Service truck business

/ Service truck business #11  
Ryan,
You're right.
You should go with what you know (older equip) for your main focus, but don't be afraid to learn the new stuff either. If you see a technician from a dealershi[ working on some of the newer stuff, don't be afraid to go over and watch what he's doing. Strike up a conversation with him and if he's an okay fellow, he'll be glad to tell you what he's doing and let you learn a little from him. You'd be amazed how much you can learn about the newer equipment just by watching and talking to some of the guys from the dealerships.

And you never know, you may even teach one of them something.

Mark

/ Service truck business #12  
Problem with the newer equipment is you'll need some diagnostic tools which aren't cheap, usually....if the MFG will let you have them, that is.

/ Service truck business #13  
Thanks for the advice mark. Im just kinda nervous bout everything still. I've heard both sides good and bad. So far jus been honest with the people i have done work for in the past and they come back when they need somthing. So i agree honesty is best. Im jus hoping i can get in at the right time. Im hoping i can aim on the older equipment repair and some welding/fabrication jobs. I dont have the knowledge or technolgy to work on this new stuff. Thats what worries me

You probably already know this but there is a website from Baker Hughes that shows the locations of all active rigs and can be drilled down to your area. You will still need to do research but it could put you onto some business contacts.

Sounds like you have a good plan so far. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Baker Hughes - Investor Relations - Rig Counts

/ Service truck business
Well guys im thinking im goin start gathering up some large tools like 1-1/2" and up. And keep looking or gather stuff up to build a bed over the winter. I bought a few proto wrenches on ebay lastnite. 1-5/16,1-1/2",1-5/8",1-7/8". Got them around $20 each. Not bad considering they go between $70-300 each new. I mite need sell somethings to make lil extra working capital. I also need learn more bout business side of things. Like LLC or whatever. Its all new to me.

/ Service truck business #16  
Well guys im thinking im goin start gathering up some large tools like 1-1/2" and up. And keep looking or gather stuff up to build a bed over the winter. I bought a few proto wrenches on ebay lastnite. 1-5/16,1-1/2",1-5/8",1-7/8". Got them around $20 each. Not bad considering they go between $70-300 each new. I mite need sell somethings to make lil extra working capital. I also need learn more bout business side of things. Like LLC or whatever. Its all new to me.

How do you intend to get customers?

/ Service truck business
Well im goin talk to my current employer that is wanting to hire service trucks and see if can work out a deal before i quit and go out on my own. Hoping the coal mine will be my main customer. My uncle already has done contract work for him like new liners on 992 loader buckets,d-11 blades,etc. My boss was wanting to hire him and his truck full time to do this stuff, because the main welder retired. My uncle is wanting to cut back and do more jus for hobby. I already have some of his customers coming my way asking when im goin set a truck up. So im hoping jus word of mouth and some local advertising.

/ Service truck business #18  
Well im goin talk to my current employer that is wanting to hire service trucks and see if can work out a deal before i quit and go out on my own. Hoping the coal mine will be my main customer. My uncle already has done contract work for him like new liners on 992 loader buckets,d-11 blades,etc. My boss was wanting to hire him and his truck full time to do this stuff, because the main welder retired. My uncle is wanting to cut back and do more jus for hobby. I already have some of his customers coming my way asking when im goin set a truck up. So im hoping jus word of mouth and some local advertising.

That's a good start. At least you have some contacts that can become customers. And, word if mouth can be the best advertising out there, in the right circumstances. Again, good luck. I hope you do well.

/ Service truck business
Well ive been looking for a bed. Cant find much. I did find one utilty bed with the 14,000lb maintainer crane and hyd. Outriggers that i wanted. Its 4ft longer than i need and needs couple more boxes added and some stuff like that but its in like new shape and at less than half the price of a new one. I could lengthen my truck frame and move axle back 4ft. Ive done this in past on other semi's. The extra storage could be used.

/ Service truck business #20  
Hopefully you will have a good bookeeper.
I was a field service mechanic for the local Cat dealer up here long ago, and I can't even imagine doing that type of work for a living again. You have to remember that you don't always have the luxury of driving right up to a broken down machine. After you pack your tools in a mile or so you'll think twice. But then I guess you can be selective on what you work on too, but that doesn't last very long. And sometimes the owners don't want to wait for spring either. Good luck.