Shred or Spray

/ Shred or Spray #1  

Aggie66

Tractor
MX 5400
We purchased a property 2 years ago that has 50 acres of wooded and creek area and 30 acres of areas that can be developed into a pasture. We are currently doing wildlife management, but I’m trying to decide on whether it’s worthwhile to develop some or all of the 30 acres into pasture. Preiously it was always used for grazing only and wasn’t hayed. With the spring rains that we’ve had one area of the pasture is pretty well grown up. It is various weeds and grasses that I’m gonna have to decide the best herbicide to use but what I would appreciate feedback on is should I go ahead and shred it first it’s pretty well 24 to 36 inches in some places high or should I just spray it. I just don’t have experience in trying to develop a grazed pasture into a hay pasture. I realize I should have done something back in April but that’s hindsight. I’d be receptive to anyone’s schedule on how they manage their pastures from Spring Green up to haying or how you do just weed management. Thanks

/ Shred or Spray #2  
There is no "one size fits all" way of establishing pasture or hay where desirable grass is already mixed with undesirable plants. If the land has net fence,alowing someone to run goats on it is a good start. Goats eat weeds and brush but very little grass. First question is whether there's any desirable grass amongest the hih weeds. Secound question is whether someone will bale it and take hay as payment. Contrary to what many believe,hay doesn't have to be weed free before someone will buy it. Too many unanswered questions to allow BEST answers to your questions.🤔

/ Shred or Spray #3  
I use 2-4-D (B) for broadleaf weed control in my hayfields. It's not cheap but it works well.

/ Shred or Spray #4  
Is what you are calling hay or pasture just grass or is there some alfalfa mixed in? If alfalfa you will need different weed control than grass.

/ Shred or Spray #5  
Actually, alfalfa is very tolerant to 2-4-D (B). it isn't to 2-4-D but the Buterac modifier makes it that way. Only one company that makes it too, I believe they have a patent on it and like I said, it's not cheap. Last jug I bought (2.5 gallons) was just north of 100 bucks, but the dilution ratio is 50-1 so it goes a long way and it don't take a lot either.

Has all the attributes of regular unbuffered 2-4-D but without the killing of alfalfa. It will slow the growth of fresh cut alfalfa for a short period however.

What he needs to do is call his local county extension agent for further information and keep in mind that in some areas, 2-4-D (B) requires a state applicators license. I spray it on growing alfalfa that is developing broadleaf.

/ Shred or Spray #6  
I use 2-4-D (B) for broadleaf weed control in my hayfields. It's not cheap but it works well.
I've used 2-4-d but not on stuff already 3 feet tall. I'm sure it will kill some things but then you have a bunch of dead junk shading ground that has to be mowed. Why not mow,see what you have then spray if need be. Like you said,it's expensive,why waste half of it wetting more foliage than required?

/ Shred or Spray #7  
If you cut it too short your spray will not be affective and may not even work. Herbicides need some leaf surface in order for the plant to take in the chemical via the leaves. I would just spray it. You will have to use more chemical since you let it get that tall.

If you cut it down don't cut it to the ground. Leave some leaves to take in the chemical.

You could also cut it down and when it starts to re-establish and leaf out, spray it at maybe 12" tall.

/ Shred or Spray
Is what you are calling hay or pasture just grass or is there some alfalfa mixed in? If alfalfa you will need different weed control than grass.
It’s Bahia and coastal but has weed growth of croton black eyed Susan horse mint various grasses

/ Shred or Spray #9  
It’s Bahia and coastal but has weed growth of croton black eyed Susan horse mint various grasses
If you have a good component of grasses and the weeds are annual, repeated mowing will convert the area back to grasses. Perennial weeds are a different story.