Setup for maintaining 5 acres

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #21  
I drove to three states and didn't see any deals that good /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif lol. I do think you got a peach of a buy. Many I looked at were from guys who just had a few and painted them up in their own garage. No implents to test the hydraulics or any thing like that. I did find a couple of real good guys that deal in the Yanmars. I never did see one but I think it was the F18 that had my interest the most. The little chineese tractors (Jinma) seems to be selling through several different lables the same tractor. They sure offer a lot for very little $$$. I'd have to use one to be a believer though. Dave

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #22  
I have to agree, I looked at the FarmPro at Homiers the other day. It sure looked good. But my wife wasn't feeling good that day, so we didn't stay long. They are coming here in a month or two, so I will look again. For the money they really look good. The dealer I bought my Yanmar from has been in the business for a long time, and sells a lot of tractors. When you go there, you have to wait a while to talk to him, as there seems to always be someone ahead of you that he selling to. Of course at his prices, you can see why.

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #23  
Seems to me we drifted away from helping recommend a set up for 5 acres!?!

So here is 2 more cents worth on the original topic:

A Grey Market tractor is a fine tractor if you want lowest prices and basic features. Some are better than others. Do NOT think that grey market used tractor gives you the same features as a new CUT because they do not. Some have plenty of parts available and some do not. Hydrostatic trans is not available. Some have non standard 2pt hitches. Some have non standard PTO speeds. Many have been converted to our standards, some have not. Rarely do you find safety features like ROPS & seat belts, some have auto shut offs when you get (fall) out of the seat, some have PTO shields. Most have live PTOs.

A new Chinese import is probably the closest new tractor to a Grey Market tractor because they are very basic machines at low comparitive costs. Parts are typically available, but not always plentiful. I don't know of any with hydrostatic trans as an option. Safety features missing on the grey market tractors are standard.

A used older utility tractor (Oliver Super 55, Ford NAA, Ford 8N, Ferguson, etc) is cheap and capable, but hard to turn and tear up lawns (I can post pictures of this first hand if you want to see what an old tractor can do when it gets wet outside). These tractors are probably too big to use on just 5 acres unless you are actually farming it. Safety features are non-existant. Some of the more modern units have things like a live PTO, many do not.

A used compact utility tractor is hard to find and will be more expensive than any of the above options and probably not worth the price becuause they seem to be holding their price when compared to a new one. If you can find one at a good price, it will have a standard cat 1 3pt hitch and at least a rear mounted 540pto. Safety features like ROPS and seat belts are on 90% of the used ones unless they are really old.

A new CUT is an expensive unit. For 5 acres you are looking at $10,000 - $11,000 for the basic tractor with hydrostatic transmission, typically with 2 gear ranges & some have cruise control and even come with a cup holder and front and rear lights. That will buy you a new JD, New Holland or Kubota without the mower deck, FEL, etc. But you get all the safety features, you get a 2 or 3 year warrenty, you get some piece of mind in a local dealership that will stand behind it. Parts are not a problem.

So the questions you need to ask are what can you afford to spend in time and in money? How much piece of mind do you want? How mechanical are you? Can you gamble on downtime or not? Etc.

I can tell you I have 4 tractors. 2 bought new, 1 bought barely running, and 1 bought well used. I recommend NEW to anyone with the budget for it. And further, I recommend buying a smaller new from a major supplier than a bigger new Chinese because I have not found anyone who bought a tractor with a hydro trans who would ever give it up (except for REAL farmers and they have a lot of reasons to use all the gears they can get). The Chinese tractors are probably fine but I don't know of any with hydrostatic transmissions. There are also very good Indian & Korean units with manual transmissions, all are cheaper than the major brands units that come in from Japan (JD, NH, Kubota).

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #25  
Sammyh,

I have 5 acres (although nowhere near flat but...). I bought a used JD 855 which is a hydro tractor and MFWD. (4WD) It came with a maschio tiller, and a small brush hog. I have purchased a 5 foot finish mower and a 5 foot box blade. I would have liked to have a post hole digger (aka PHD) but my soil is too rocky and my neighbors say they won't work.

