Should I buy another compact tractor or something entirely different?

/ Should I buy another compact tractor or something entirely different? #41  
I have been running a Deere 955 with a 5 foot front snowblower, no cab for 15 years, clearing about 8000 sq feet of driveway and access roads at a southern Maine horse farm. You can clear an amazing amount of snow with this, and you quickly learn when to blow and when to plow without a cab. Not having the rear blower neck ache helps offset the required snowsuit and goggles exercise. Unfortunately the cost of front and rear snowblowing skyrockets when you transition from mechanical PTO drive to hydraulic drive with the newer Frontier larger blowers on the over 40hp tractors.

/ Should I buy another compact tractor or something entirely different? #42  
I didn't read through all the posts, but the minimum size tractor I'll ever buy again, needs to be large enough to move a round bale with a FEL spear and have enough hydraulic flow to run a post auger (also on FEL). This probably means most tractors starting at 40-45HP and upwards.

I have a Kubota L3800 and while it meets my needs, the L4400 would have met them better with no worry for other tasks.

Stepping into the 40-45hp range is the starting tier for multi-purpose tractors IMO.

/ Should I buy another compact tractor or something entirely different? #43  
The ole 26 -HP Mahindra tractor has served me well for the past 15 or so years but it's time for something different.
Usage is 90% for snow and ice management from November to March. I have 1000' long steep driveway that goes downhill to a busy high speed road on a blind corner. There is a retaining wall on one side of thr driveway. I'd love to just go get a plow for my truck but that doesn't work for this application. I tried and it was a nightmare.

My biggest complaints with this current set up is:
No factory cab (90% of use is snow removal in the winter), under powered tractor and PTO (running a 70" blower), the ignition switch has to be replaced every few years, no rear hydro outputs, no quick detach bucket, low lift capacity, gas tank fill too high up, and I have a hard time getting the tractor to start when it is below 0F outside.
I really like this frame size but I feel like I need to stay above 35 HP. The more HP the better especially for the snowblower.
Me and my wife are really sick of backing up to snowblow!! I don't want to get a tractor and put a snowblower on the front because then I can't use my FEL to scrape and move snow around. I have been looking at cab tractors but the more I think about it we don't really use our tractor as a tractor. So why get another tractor? I considered a skid steer with a hydraulic blower. This would fit the bill well except that they ride rough as heck, the visibility sucks, and it is a pain to climb in and out of. So that is out. Then the other day I discoved the Bobcat Toolcat. OMG this would be perfect for my situation!! Well that is until I found out how much they cost. Holy crap!! $80k?? Are you kidding me!?! I love everything about this "mini-unimogs" but why do they have to cost so much? Then add to that the fact that they rust out within ten years. Is there anything else similar that is less expensive? What about an older Holder? Those seem pretty cool and I see the older ones show up for around $5k-$8k. For that price I could keep my tractor and use it for back up and for filling up the sander on the Holder.
Thoughts?

Thanks
Well I can definitely see you need a larger machine. Cabs are designed for the cold more than the heat in my opinion. Being hot is uncomfortable being cold is brutal. You would utilize the larger one in ways you don’t even see. And why not be the envy of the neighborhood? Wear a scarf to hide the smile! You only live once, get it if you want it

/ Should I buy another compact tractor or something entirely different? #44  
Bill, congrats on the nice Kioti. Hope it serves you well!

/ Should I buy another compact tractor or something entirely different? #46  
I have no inverted blower experience, but I can say a cab makes a world of difference while blowing snow!
Off topic but I'll stick this comment in anyway......a cab makes a world of difference when baling hay too!

/ Should I buy another compact tractor or something entirely different? #47  
Off topic but I'll stick this comment in anyway......a cab makes a world of difference when baling hay too!
Texasmark I’ll bet it does! I’ve never been rich enough to own a hay roller. But being cool takes stress off you. Good point, the original poster only spoke of snow on his driveway in the winter but now he can play in the summertime

/ Should I buy another compact tractor or something entirely different? #48  
Texasmark I’ll bet it does! I’ve never been rich enough to own a hay roller. But being cool takes stress off you. Good point, the original poster only spoke of snow on his driveway in the winter but now he can play in the summertime
Besides the welcomed cool part, it keeps you from having to physically endure all the dust associated with summer baling especially when the wind is blowing from the South at a usual good clip and you are headed North. Sometimes I'll stop, turn the baler either E or W and then start the tying cycle.....I have a string tier and it doesn't get done in 30 seconds like a wrapper.