Shuttle Shifter issues

/ Shuttle Shifter issues #11  
Also what fluid is being used in the transmission/torque converter, I believe those are separate from the hydraulic system and actually used a different fluid.
From an old thread;
Ford 555 fluid questions

/ Shuttle Shifter issues
I was thinking the same as TractorTech. Since it seems to be heat related would point to a possible problem with the pump.
So the backhoe stopped going in reverse after 14 min of run time. Still continued to go forward. We lifted back wheels off ground and it still would not go into reverse. It acted like it wanted to but didn’t. Will let it cool off and it would work again for 15 min then stopped again and only reverse. Forward continues to work.

/ Shuttle Shifter issues #13  
So the backhoe stopped going in reverse after 14 min of run time. Still continued to go forward. We lifted back wheels off ground and it still would not go into reverse. It acted like it wanted to but didn’t. Will let it cool off and it would work again for 15 min then stopped again and only reverse. Forward continues to work.

Strange. Could be the F/R shifter, but again acts like heat related.
As LouNY asked, what kind of oil and what condition is it in?
Could be the reverse solenoid or valve giving you fits.

/ Shuttle Shifter issues #14  
I agree, maybe solenoid coil. Check for voltage at the coil wires when it's not wanting to move and see if it's trying to activate the solenoid or not.

/ Shuttle Shifter issues
I agree, maybe solenoid coil. Check for voltage at the coil wires when it's not wanting to move and see if it's trying to activate the solenoid or not.
I will have son check this.

/ Shuttle Shifter issues #17  
When did you change the transmission filter last. Also, there is an inlet screen on this transmission that is supposed to be cleaned, but hardly anyone does. I'm thinking that it might be a flow issue. It would affect both directions though

/ Shuttle Shifter issues
I do not know what hydraulic fluid he uses but I do know it’s all the same one that he is putting in all areas, there are 2 places he adds hydraulic fluid. 1 area is in the front of the backhoe and 1 area is at your feet by the brakes/gas pedal. This is what my father told him to use. If there are 2 different kinds of fluid then that’s an issue. The backhoe is in pretty good shape.

/ Shuttle Shifter issues
When did you change the transmission filter last. Also, there is an inlet screen on this transmission that is supposed to be cleaned, but hardly anyone does. I'm thinking that it might be a flow issue. It would affect both directions though
We changed 2 filters last fall. If there is more then that we missed it. I don’t know about the inlet screen.

/ Shuttle Shifter issues #20  
I do not know what hydraulic fluid he uses but I do know it’s all the same one that he is putting in all areas, there are 2 places he adds hydraulic fluid. 1 area is in the front of the backhoe and 1 area is at your feet by the brakes/gas pedal. This is what my father told him to use. If there are 2 different kinds of fluid then that’s an issue. The backhoe is in pretty good shape.

There should be 3 places. The one up in the front of the machine is the hydraulic fluid reservoir. There should be two separate fill points in the floor pan by the operator's seat. The front one is for the transmission, the one further back is for the rear axle. All use the same oil, MC134D. The intake screen should be checked as TractorTech advised too, that should be under a cover with two bolts that's accessible underneath the machine on the right side IIRC.