Silt Happens!

/ Silt Happens! #11  
Wow! That is a lot of work.

You all in Texas sure have a strange definition of "pond".

When it was full, with silt and water, how big was it? I mean, if your moving all that muck, the pond surface area should be a lot smaller right?

You have an interesting chore ahead of you.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Silt Happens! #12  
I thought the best way to find out would be to dig a sloping trench down into the muck and keep my tires at a level of the solid native dirt.

Looks like you made some pretty good progress with this approach Jim. If you didn't want to hire an excavator, how would it work to start at one end of the pond with your sloping trench procedure, gradually enlarging your cleared area. With a little drainage work you could put a pump in there to keep it fairly dry through the winter. Someone on the forums posted a thread in the last year or so where they dug or cleaned up a pond, maybe HaveBlue? If you decide to do it with the NH you'll have seat time for a while!

/ Silt Happens! #13  
Thanks for the posts Jinman!

I'd say if the rain in Sunset stays at a minimum, keep on plugging at it.

Jinman on his own tractor = $5.00/hour fuel

Dozer or Excavator with operator = $60-75 hour

/ Silt Happens! #14  
Jim,

As always, the pics are amazing. Your inspector friend is something I have all over my place, but have yet to see one alive. Road kill is their most common way to show themselves.

I'm digging a pond out myself, and understand your situation pretty well. How to beat the clock and take advantage of the drought. I'd keep at it like Kyle said and see how far you get.

I'm sure you've realized the hardest part isn't the digging, but disposing of the spoils. Hauling it out of the way. If your in a hurry, than it's a temporary pile until you can spread it out or use it for fill. It's a very long, drawn out process.

A dozer might not be very effective on that silt. He'd have to work his way around the edges moving the material out. Then what to do with it?

An excavator is perfect for you, but you'll also need a dump truck. It would take them a couple days to do the job, but I'd figure it would cost you a couple grand in the process. Of course, you wouldn't have to worry about it again in your lifetime.

You could always buy Kathy her own tractor and you can work on it together. Isn't that what marriage is all about? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eddie

/ Silt Happens! #15  
2 days with the dozer, the lord only knows with the tractor! Whats your time worth?

Nice work Jinman and good luck!

/ Silt Happens! #16  
Gee Jim,
Ill be willin to bet you didnt leave that tractor in that pocket you dug out overnite /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Especially with the threat of showers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Nice job, Im thinkin your an expert by now behind those controls /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

scotty

/ Silt Happens!
Mike: The pond is about 3/4 acre surface area when it is full. It's slightly oblong, about 200' x 150'. The water normally comes about one foot above the grass line you can see in the first picture. The water depth on top of the silt is only about 6'. I'd sure love to get the silt out and have it about 12'-14' deep in the middle.

Glenn: I intended to dig my trench about 12' wide all the way across one end of the pond so I could make a pass across, scraping from the side in a straight line, and continue to my spoils pile. To dig the trench, I had to drive in/down, load up, and back up the embankment with a full load. Even the slightest amount of sludge in my path and I was slipping while trying to back up. I ended up putting some crushed rock down and it helped tremendously. I also finally loaded my rear tires. Without that, there was no way I could haul a full bucket of wet clay sludge. With the tires loaded and just a minimum amount of crushed rock, it made all the difference in the world...like getting a whole new/bigger tractor.

Kyle: As you can see, you really need to know what you are getting into before making plans to dig out silt. I already have much more time into this project than I should have (a total of about 40 hours). At this point, I'd have to spend a steady two weeks to get the rest of the silt, and I just don't have the time. My tractor is paid for, but my time is my most precious commodity as Greg mentioned.

Greg: I'm in complete agreement with you. I've already used more time than I should. It's time to turn this over to a professional.

Eddie: I see two or three armadillos every day around my pond. They actually come there to eat ripe wild persimmons. I have several trees and they were loaded with fruit this year. Normally the 'dillos are so involved in eating that I can walk right up to them.

I think a dozer can clean out the pond pretty easy if he uses my 12' trench. That way he can do a straight push and cut the side of the trench rather than cut from below grade. I'll just let him push the spoils to one side of my little valley on the opposite side to where the water drains down from the uphill gullies. I'm going to call him and let him have a look at the job. Kathy can supervise while I'm at work. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I suspect this will take only one day with a D6 sized dozer because the spoil pile will be so close and in a straight line.

Scotty: I'm pretty good at the controls now and also at judging what I can and cannot do. The more I work at this the more I learn to plan every move. As Eddie mentioned, you have to plan for a very big spoils pile and be ready to adjust those plans when things change. I expected in the beginning for the silt to be only 3' deep. To find out it is over 6' deep is a big surprise. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Silt Happens! #18  
"Jinman on his own tractor = $5.00/hour fuel

Dozer or Excavator with operator = $60-75 hour "

Jinman takes 300 hours and the excavator spends 20.

/ Silt Happens! #19  
Jim - fun is fun and seat time is seat time. But I think that one is beyond a reasonable do it yourself limit. I like you inspector also. We have deer hunted the same place in the hill country since '69. Armadillas used to be all over the place. We hunt in open natural blinds and it was not unusual to have one try to come in with you. But I have not seen one in the last several years there. Most all have apparently died off down there. But now we have them around our house where we never saw one years ago. Go figure.

/ Silt Happens! #20  
<font color="blue"> Road kill is their most common way to show themselves. </font>

During one of my many visits to the Terlingua Chili Cookoff, I advised a young lad that his armadillo pin on his hat was upside down.

He politely informed me that is was not, that was the only way he'd ever seen 'em.