Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?)

/ Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?) #31  
And the 500 acres to use it on! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?) #32  
JeffreyG,

Welcome to TBN! I'm usually with the crowd that opts for the biggest tractor you can afford. (I've got a B2910 on 2/3 acre, so I follow my own advice. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

Anyway, I think you need to look at a bit more than just the price of the various tractors you're looking at. Try to assess what their value is to you. Keep in mind that quality tractors don't generally depreciate as rapidly as cars, so they retain their dollar value much longer. Usually, their greatest depreciation is within the first couple years, and compared to autos, the percentage is much less.

Personally, I think spending the money on a "departent store" tractor is a waste. If you need a short term solution, it's O.K., but they generally won't hold up to long-term or heavy use.

Although I would "love" to see you get a BX2200 or even bigger, I think the BX1500 is a quite capable tractor IF you understand it's limits. From your posts, it sounds like you're doing a lot of work by hand that your tractor could help you with.

IF you can swing the BX1500, I would seriously consider pricing one with the mower, loader and possibly a small rear 3 pt. snowblower. Finance rates are still low, so if you can take advantage of them, that can sometimes soften the sticker shock.

If you have to wait for the snowblower, then wait. From what you describe, I definitely would get the loader. If you don't, then everytime you reach for your wheel-barrow, you're going to look at your tractor just sitting there, and kick yourself for not getting the loader. And they are usually the best value at the time you buy your tractor.

Now, if you can swing a few more $$$ a month, then look at larger tractors. If you are really stretching (but do-able) to get the BX1500, then I'd advise you to get that model. (I would also check the other name brands for comparison, but I personally favor Kubota.) Consult your local dealers and see what they recommend. If you "hit it off" with one dealer better than another, that might help with your decision.

I was in a similar situation over 3 years ago and I bought what I felt was the best value. I'm still happy with my purchase.

Good Luck,

~Rick

/ Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?) #33  
I think your on track by considering the bx2200 and getting the fel at a later date. Given your circumstances I would consider that as well.

/ Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?) #34  
OK, here's what I'd do.

Go to your local JD dealer and tell him you've got $10K to spend on a 4010 with a RFM. By my figuring, this should be possible (before sales tax). Get a used back blade to push snow this winter, maybe $200? The 4010 is the next step up from a sub-compact tractor. I've not pushed snow with a BB myself but I'd think this combo could get more work done faster than anything in the sub-compact catagory.

You can figure out down the road what the path forward is from there. Get a FEL for the 4010, get a grey market tractor for the fun stuff, trade-up (JD's hold there value well).

JD has some of the best terms on financing around including 0/0 for 36 Mo. which might be a factor.

Jim

/ Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?) #35  
Good post from Rick (but wow, a B2910 on 2/3 acre? you are a serious tractor guy! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif).

It really sounds like you'd benefit greatly by getting something that will handle an FEL. Price shop the various brands and see what you can get in your area. We wound up with a Kubota B7300, which is (was - don't think they make 'em any more) one of the cheaper "larger" CUTs. But for finish mowing around the house the price of a mower deck for that mahcine was more than the cost of a small lawn tractor (got a JD, which sees nearly as much use as the Kubota).

BTW, I strongly recommend getting the FEL at time of purchase - you'll get a much better price on it. And from what I've read about the work you're doing, you will not be disappointed with having one. Plus, you'll want to either sell your wheelbarrow at a garage sale - or shoot it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

/ Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?) #36  
I will again suggest that you look at the Chinese or Korean tractors considering your cash availability. These tractor are a very good deal. I have a Jinma 184 as I said in a previous post and I have 13 1/2 acres with two horses and one on the way. I have had no real problems with it, a great tractor for the price.

/ Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?) #37  
I agree that Jinma' and Century are a great Value but then again maybe thats because I sell them /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Seriously the Jinma's have been good basic workhorses,It you can swing it the Century is far superior over the Jinma,good luck on your quest Photo's of Jinma & Century tractors

/ Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?) #38  
The next comment is meant to be a joke and only a joke.

Jeffrey G., I loved your comments about how the spending justification just keeps on getting higher. That is what happened to me, 1st a Snapper rider, then a JD4310. On the other hand, you could spend less and less. All you need is a Chinese scythe and snow shovel. Think of all the money you could save! Hopefully the wife will help so she can be included in any further costs justifications.

Good luck in your search...Kyle

/ Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?) #39  
I tend to mostly look into used for big ticket idems, but this...

<font color="red"> I have almost 0 mechanical ability. </font>

stops me from recamending it to you. Wile someone recamended a old full size tractor, this may work great, bit you WILL have to tinker. Me? I love working on things, and just got an old 8N. But if I had to pay someone to work on it, it would be cheeper to go new. Good luck on your search, and welcome to TBN /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Selecting a sub-compact for cheap (Kubota BX1500?) #40  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( pasture, and hand digging the holes. And I use snow shovels at the end of the driveway to make room for the snowblower to blow over the wall. )</font>

Well, the FEL would definately help you there! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif