Shipping Containers

/ Shipping Containers #11  
I don't have power there, these are in theory a temporary fix, and I will move them into the woods and maybe bury them in the future, so no permanent stuff. I am going to get some smaller screens than I had originally used in there, I want something that will be firmer/smaller holes. No mice allowed!!

@ning I also considered a one-tripper on my first buy, I was going to get one, but my cousin had a few used ones and work and showed me what some paint could do. I got a sprayer from sherwin williams and now the thing looks almost brand new except for a few hard to notice dents. I decided I would do it again, I power washed before as well. The paint color I chose was "cast iron" it is a matte green, somewhere between light and forest, blends in well. Mine is on gravel and a slope, but not anything underneath. I know I could but...it drains very well and is never wet, so I'm not going to bother. Post up a few pics! Mine is a 7-10 day delivery, so I'll have to wait a few days to post.

@buck12 Depending on how far you are from the shipping docks, delivery can be a big difference, I am about 3-3.5 hours from closest docks and shipping has been MORE than the cost of the actual container for me. If you can pick it up yourself you can really snag a deal!

I am less than an hour from several major rail yards so shipping is very reasonable.

/ Shipping Containers #12  
My tractor lives in my storage container year round, never an issue with condensation or anything else. Was a good investment.

Jer

20181208_135320.jpg

/ Shipping Containers #13  
We have a 20 footer, i put concrete footings under the 4 corners to raise it of the ground a bit to provide airflow , also built a 6x6 carport over top with the overhang to the side providing a carport. We also harvest stormwater from it.

/ Shipping Containers
Encouraging to hear! I ordered the HC container Monday, should be here by next week I am hoping. Tractor is supposed to be here this week, but looking like next possibly at this point.

@koshari, post some pics of your carport if you don't mind. I've considered adding one.

/ Shipping Containers #15  
I bought a standard 40' box 20 years ago to store my tractor, mowers, and plows in. I've always wanted to get another and build a roof between them.
I put mine on 8 railroad ties on concrete leveling piers and a gravel bed.
Unfortunately my current L4060 cab tractor doesn't fit in it height wise.

/ Shipping Containers #16  
I'm on my third 40 foot container, but they have all been standard height containers. The first two didn't have very good ventilation and I had some condensation issues. I stored some 4 wheelers in one container and my tractor in the other one. I had to fold the ROPS over on the tractor to get it in there, but hopefully yours will be tall enough to not have to do that. It was a tight fit, but I could still walk past the tractor to get to the shelves I built for storage further into the container.

On my current container, I have a 2x2 vent cut into the bottom of the wall close to the doors and a spinning roof vent on the ceiling at the other end of the container. This creates air flow inside the container. The air is drawn in at the lowest point and then flows through the full length of the container to the other end, and out the ceiling. This has completely eliminated any condensation issues. I have found no sign of mold, moisture or smell in almost ten years that I've had it vented like this.

/ Shipping Containers #17  
I'm on my third 40 foot container, but they have all been standard height containers. The first two didn't have very good ventilation and I had some condensation issues. I stored some 4 wheelers in one container and my tractor in the other one. I had to fold the ROPS over on the tractor to get it in there, but hopefully yours will be tall enough to not have to do that. It was a tight fit, but I could still walk past the tractor to get to the shelves I built for storage further into the container.

On my current container, I have a 2x2 vent cut into the bottom of the wall close to the doors and a spinning roof vent on the ceiling at the other end of the container. This creates air flow inside the container. The air is drawn in at the lowest point and then flows through the full length of the container to the other end, and out the ceiling. This has completely eliminated any condensation issues. I have found no sign of mold, moisture or smell in almost ten years that I've had it vented like this.

Good post EW.

Your solution makes a lot of sense.

/ Shipping Containers #18  
I've been thinking about one for years, just never got it done.. I'm not sure where I would put it anyway, really don't want to block view.

/ Shipping Containers
I bought a standard 40' box 20 years ago to store my tractor, mowers, and plows in. I've always wanted to get another and build a roof between them.
I put mine on 8 railroad ties on concrete leveling piers and a gravel bed.
Unfortunately my current L4060 cab tractor doesn't fit in it height wise.

That's why I went with the HC for my new one, I think I might squeak into a regular one, but I'd rather not push it.

/ Shipping Containers

I have added a few vents the other day to mine, I haven't had issues yet. On the new one I was going to do what you are talking about, add lower vent on one end and then use an RV vent for the roof near the other end. They make a shield for the roof vents so that rain/snow won't get in as well for about $30-$40.