My tractor size (24 HP) seems to be the perfect fit for me and doesn't seem to large for the property size. My most often used tool is the Front-End Loader (FEL). It sounds like from your note that your biggest use will be mowing those 3.5 acres. If it were me I'd look for something with a hydrostatic drive and a mid PTO/mower. You may not know it yet but you will want a FEL as this will be your new wheelbarrow. If I were shopping tractors again I'd look at a Kubota B7500/7800 or a New Holland TC30. I've heard Kioti now makes a hydro drive tractor but haven't seen much out here about them. I don't want to start a huge debate about the merits of a hydro versus a non-hydro drive tractor (I like them all) as we've had them again and again but I'm pretty sure most folks out here will agree that it is easier to mow with one.

I've heard good things about the newer Korean contingent of Branson and Century. You could get a brand new one of these pretty well outfitted for a fair amount less money.

Just my two cents. Good luck.

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #26  
How is disscussing the models that are appropriate to the origional thread drifting ? just curious. The origional poster mentioned his primary interest was in a Chineese model (NorTrac) aka Jinma that is carried by several lables includeing the companys that were being discussed such as hominie bros. I think that offering up several sources for potential purposes of competing prices is helping exactly as requested. I think I noticed in your post that you mention greys as well. Not really drifting as they are in the same cost range as the new user was requesting info on. How ever discussing models in excess of the origional posters desires to spend certainly seems like drift to me. I can not agree for a moment that a grey will definately NOT have the same features a a Jinma, although the Jinma seems like a better buy. Considering his price range I rather doubt he is shopping hydros, or FEL simply due to the cost. Dave

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #27  
Except, very few Yanmars have live ptos. But I think all of them have the 540 speed ptos, and 2 or sometimes 3 other speeds also. I have heard that some of the grey used chinese may have a pto that runs backward to ours, something to check if you are looking at an older one. Now the Yanmar does not have a hydrostatic trans, that is true, but they do have on the ones with the number ending in 10 or 20 a power shift, which you shift without using the clutch, so its almost the same but no slippage, like with a hydrostatic. And just about all of the Yanmars have a cat 1, 3 point hitch, some of the very small ones don't but most dealers put on the 3 when they sell them. And most all of them, that I know of have headlight also. And for 5 acres mostly flat, rops shouldn't be a big problem. We used tractors for many years without them, I agree on hills like I have it would be better to have them. But I'm getting along fine without them, maybe cause I was raised before anyone had them.

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #28  
Bob is absolutely right. You can certainly cut corners when buying a tractor and save money. But...

Remember that no matter what you spend it will be a fairly substantial amount of money. And the difference between spending $4K and $10K is significant.

*However* also bear in mind that what you are buying is something that you'll have to live with. There isn't a Disney movie called "Honey, I ran over the dog / garage / kid" because this is serious business. Yes, tractors are fun to own and use, but they are also one of the larger causes of death or serious injury.

If you are looking for something that will start up every time, accept the implements that it is designed for (according to the specifications of the tractor), then the best way to go is a major manufactured machine that was produced farily recently. An older or grey market tractor is a great choice for people that know tractors well and can handle the fabrication and operational chores that come with them.

Don't forget that you are dealing with your life, and everyone who gets near the tractor when you make your purchase.

I usually try not to hop on the soapbox. But I do feel strongly about making the right purchase for a capable machine - which will do you a lot of good but can also cause a lot of damage.

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #29  
Sorry but I dont think that is even close to being right. You can be corrrect but wrong minded. I think thats all I have to say on this one as I think its a pretty deliberate attempt to get unpleansant and that is drifting and not helpfull at all to the fellow who was asking for specefic help irrespective of any ones personal bias. The last few posters should thoroughly read the initial post. Kindest Regards, Dave

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #30  
<font color="blue"> I think its a pretty deliberate attempt to get unpleansant </font>

Do what? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kindest regards, indeed. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif