Shredder Vacs... Good, Bad or Ugly???

/ Shredder Vacs... Good, Bad or Ugly??? #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Anyone have a shredder Vac and car to comment?

I know Stihl and Echo offer gas powered and others have plug in electric.

No battery offerings that I know.

It would seem a shredder vac would speed up my maintenance chores... especially in the fall.

Would like to hear the good and bad if you have or use.

/ Shredder Vacs... Good, Bad or Ugly??? #2  
I have this one (rather, an older model).

Positives: multi function. Blower, bagger, shredder/mulcher.
Variable speed - big range and real difference on a dial
High speed - max is very strong
Metal impeller - longer life and shreds well

Negatives: corded - limited usefulness if far from outlet
Plastic outer- could crack or break if treated harshly or used in extreme cold
Bag is not dog proof - ask me how I know

Overall a good tool. It does what it was designed to do. When we lived up north, I used it on light, dry snow, too. You know the kind that will turn into ice if left alone or driven on, but too little for snow blower and a PITA to shovel?

/ Shredder Vacs... Good, Bad or Ugly??? #3  
I have one of these, pretty handy for spots that big backpack blowers are awkward.

/ Shredder Vacs... Good, Bad or Ugly??? #4  
Have an older echo and find the vac useful for cleaning up tight spaces between shrubs, around foundations flower beds etc. can plug up occasionally if leaves are wet or twigs or branches get jammed. Also small size on the blower make it handy for small jobs. Not as powerful as the backpack.

I have gutter cleaning attachment that lets me clean gutters from the ground that I think is great

/ Shredder Vacs... Good, Bad or Ugly???
I’m leaning towards ECHO knowing buying gas equipment days are sunsetting soon in my State…

I’m inundated with oak leaves from protected oak trees… blow the front walk daily when leaves drop.

Trees are nice to look at but quickly blanket the flower beds and the plants don’t like the wind from a blower…

I tried a corded a neighbor uses but would need a very long cord!

/ Shredder Vacs... Good, Bad or Ugly??? #6  
Invest in gas powered equipment to resell later at a premium when everybody wants it but can't get it?

Might work on the shredder vac

Not the case on blowers, trimmers and Honda powered mowers…

I have been given several of the above when my city started banning equipment…

One echo straight shaft still had box and instructions and put out for bulky collection… just to be sure I asked and the owner said it’s illegal to use so decided to get rid of it…

/ Shredder Vacs... Good, Bad or Ugly??? #8  
So it is not just a ban on sale, but a ban on use of gas powered equipment?

/ Shredder Vacs... Good, Bad or Ugly??? #9  
And there's enough of 'those' neighbors out there who see it as their civic duty to turn you in.

So it is not just a ban on sale, but a ban on use of gas powered equipment?
Currently using/operating gasoline blowers and trimmer brush cutters banned in my city and several neighboring cities.

The powers that be are looking to expand but the blower and trimmer ban is law.

The flip side is mower shops have little in the way to offer as manufacturers can’t sell non California compliant in the state so the screws are being tightened on both sides… even affects generators.

It’s happening incrementally but happening.

Last edited: