Shred or Spray

/ Shred or Spray #11  
Exactly. All herbicides are absorbed via the leaves. Don't matter what the invasive species is.
True, but if the weeds are annual, herbicides are unnecessary. The key is preventing them from going to seed. Most perennial weeds may require herbicides to remove them. It’s important to know what species you are working with.

/ Shred or Spray #12  
Why I suggested contacting the local extension agent. Posting on here will net the OP little The local extension agent (who is familiar with the local invasive species) will not only identify them but suggest the correct course of action as well as chemicals.

/ Shred or Spray #13  
Why I suggested contacting the local extension agent. Posting on here will net the OP little The local extension agent (who is familiar with the local invasive species) will not only identify them but suggest the correct course of action as well as chemicals.
Great advice.

/ Shred or Spray
Thank you all for your input. All comments welcomed and appreciated. Thanks again

/ Shred or Spray #15  
I’ve had paddocks like that , I cut them real short then in a couple of weeks when everything starts growing again I’ll spray grazeon ( or herbicide of your choice)

/ Shred or Spray
I’m shredding the past two days. Probably 2 more to go. Then spray on green up. Is Grazon preferable to glyphosate. I plan on using RM 43.

/ Shred or Spray #17  
RM43 is total vegetation killer isn’t it? Pretty sure that’s what I use on fence lines. GrazonNext will just kill broadleaf weeds. It’s newer version is called DuraCor ( DuraCon?? ) Works well but there are restrictions on hay and manure movement off farm as the active ingredient keeps working for 18 months passing through animals. Great for keeping weeds down in your pasture but a disaster if someone uses hay or manure on their vegetable patch or prize roses!!

/ Shred or Spray #18  
There is no "one size fits all" way of establishing pasture or hay where desirable grass is already mixed with undesirable plants. If the land has net fence,alowing someone to run goats on it is a good start. Goats eat weeds and brush but very little grass. First question is whether there's any desirable grass amongest the hih weeds. Secound question is whether someone will bale it and take hay as payment. Contrary to what many believe,hay doesn't have to be weed free before someone will buy it. Too many unanswered questions to allow BEST answers to your questions.🤔

Goats will eat most weeds and brush (they also do eat grass once the weeds and brush are gone, it's clover they won't really touch) but fences need to be very good to keep them in. They also don't eat a whole lot (3-5 pounds per head per day depending on size and such), it would take a lot of goats to clear off 30 acres. A "net fence" that would hold in goats would be a fence with the 4' tall 2"x4" or 4" 10/12 gauge woven wire, or the 4 gauge welded panels of the same hole size, topped with a strand of barb. That is not a cheap or particularly easy to install fence. They will break the 14 gauge wire, they will get their heads stuck in any fence with 6" holes (such as the field fence that costs less than half of what the 4" sheep-and-goat wire does), and they will get through barbed wire fences. Electric poly net may keep them in but I have seen too many livestock get out when an electric fence fails to trust an electric fence for anything besides internal fencing.

/ Shred or Spray #19  
I sprayed Duracor on hay and pasture ground for the first time this spring. $100 2.5 gallon jug covered 10 acres. It worked very well - cleaned up my hay - and has a residual value. I much prefer it to 2-4-D.

/ Shred or Spray #20  
Also, in regards to county extension agents, I agree about meeting and speaking to them. The main thing to keep in mind, at least in my area in TN, is that our county agents won’t recommend spraying. They can identify weeds all day long but not recommend what herbicide to spray due to regulations.