Shop Radio Suggestions

/ Shop Radio Suggestions #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
I work better when I have something to listen to. I like Cartalk on Saturday mornings, Prairie Home Companion on Saturday afternoons, jazz on Friday and Saturday nights, and country when I work out in the shop on weeknights (mostly because I can't get jazz on weeknights).

My radio that I keep out in the garage is dying a slow death. My wife got me a new radio/CD player for christmas, but it's nice enough that I may want to keep it inside. I'm wondering if anyone else has done the homework to find out what are some good options for a fairly rugged radio that works good for a shop or garage.

/ Shop Radio Suggestions #2  
Do you have any cordless tools?

If so , get the radio made by your brand of tools/

I have mostly Dewalt, so i have the Dewalt radio. Its waterproof and doubles as a charger for DW batts . It will run all day (8hr+) on a 18V battery. Sound quality is adequate, plus it accepts my ipod.

Only problem is the reception isnt as good for the weaker distant stations, but it picks up the locals fine.

Its a pretty tough unit and i recommend it.

I understand the other brands (bosch, makita, milwalkee) are all pretty good too,

If i was just buying a radio, unconcerned about matching what i have, id likely go with milwalkee or ridgid. Milwalkee's had a few nice features like a 12v cig outlet for charging cells or ipods, and a beer opener :D.

Ridgid's model has a dust tight dedicated slot with an actual plugin for ipod charging and control, which is way better than dewalts or milwalkes phono jack setup. Ridgid also has a 12V jack.

Sound wise, ive heard the bosch, and IMHO it has the cleanest sound. I believe the bosch also comes with a remote control.

So i guess it depends what your after, theres different benefits to each
Of course a new clock radio is cheaper :D

/ Shop Radio Suggestions #3  
I got mine from Trash to Treasure at the landfill, nice big stereo tuner. People give them away too when they upgrade their house centers to Iwhatever. I would look on craigslist and such.

/ Shop Radio Suggestions #4  
RCA super radio. Portable but heavy. Superior sound and reception. A better radio would cost lots more. You'll be surprised at the price.

/ Shop Radio Suggestions #5  
If you live near by college check b-boards,students purchase real nice sound systems than want to unload for next to nothing.

/ Shop Radio Suggestions #6  
I have a small Radio Shack portable radio that runs on AC or batteries. Like you I listen to public radio. Looked for the model on their website but didn't find it. Not carried in all stores either. Black, about 9" long 6" high, 2-1/2" thick, very rounded edges. Was less than $30 but don't remember exactly. Good enough sound & AC-DC is a plus. Only minus is the retractable antenna, which is why I'm on my second radio. Broke the antenna on the first one & couldn't find a replacement. MikeD74t

Just found out my radio is a GE 7-2664, may not be available anymore.

Last edited:
   / Shop Radio Suggestions #7  
With insert plugs and the muffs on alongside the whining equipment I wouldn't hear much of anything. Peace and quiet is usually appreciated after the noise abuse.:D:D

/ Shop Radio Suggestions #8  
I just hit the yard sales and find a boom box for low money. A contractor had one of those fancy tool brand boxes at work. They opened it up to repair a broken speaker wire. The guts of that thing was no more sophisticated than any cheap boom box.

/ Shop Radio Suggestions #9  
Something I don't understand: It seems like the better the radio, the worse the reception. I have a cheap little GE portable that I've had for years, and it gets everything, including NPR for the aforementioned shows. When I hook up a regular receiver, like from a home stereo, I lose about half the stations. It's not just this rig; I've seen the problem before. We have the same problem with the radio at work- it's a stereo receiver, and it's terrible. Hooking up an antenna does little good. Portables do just fine in the same room. Another odd thing I've noticed is that my little portable behaves differently depending upon where I plug it in. If I plug it in near the door opening, reception is terrible, and greatly affected by people walking by. If I plug it in in the back of the garage, it works fine. The weird part is- I can place the radio near the door and run an extension cord to the back outlet, and it works fine! So it's not the physical location of the radio, it's something about the outlet itself. How's the reception with those jobsite radios? My old GE is gettin' pretty long i the tooth, but I'm afraid to buy something that won't work as well.

/ Shop Radio Suggestions #10  
I use Prokop's method. I got mine for free. A friend got a new stereo for his garage and gave me his old one. Mine is an old SoundDesign AM/FM stereo with dual cassette player/ recorder. It works quite well playing tunes. Once in a while I watch the free TV I won in a raffle at work. They bought a new TV with built in DVD / VHS player and raffled off the old TV.

Attachments

• 002 [640x480].JPG
    002 [640x480].JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 68