Front-End Loader Self Leveling Loaders

/ Self Leveling Loaders #21  
Mike, how is the range of motion altered with a hydraulic self leveling system? :confused: I know that range of motion can be a problem with some of the mechanical types, but I don't see how it affects a hydraulic type.

Brian,
I probably am showing my ignorance in the matter, in which case I am glad that you called me on it. The limitation of range idea is based on my understanding of how the Alo loader worked in a brochure that I have somewhere. But now that I think about it, I wonder if I were wrong about that.:confused: I will have to look for that brochure and see for myself again.

Mike

/ Self Leveling Loaders #22  
Mike, I know for sure that the hydraulic self leveling loader on my 7520 Mahindra has the same range and motion as the loader that does not have the self leveling option. Other than that and I am speculating about others. But like I said, I believe that the mechanical self leveling loaders do indeed have some motion limitations at different heights. (I believe at the top & bottom locations)

/ Self Leveling Loaders #23  
I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. Someone said something about a lock on the bottom of the FEL joystick. I have a Lock lever under mine and haven't the slightest clue what it's for. It's a MF 1060 FEL is self leveling what that is?
My Massey is down at the moment (lift pump) and will have to work on it after the rain tomorrow (Sat. I guess) just to be able to test this theory.

/ Self Leveling Loaders #24  
I was shocked to find my CUT didn't have self leveling loader after I took delivery. I just assumed after using skidsteers and BHs that all loaders were SL, I've gotten pretty proficient at manually leveling as I'm lifting. But in my opinion it should be standard, just for safety's sake. An inexperienced operator could easily get themselves hurt simply by fully raising a curled bucket full of a material/load that could roll out the back onto them.

That lack of SL really comes into play with fork use :(

JB.

/ Self Leveling Loaders #25  
I put a loader on my tractor about a year ago. Love having that attachment, but I have run into numerous situations where it is PITA making curl adjustments while lifting or lowering.

I bought the loader used, since my tractor is a 1978 model and I got it for a good price. My next tractor loader combo will have self leveling feature that can be turned on or off.

Mike

/ Self Leveling Loaders #26  
Stupid question time: On my B21 TLB, there is mechanical linkage that keeps the loader bucket from dumping stuff back on you. So it's not self leveling in as much as you learn to manually keep it level as you raise it but it does keep the bucket from going past level (if it was say full of dirt or sand) and dumping the bucket contents back on you.

What's the right name for that? :confused2:

Pete

/ Self Leveling Loaders #27  
Stupid question time: On my B21 TLB, there is mechanical linkage that keeps the loader bucket from dumping stuff back on you. So it's not self leveling in as much as you learn to manually keep it level as you raise it but it does keep the bucket from going past level (if it was say full of dirt or sand) and dumping the bucket contents back on you.

What's the right name for that? :confused2:

Pete

Does it actually stop the bucket or does it just show you the position of the bucket.

If it just shows you the position and allows you do adjust to keep the bucket level. That's called the bucket level indicator.

The dif brands have their own way of doing it. My JD has a sliding bar with a bend in it, when the bend hits the mark it's level. It moves the bar in a dif direction making it very easy to pick up visually, some are as simple as a mark painted on a rod.

JB.

/ Self Leveling Loaders #28  
Does it actually stop the bucket or does it just show you the position of the bucket.

If it just shows you the position and allows you do adjust to keep the bucket level. That's called the bucket level indicator.

The dif brands have their own way of doing it. My JD has a sliding bar with a bend in it, when the bend hits the mark it's level. It moves the bar in a dif direction making it very easy to pick up visually, some are as simple as a mark painted on a rod.

JB.

The bucket level indicators that I have seen usually are set to have the bucket level at ground level. If you want to keep your bucket level as you raise it, you best not keep it at the spot indicated on the level indicator.:eek:

/ Self Leveling Loaders #29  
There is mechanical linkage from the bucket back to the SCV joystick such that as you lift the bucket, it will not tilt back such that it could dump the load on you. It will push the joystick just like you would do as it raises. So it's not level in the sense of the indicator (it has one of those on the bucket), but level in the sense that if the bucket was full of water, it would not spill any out the back side of the bucket as you raised the bucket.

Hoping someone with B21 or similar Kubota experience knows what I'm talking about.... The self leveler as per the JD CX series makes sense, this is not the same concept.

Pete

Last edited:
   / Self Leveling Loaders #30  
The bucket level indicators that I have seen usually are set to have the bucket level at ground level. If you want to keep your bucket level as you raise it, you best not keep it at the spot indicated on the level indicator.:eek:

Yup, Your right it's such second nature to me, I do use the indicator all the time to level bucket to the ground surface, but just learned over time how to judge rough level when raised or keep from dumping anything over the back. Bucket level indicator definitely doesn't work when loader is raised.

But you just made me think of a redneck invention. How about a simple gravity pendulum type bucket level indicator that would work through out the full range of the loader's lift. Like the same concept as the tilt meters. I think that has been discussed before.

There is mechanical linkage from the bucket back to the SCV joystick suck that as you lift the bucket, it will not tilt back such that it could dump the load on you. It will push the joystick just like you would do as it raises. So it's not level in the sense of the indicator (it has one of those on the bucket), but level in the sense that if the bucket was full of water, it would not spill any out the back side of the bucket as you raised the bucket.

Hoping someone with B21 or similar Kubota experience knows what I'm talking about.... The self leveler as per the JD CX series makes sense, this is not the same concept.

Pete

Wow that's interesting, never seen or heard of that!

JB.