Sidewall Damage - Chunk Still Attached

/ Sidewall Damage - Chunk Still Attached #1  

anonmous

Tractor
John Deere 5075E
Hi,
Prior to joining and posting, I did a bunch of searches on what my question is regarding, but I couldn't find any that seemed to match sufficiently, so I apologize up front if there are glaringly obvious posts that I missed! I live in a pretty rocky area and after clearing an area for planting, I noticed that I had some damage to one of my front tires as can be seen in the following:

1697742174676.png

I have not noticed any leaks whatsoever over the past few weeks, and was wondering if I should simply just try to apply some sort of adhesive and push that piece back in so it's flush. If so, is there a recommended adhesive? The tire is a Galaxy Agri Trac II "r-1" a6 9.5-24. I did come across threads that recommended various vulcanizing agents, but I couldn't find information as to whether these work with all tires or only certain types. I also came across GlueTread, but I don't know if I can just use their adhesive without the patch. I was hoping to avoid the patch because in my mind the patch will just be sticking out enough to make it so that it'll more likely be caught and/or pulled off as opposed to just getting that piece sealed and flush again.

Thank you,

Matt

/ Sidewall Damage - Chunk Still Attached #2  
I doubt any "repair" is going to make the tire any more reliable. I would either replace the tire, or (more likely) cut the chunk off and run it as is.
All that said.... The damage is awfully close to the bead.

/ Sidewall Damage - Chunk Still Attached #3  
I agree with RjCorazza any repair won't restore it's structural integrity if compromised, only its appearance, that being said it doesn't look like the inner liner has been damage or if so very little... now it might be a hazard for blow out if it has been damaged which can be dangerous but I would say very unlikely due to extent of the appear damaged. Perhaps consult a expert on the matter if it need to be change but definitely keep a eye on it if you don't change it. I probably wouldn't change it.

/ Sidewall Damage - Chunk Still Attached #4  
Same, I might cut the chunk off if it looks like it might pull open more. Otherwise I'd run it like normal. It's not like a car where you have to worry about running off the road at 70 due to a blow out.

/ Sidewall Damage - Chunk Still Attached #5  
I dont think an adhesive would Hurt, but it won't do any good either. I would either glue it back in place or cut it off, and just run it.

/ Sidewall Damage - Chunk Still Attached #6  
My preference would be to glue the piece back in and then place small boot patch over the outside.
Or go with the gluetread I have been looking at some of there kits and considering getting one to have on hand.
1697749811497.png

Either way will help to protect the gouged area and keep dirt and debri from getting into it and causing more damage.

/ Sidewall Damage - Chunk Still Attached #7  
My preference would be to glue the piece back in and then place small boot patch over the outside.
Or go with the gluetread I have been looking at some of there kits and considering getting one to have on hand.
View attachment 827710

Either way will help to protect the gouged area and keep dirt and debri from getting into it and causing more damage.

Yep. Gluing the chunk back on will help. If you cut it off, the sun will work its damage on the new “thinner” sidewall area and weaken it even more.

/ Sidewall Damage - Chunk Still Attached
Thank you everyone for your very helpful and informative replies. I think what I'm going to try first is simply using an adhesive to bond the piece back into place and then watch to see what it does. If it comes off for any reason, I'll patch it using GlueTread.

Matt

/ Sidewall Damage - Chunk Still Attached #10  
If it was my tire I would just pay hundreds to have a new tire mounted because that tire may blow out and... actually, I would just glue that piece in place. If it looked like it may want to peel away I would get a leather needle and some heavy nylon thread and proceed to sew the perimeter of the chunk to the tire. I would probably use tire cement to lubricate the needle and thread. I would not worry about the tire at all. No threads were exposed so the strength of the tire was not compromised and gluing the chunk back in place will protect the tire innards. Glue that chunk back in place and run that tire until it is worn out.
Eric