SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #11  
orgt said:
OK great, this is one of those models I wasn't aware of (many more out there I'm sure!) I'll add the 3204 in the next updated list (planning on doing this every so often if more folks help out putting the list together)

The GR2100 is a "drewl-machine" that we couldn't consider new because it retails for over 8K from what I could find. But a used one is definitely still on my mind, that would be great (but then so would a BX1850 which would also allow me to do all kinds of other things on the property, one can always dream LOL.)

So far the best deal I've heard of is a new BX1500 with 54'' mmm for $6050. Some Dealer in MD had it a while back.

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #12  
neverenough said:
The "Deere list"

Used 445-455's can be had in the $6000 and below range. 445 gas, 455 diesel. Less than 300 hours, is pretty much new.

You look to be on the right track with the CC's, they seem to fit well, in your criteria.
I'm looking for one of these but haven't seen any advertised anywhere yet.

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #13  
orgt said:
but it sounds like you and I have had the exact same experience with LEBJ (low-end belt junk) tracs. .

I have 2 old mid 60s belt drive Bolens tractors that are far from (LEBJ)
Belts have never been a problem with them.

It's not the belts MAN it's the Manufacturers.

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #14  
LBrown59 said:
I'm looking for one of these but haven't seen any advertised anywhere yet.

Best time to find them is in the spring. If you can wait until late spring, a lot of Deere dealers hold used inventory auctions and sell off all of them. Pretty tough to find a used tractor around here after late June, at a deere dealer. WWW.MACHINEFINDER.COM will search dealer inventories for you, as long as they put them online, a few dealers still don't.

Last edited:
   / SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #15  
orgt said:
Hi but it sounds like you and I have had the exact same experience with LEBJ (low-end belt junk) tracs. Is it a waste o' money or what!

I don't see any problem with belt driven tractors.
I've torn out 3 axles and both rear hubs on my 1966 Bolens belt driven tractor.
I Can imagine how many more things could be tore up on a tractor with a drive shaft.
I'd rather have a belt slip or break than replace transmission and drive train components. I's lots quicker easier and way way way cheeper.
A shaft drive mower sounds great for tearing things up when you hit a solid object when mowing.
----->>
......>>>

Last edited:
   / SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #16  
LBrown59 said:
I don't see any problem with belt driven tractors.
I've torn out 3 axles and both rear hubs on my 1966 Bolens belt driven tractor.
I Can imagine how many more things could be tore up on a tractor with a drive shaft.
I'd rather have a belt slip or break than replace transmission and drive train components. I's lots quicker easier and way way way cheeper.
A shaft drive mower sounds great for tearing things up when you hit a solid object when mowing.
----->>
......>>>

Funny I would rather not go free wheeling down a hill when a belt breaks - and that was a problem back in the day. I still have my 1968 IH Cub 125 on its original shaft, tranny and axles - Belts Stink IMO If you are forced to have them, then its nothing you can do but if you have the option then its a no brainer

Last edited:
   / SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #17  
ducati996 said:
Funny I would rather not go free wheeling down a hill when a belt breaks - and that was a problem back in the day. I still have my 1968 IH Cub 125 on its original shaft, tranny and axles - Belts Stink IMO If you are forced to have them, then its nothing you can do but if you have the option then its a no brainer
You can't free wheel either one of my Bolens Tractors Belt or no Belt broken or not.

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #18  
I have a 1979 Wheel Horse C-101 and A 1980 Wheel Horse C-145 garden tractor . Both are belt driven
I have Owned these machines for over 20 years and I have yet to ever break a drive belt..
I can also pull till I run these machines out of power or traction (whichever happens first) and never slip the drive belts.

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #19  
Thats good that it lasts - Im pretty sure the thread was about shaft drives and shaft attachments. Your not going to convince anyone that belt is as good or better then a shaft drive or shaft attachment. Its basically comparing good vs better and what the poster was asking for...

Besides that was twenty plus years ago and they are not made anywhere near as good these days -they guy is looking for new or close to it.
The Cubs will do the job over any belt driven competitor today

Last edited:
   / SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #20  
It is very hard to compare something from 20+ years ago with the belt drives of today. Sure, JD's 110, 112, and 200 series from the early 70's to late 80's were excellent examples of quality belt drive tractors, just like the Wheel Horses and others. They have changed dramatically over the years going from heavy belt driven cast iron manual gear drives to using lighter duty aluminum bodied hydrostatics like Peerless and Hydro-Gear, and the belt drives are considered to be lawn/yard tractors now. In fact the makers don't claim them to be anything more than that today.

But if you take a Cub Cadet 2500 or 3000 series, or a JD X700 and look at their shaft drive systems, they are very much the same design as used on their counterpart tractors of the past. It is a desireable feature, which is why these machines cost more today the same as they did in the past.

Honestly, it is easy to pick up a great used belt drive JD 200 series tractor or ? for under $1000 that with good care can last a lifetime, but will likely require some mechanical skills to provide that care. For comparing new to old, a new JD X300 or 500 simply do not have the tank like build quality of their belt drive 200 or 110-112 series of yesteryear, which more or less leads the shopper for a new higher end garden tractor to look at models with shaft drive now.

-Fordlords-