Shop Radio Suggestions

/ Shop Radio Suggestions #11  
Something I don't understand: It seems like the better the radio, the worse the reception. I have a cheap little GE portable that I've had for years, and it gets everything, including NPR for the aforementioned shows. When I hook up a regular receiver, like from a home stereo, I lose about half the stations. It's not just this rig; I've seen the problem before. We have the same problem with the radio at work- it's a stereo receiver, and it's terrible. Hooking up an antenna does little good. Portables do just fine in the same room. Another odd thing I've noticed is that my little portable behaves differently depending upon where I plug it in. If I plug it in near the door opening, reception is terrible, and greatly affected by people walking by. If I plug it in in the back of the garage, it works fine. The weird part is- I can place the radio near the door and run an extension cord to the back outlet, and it works fine! So it's not the physical location of the radio, it's something about the outlet itself. How's the reception with those jobsite radios? My old GE is gettin' pretty long i the tooth, but I'm afraid to buy something that won't work as well.

my dewalt has decent reception. Id say middle of the road. The best feature is digital tuning no more hunting for stations.

The antenna is a flexible rubber one for durability. This is part of the reason reception is only average. Rubber antennas arent quite as good as the metal extendable ones IMHO

/ Shop Radio Suggestions #12  
Mine was left when we bought the farm from my inlaws. It's from around 197? complete with AM/FM "stereo" and EIGHT TRACK! Yes, 8 track and still worked last time we tried it.:D It works for what we need. I usually just use it to pick up Red Stegall's Cowboy Corner when I'm working in the shop.

Jay

/ Shop Radio Suggestions #13  
You can try those satellite the desk model radios and get jazz 24/7

/ Shop Radio Suggestions
It sounds like for a shop there are two options... Go expensive (Milwaukee/Dewalt, etc. job site radio) or go cheap (thrift store, second hand, cheap little radio,etc.).

/ Shop Radio Suggestions #15  
I use to have a radio with an analog tuner in the garage. I had lots of trouble with the tuning drifting due to temperature variations. I replaced it with a digital (crystal reference) radio and that problem was eliminated.
The analog tuner has a turn knob tuning and a thermometer style frequency display. The digitals have a digital frequency display and push button tuning.

/ Shop Radio Suggestions #16  
. I had lots of trouble with the tuning drifting due to temperature variations. I replaced it with a digital (crystal reference) radio and that problem was eliminated.

That right there is worth the price of admission :) Nothing more annoying the your radio "going out of tune" as soon as you walk away from it.

/ Shop Radio Suggestions #17  
In our garage I have an old am/fm portable radio with the metal antenna and dial tuning/volume. It runs on AC or battery. I think I got it from one of my sisters about 30 years ago. Cheap and simple. Works during power outages. I see them around at junk stores, salvage shops, etc... for a couple bucks. I have it hanging on a nail up high on the wall for better reception. I guess it depends on the sound quality you want. :)

/ Shop Radio Suggestions
I went ahead and hung the new radio I got for Christmas in the garage/shop.

The deciding factor for me was that the clock display was small enough it wouldn't do me much good as a clock-radio in my bedroom. Now that I have it hung, I really like it. The fact that it's wall mountable freed up some shelf space. The sound is pretty good, and the reception is better than what I had.

I'm still deciding whether I like the remote control idea or not. By the time I dig the remote out of my pocket, take my gloves off so I can navigate the little buttons, and make whatever change I want; it would have been faster to just walk over to the radio to make the changes.

/ Shop Radio Suggestions #20  
I suggest you still keep an option out for a garage sale/Salvation Army/Goodwill/Craigslist boomBox. The dirt, flys, mud wasps, welder slag, and neighbor kids tend to have a bad effect on shop radidios. If this is not a problem, why not go for the Bose Wave system? Are you a cheapskate when it comes to good tunes? :D Put the wife's deal in the basement...