Should I Cover My New Tractor..???

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #11  
people have stolen tractors off the field from farm hands. if they are intrested enough they will take what they want.

farm hand was working out in the middle of a 200+ acre cotton field... a nice lookin truck with full trailer and a company logo drove up in to the field. they notified the worker that there was a recall on a part and they were here to take it to service the tractor. they loaded the unit up and hauled off a 150 hp? tractor just like that never to be heard from again :/

outa site is exactly the way to go. if they dont try stealing it they might try shooting its tires out which is just as big a pain.

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #13  
New tractor, yeah, I'd definitely cover it.
If your worried about mice and such, keep the hood open.
Chain it to make it harder to get, but if they want it, they'll get it no matter what you do. Keep it out of sight as much as possible. Those tent tarps are pretty good. I got several of them for my rural property.
Is there another property owner nearby you can park it at?

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #14  
I vote old tarp and thumbs down on Shelter Logic and the like for three reasons:

1. Those things are butt ugly, and the countryside doesn't need anymore uglyfication. There is enough of it already erected.

2. They look like there might be something inside worth stealing.

3. You can open them up with a dull butter knife.

My $.02. :)

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #15  
beersngars said:
A little trick I used till the barn was built, and sometimes still do if we are not around a while is replace the main fuse with one I "fixed." It appears to look fine but one leg is missing. The thougt is, they may break in, but it will have to be pushed out. I own a Kubota and the fuses are easily accessed by opening the hood then opening one of two covered fuse holders. Just "fix" the main and keep the good one with you.

I like your idea - so simple but effective. Not many thieves would carry a spare fuse or risk the time to try to work out why it will not work.

I park my L4400 in the bush with a 10mm chain wrapped around some trees and big padlock to slow down would be thieves. It is also out of sight. I use a tarpaulin over it to reduce rain / sun damage. It will be moving into a double garage once I get it completed. But I will still look at replacing the fuse. My only thought is that the main fuse may be a bit obvious as nothing will work. It may be better to replace the fuse to the fuel supply. That way the starter will work and they would have to do a lot more work to figure out why it does not start. I may even get energetic and build an immobiliser like that used in cars.

Cityfarma

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..???
Thanks for all the thoughts and advice, anybody else care to chime in?

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..???
3RRL said:
New tractor, yeah, I'd definitely cover it.
If your worried about mice and such, keep the hood open.
Chain it to make it harder to get, but if they want it, they'll get it no matter what you do. Keep it out of sight as much as possible. Those tent tarps are pretty good. I got several of them for my rural property.
Is there another property owner nearby you can park it at?

A neighbor has a large unused barn, but I've only talked to them twice, the second time he told us we just ripped out his fence! I'd love to keep it there, and maybe pay him a monthly fee, but I was debating whether it's weird to ask such a thing when I don't really know him. :confused:

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #18  
Cover it if possible. Its a lot nicer to park your backside in a clean dry seat. It'll start better too if its been covered. In my area, sun is a killer. Rubber perishes fast, vinyl cracks, paint fades and crazes. Theres a lot of rubber on a tractor - not just tyres.

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #19  
Pushing_ Tin,

I had a similar situation before I built a barn, but had an older tractor at the time. I covered it completely with a tarp. that was a mistake since the tarp went all the way to the ground. It trapped moisture and attracted a lot of mice. It was always damp when I uncovered it, no matter how dry it was outside. That first tarp wore out and I replaced it with a small one that only covered the top half of the tractor and the 4 wheels were left exposed. I hung weights on the corners and used bungie cords too. That worked much better. Very few mice, and it was always dry. If I was covering a new tractor like that, I would lay a towel or cloth on the hood under the tarp, or else it could buff the finish when it moves from the wind.

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #20  
Pushing_Tin said:
A neighbor has a large unused barn, but I've only talked to them twice, the second time he told us we just ripped out his fence! I'd love to keep it there, and maybe pay him a monthly fee, but I was debating whether it's weird to ask such a thing when I don't really know him. :confused:

Well, they will be your neighbors for a long time, so, mend that fence, apologize, do something nice for them, and then ask if you could keep it there?

During your construction there will be nothing like having someone close by to keep an eye on things while you are not there.
I'd spend a little time to get to know them and try your plan of paying a few $$$ to store it there.

Even after you are moved in, having close neighbors, and the cooperation of like minded people is quite valuable. Developing that relationship will pay back BIG , over the years.

Last edited: