Tires Should I put water in the tires?

/ Should I put water in the tires? #21  
JoeL4330 said:
Spyderlk: As I recall, sunken steel ships rust underwater ...could there be oxygen dissolved in the water?
Good point. Yes there is oxygen dissolved in the water. In deep water tho, there is no rust. I think the oxygen, which gets into the water at the surface, cant get to deep depths. Im not sure if its distance from the surface, extreme pressure, or both.
Larry

/ Should I put water in the tires? #22  
Spyder,

I don't think that is correct. The Titanic is about to turn into a rust stain on the ocean floor and it is 10,000 feet down. That's deep, about as deep as it gets. There are only a very few places where there is no oxygen underwater. They are usually in very very still water.

jb

/ Should I put water in the tires? #23  
john_bud said:
Spyder,

I don't think that is correct. The Titanic is about to turn into a rust stain on the ocean floor and it is 10,000 feet down. That's deep, about as deep as it gets. There are only a very few places where there is no oxygen underwater. They are usually in very very still water.

jb
Very little dissolved oxygen that deep. The corrosion of the Titanic is attributable to galvantic action and also to effluent of anaerobic microbes living on the iron surface. This latter relies on relatively stagnant conditions - a characteristic of great ocean depth, but not of a tractor tire.
Larry

/ Should I put water in the tires? #24  
Water self ionizes....

Soundguy

/ Should I put water in the tires? #25  
There is only a limited amount of oxygen in the water in a tire. You don't replace it with new water with fresh oxygen very often.

The inside of your tire should be air tight. Corrosion shouldn't be an issue.

/ Should I put water in the tires? #26  
npaden said:
There is only a limited amount of oxygen in the water in a tire. You don't replace it with new water with fresh oxygen very often.

Maybe it shouldn't be, but it is. :)

I've taken Jeep tires off wheels that have been ran with low air pressure for traction. This allows mud, water, etc., to squeeze between the tire and wheel. If they are steel wheels, they will be rusty if they have been mounted a while.

/ Should I put water in the tires? #27  
I know some folks who have had a Rhino Liner or equivalent lining put inside their rear wheels to boost long term corrosion protection. Ethelene glycol based antifreeze is very toxic (old style auto anti-freeze) while propylene glycol is "food safe" (RV anti-freeze.) I don't recall the RV type having an additive package for corosion protection so you need to get some from your FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) to add to the anti-freeze/water mixture. Calcium chloride solution is heavier and is its own anti-freeze but it too will need anti-corosion aditives added. Calcium chloride is better known as the non-sodium salt substitute. Of course you don't need food grade purity. The guys with the lining in their wheels used calcium chloride and didn't need aditives. I can argue chemical science too but choose not to. Why argue about the number of angels dancing on the head of a pin when we have a microscope and can count them? I have personally seen several rear wheels corroded from water fill (with various additives.) Tractors have collapsed when a rear wheel corroded too much and then was stressed. This isn't conjecture or probablilties, it is history, known fact. If somehow you are an exceptional case and your wheels will be prevented from coroding by your faith or ignorance then by all means do whatever you want. Here is a helpful hint for you: Sulphuric acid is way heavier than water and would make an excellent candidate fill for tires. Pat

/ Should I put water in the tires? #28  
npaden said:

Im making this up but I think its close to right:
1) Large volumes of O2 are not used in rusting,
2) Air has about 22% O2/78%N2
3) The water put into the tire has O2 dissolved unless u simmer it awhile first,
4) Both sources of O2 are available to oxidize the rim,
5) The tire goes down a little as O2 is captured by iron,
6) U add more air.

I believe a tire filled with water that has been simmered for awhile, combined with using N2 to first purge, then pressurize the tire, would result in virtually no O2 available for rust. I dont believe H2O dissociates naturally, or wed see explosive atmosphere develop over contained water.
Larry

/ Should I put water in the tires? #29  
About the "LIMITED" air supply in a tire: Don't tires need to be topped off every so often because they slowly leak air through the walls of the tire? I never had a set of tires wear out over a period of years and never require topping off several times. I usually inflate with air (containing O2.) I guess you could partially deflate your water filled tires with the stems at the 1200 position and reinflate with nitrogen or other inert gas to avoid oxidation (repeating several times because of exponential mixing of the N2 with the O2 tainted air. There is disolved O2 in the water so you'll need to repeat this at intervals until chemical analysis of the efluent shows appropriately low O2 concentrations. Pat

/ Should I put water in the tires? #30  
SPYDERLK said:
Very little dissolved oxygen that deep. The corrosion of the Titanic is attributable to galvantic action and also to effluent of anaerobic microbes living on the iron surface. This latter relies on relatively stagnant conditions - a characteristic of great ocean depth, but not of a tractor tire.
Larry

Yes, but the difference between "very little" and "no" is a large difference. There are a lot of critters living on the bottom of the ocean - they need oxygen. Sure, it's not a much as at a coral reef in the Bahama's, but there is actually a LOT of oxygen down there. As far as stagnant conditions, I thought (don't know for sure) that there is a strong current around the Titanic.

(Ancient chemistry lesson bubbles to the surface) The galvanic action is enhanced by the conductivity of the salt water and helps drive the reaction faster, but the oxidation (rust) is due to the presence of oxygen. 4Fe +3 O2 -> (2Fe2O3).

But then again, what does that have to due with plowing a field?

Have a great day!
jb

Oh yeah, water does go to H+ and OH- by it self. BUT it does NOT go to H2 and O2. You were right on the button there!