do as your wife says go up some in price. If you have the Homiers come to your area, a traveling tool company, that goes to most of the country, you can fine a new chinese tractor there called the FarmPro. They sell for about $3500 without fel. You can find them on the web. Just some options in your price range.

/ Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?) #8  
You could go with a Kioti LK3052, rear 6ft blade, FC 5ft mower
Saw this on a web site for $10,000.
Could look for a used big 3 with lower hours.
Go talk to your local tractor dealers. They are more important than the tractor in most cases.

/ Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?) #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( of tractor debt, but then gets scared after that. I get scared after $3,000. The manufacture will have to offer some good financing.)</font>

Kubota just ended a 0% for 3 years promo. I don't know what they may offer next. Some of the others like John Deere are offering some incentives as well.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If I don't go with a FEL, I might just go with cheap lawn/garden tractor with a snow plow. )</font>

It is my personal opinion that the lawn / garden tractor may indeed handle the mowing chores that you want done but will likely be very disappointing in the front end plowing aspect. I had a plow for my previous tractor (Wheel Horse) and rarely used it in favor of a front mounted 2 stage snow thrower. Pushing snow is about weight and traction and you are talking about 2 wheel drive and 800 - 900 pounds. Not a lot for pushing snow, I'm afraid.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've thought about a large premium brand gardent tractor like a JD or Cadet, for $5,000-$7,000 with a plow. But if I'm gonna spend that much, maybe it is worth spending a little more to get the FEL.)</font>

I think the BX1500 would handle your mowing well and would probably have enough power for snow removal with the FEL. It would probably handle light loads when cleaning out your stalls etc.

This is the smallest and least expensive tractor in the sub compact line from any of the major players, as far as I have seen. Others have mentioned the lesser known brands which would certainly give you more tractor capabilities for your money. As a true Kubota fan it pains me to say that I don't think the BX1500 would be the best fit in your situation. I personally think you will be wanting more out of it than it can give you once you see what tractor life is all about.

You should consider the "off name" brands to maximize the amount of "bang for your buck" or buy the lawn tractor for the mowing and have the drive plowed. You can have a lot of plowing done for the $7000 difference!

Just my opinion, YMMV! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?) #10  
I hate to say this...but don't buy the bx1500. Too small for your needs in my opinion. Now I am biased for sure...I have a B2910 and a BX2200 and only 3.7 acres...

With 20 acres you need more. There is no doubt in my mind...even if you don't plan on dealing with it all at the moment.

The BX2200 is a small tractor...the BX1500 is a tiny tractor...if funds are limited, you will probably get more for your money if you stay away from the big three and go to the lesser know, better value products.

It would be very helpful if you find a dealer of one of the lesser known brands close by. Repairs and service are real important. Buying the best value is a losing proposition if your tractor breaks and you cannot get it fixed for months.

Honestly, I wrote off the bx1500 for my needs, and I only have under 4 acres...and I have the B2910 to do the bigger stuff.

Research the off brands...see what dealers are relatively close...and buy something that will work for you over the long haul...

The only bad tractor is a broken tractor that can't be fixed relatively quickly. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck in your decision...