Share One Safety Tip

/ Share One Safety Tip #31  
I keep a cell phone ON me. Had a neihbor have a log roll onto his leg, he was out there for 3 hrs pinned with a badly broken leg before someone came looking.

You might not always have coverage and yes, your phone might get broken, but it's cheap insurance IMHO. Even on my small property I go hours without seeing someone and almost always work alone. My wife wouldn't miss me until diner time or the trash needing to go out so it could be a while:D

/ Share One Safety Tip #32  
Here's mine....When getting off a tractor with engine running, DON'T

Why anyone would get off a tractor while it running is beyond me. Number one it cost nothing to turn the tractor off and number two it takes a few seconds to restart it.

Now for some of the many things that can go wrong.

1 - It can slip into gear as you exit and can run you over.
2 - It can slip in gear and shoot off down.
3 - You can trip getting off hit the shifter and roll under the tires.
4 - You can hook a pant leg while it drops in gear and drags your lifeless body down the road till you hit a tree.
5 - You can slip hit your head fall onto the shifter lunging th tractor forward till you crash.
6- You can hit the fuel pedal on an auto tractor lunging it forward at the same time throwing you off under the read wheels.

7- Never get out of bed, too many bad things can happen. Dark closets are the only safe place.:rolleyes:

Seriously, Cat Driver.:thumbdown: How am I ever going to operate my 3PH log splitter or chipper/shredder if I don't get off a running tractor? Sheesh!:confused2:

EDIT: Oops! I forgot my safety tip. I always say that mowing with a rotary cutter is NOT a spectator sport. Make sure people stay far away so they can't be hit by thrown objects.

Last edited:
   / Share One Safety Tip #33  
I'll add two: ear protection and stay hydrated

/ Share One Safety Tip #36  
Here's mine....When getting off a tractor with engine running, DON'T

Why anyone would get off a tractor while it running is beyond me. Number one it cost nothing to turn the tractor off and number two it takes a few seconds to restart it.

Now for some of the many things that can go wrong.

1 - It can slip into gear as you exit and can run you over.
2 - It can slip in gear and shoot off down.
3 - You can trip getting off hit the shifter and roll under the tires.
4 - You can hook a pant leg while it drops in gear and drags your lifeless body down the road till you hit a tree.
5 - You can slip hit your head fall onto the shifter lunging th tractor forward till you crash.
6- You can hit the fuel pedal on an auto tractor lunging it forward at the same time throwing you off under the read wheels.

That is a little over the top.... especially with hydrostatic drive. I'd have to fall,knock the thing in gear and....since I get off on the left side my foot would have to reach over to the opposite side of the tractor ,push on the pedal to enable the tractor to roll forward/backward and not let off of it, because as soon as I did the tractor would stop,thereby blowing my chances of getting run over....I guess if you have really...really long legs,it could happen....and your shoelaces got wrapped around the pedal...or your toe jam gelled at the wrong time....
I dunno...I think for this scenario it would have to be,as Geronimo stated"heap big medicine"...............or someone didnt think this thru

Last edited:
   / Share One Safety Tip #37  
When parking your tractor or equipment on hilly ground, park accross the hill versus parking nose up or down hill. This reduces the potential of equipment run away due to failure of your breaking or securing system.

It only takes a moment to position you tractor and/or equipment across the hill side, but it can prevent or greatly reduce the chances of a catastrophic incident.

Nick, North West Farmer

/ Share One Safety Tip #39  
When parking your tractor or equipment on hilly ground, park accross the hill versus parking nose up or down hill. This reduces the potential of equipment run away due to failure of your breaking or securing system.

It only takes a moment to position you tractor and/or equipment across the hill side, but it can prevent or greatly reduce the chances of a catastrophic incident.

Nick, North West Farmer

I will add one more related to this. Make sure that your parking brakes are adjusted properly so they can hold your tractor on a steep hill. From the factory mine couldn't hold my tractor on a slightly inclined driveway, let alone some of the hills I have been working on lately. Mine are so strong now my wife doesn't have enough leg strength to set them but they will hold securely on the scariest of hills. Usually there are turnbuckles on rods, jiggle the brakes and follow the movement until you find them.

/ Share One Safety Tip #40  
if on a slope in a plain non synchro gear tractor don't take it out of gear.. :) might not get it back in.. :)