Setup for maintaining 5 acres

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #1  

Sammyh

Tractor
NortTrac 25HP w/FEL
Hello all, nice community you've got going...

I need help in deciding on a tractor setup. I've looked for used, but all tractors hold value so well, it's a waste. Money IS one of the most important factors though.

I really just want something small that has a Cat. 1 hitch on it.

I've really narrowed down to either Kubota or a NorTrac.

Kubota is nice because I've got a local dealer around the corner, and I hear it's a better product(I really have no idea).
With the Kubotas though I don't know if I'm better suited for a BX2200 sub-compact or a B series Compact.

I think if I did go with a compact, the price difference would send me to NorTrac , I could go 25hp for ALOT cheaper than a 21hp Kubota

The main things the tractor will do is lawn are and snow removal. I will definately put a bucket on for small dirt projects, although I may end up spending some time making a small track for my dirt-bike. I plan to plant a small plot next year also. The driveway will also need grading.

My land is very flat, not many trees, about 3.5 acres lawn, the rest field.

What differences should I expect between a Sub-Compact and a Compact?

Will Ag tires tear up my lawn on these size tractors.

Thank you very much for any help.

-Sam

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #2  
I find my sub compact does fine with my three acres.
Ag tires do not tear up my lawn. I have clay based soil with tall fescue grass. Takes under 2 hours to cut.
My JD2210 is comparable to the BX2200 or the Massey GC2300.

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres
Is the GC2300 being sold yet? I've seen this sites spec list, but not anywhere else.

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #4  
The GC2300 is on the market and available.

As for your choices of equipment, figure out what will do the job the fastest and the best. A lot of us out here will push our brand or steer you to a type because that is what we know.

I will tell you this, find someone who you trust to service what you buy and buy from them. Upfront price is not always the best consideration.

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #5  
Check under the Massey forum. There is some info on the GC2300.

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #6  
I have a used Yanmar Tractor, they made about all the compacts for John Deere for a while. I understand they still make some of them, and the engines for a lot of the cuts. You will also need probably a brushog, if you keep the blades shape, they will do you a pretty good job. That is what I use except right up to the house, I use a lawn tractor there. And if you don't have too much drive way you can get by with a rear blade and drive it backward to clear it. Your snows there isn't too heavy at least the most of the time, so that will work. That is about what I have, but don't get any or hardly any snow here. I've only got about $3000 in mine, tractor blade and brushog. I think its was $3200, but anyway if you watch what you are buying you can get a good used. You might have to do some little thing to them sometimes, but not that much, they are good little tractors. Beats putting a lot of money into a new one. I take care of my 7+ acres with mine.

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #7  
I'd stick with the sub-compact for your uses. They will handle the same decks as the smaller compacts, are more manuverable for mowing, and will handle your other jobs as well. The bar tires are fine on a well established lawn, they will tear up areas with fine, sparse grass or areas that are wet. A true ag tire on a compact will destroy the lawn, but an R-4 or a bar turf would be ok. The compact will be a heavier tractor with heavier loader and three point capacities, better traction, but not always more HP or a bigger mower deck. Hope this helps, Happy Shopping!

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #8  
Sam,
Looking for a tractor I have one you may be intrested in. 1802D Yanmar with a new 110 Koyker loader Ready to work. Live in Harbor Beach MI. Give me a call for more info. To see a picture of just the tractor go to

The link to look at the pictures is:

http://pages.sssnet.com/rjsmag/Tractor/

The pictures all start with 1802D I have sold the other 2
Just copy and paste the link into your browser.

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #9  
I'd stay with a sub compact, there isn't any good reason to have a 20 acre tractor on a 5 acre spread. So it takes longer to do a job, the jobs are smaller.

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #10  
Sammyh,

If you are set on a sub-compact then the ones that have been listed all seem to be good choices.

Kubota BX1500/BX1800/BX2200
John Deere 2210
Massey Ferguson GC2300

If you can afford to wait for their release, then you may want to look at the New Holland TZ Series of sub-compacts. There has been another thread on this site regarding these units. New Holland makes some quality compacts so I would think you could expect the same out of their sub-compacts.

TZ18DA/TZ24DA Spec Page 1
TZ18DA/TZ24DA Spec Page 2

Personally, I think you should go with what you can afford. Determine your budget and then buy within that budget. I would go for more HP up front instead of implements. You can always find good deals on used implements along the way. You can never have too much machine. If you can afford a compact, then you should go with a compact. I have seen many users on this site with 5 acre lots that have 30-45HP compacts. I have a 6+ acre lot and I have been looking in the 30-35HP range. With that said, I'm probably buying within my budget rather than for my lot.

The biggest difference between sub-compacts and compacts are some of the following:
* Less hydraulic pump output
* Less 3PH capacity
* Less FEL lift capacity
* Less weight
* Less ground clearance
* Less 3PH control
* Smaller implements/attachments

If you can afford it, you should look at the compacts. The price difference between the BX2200 and the B7500 is around $1500 ... I think. I have heard on this site that they plan on discontinuing the B7500 and I see several of them on dealer lots. Maybe you can get a deal on one. Others to look at in the B7500 range would be the JD 4110 and NH TC21D.

You could always look at used and get more bang for your buck.

With that said, read posts on this site and you will find many people who love and swear by their Kubota BX or JD 2210 machines. In the end, you will probably be happy with just about anything you get.

One note about the ag tires. Keep in mind when you are reading posts about ags on this site, they are referring to compact tires and not sub-compact tires. From what I have seen, I don't think you need to worry about tearing up your lawn with sub-compact ag tires. Ag tires on a compact tractor would be another story.