Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions)

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #11  
I have never put any kind of additive in my diesel and never had any fuel related problems other than a little dirt in the fuel filter after 450 hours. Both my tractors are late model (2009 and 2010) but I also ran a 1984 Yanmar with same fuel and no problems with it either.
Other than anti-gel for super cold weather (I don't need it here) , I see no need for additives for tractor engines as long as you keep your fuel clean. Biocide agent might have to be put in if you get some water. My tank is inside my enclosed storage shed and so far since 2009 I have not a bit of water in it.

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions)
This is where its so confusing for me... some swear by using additives, some swear they never use additives and never will. I`m starting to think that most diesel problems are caused by their owners, using cheap & dirty fuel. But who the heck knows what they put in the fuel anymore... i mean, who do you trust. I`ve called a few places to get advice, and nobody agree`s with anybody else`s statements. This dealer says yes, the next dealer you call says no. I`m wondering too, if people running cheap filters weigh`s in on some problems as well. I think i might pull the trigger on a see thru filter with an on/off valve where i can drop the canister off and dump out the sediments. Seen them on other forums where people have added them onto their tractors so they dont have to crawl up under the rear fender to get that tiny pesky one out. Seems practical enough for someone like me to be able to install on my own. We have sunoco diesel fuel in my area at the local gas stations... do you folks think this is good enough to run year round in the 2017 Kabota BX23S sub-compact tractors...?

Thank you guys...
i hope ALOT more people contribute to this thread, i`m sure there are other new owners that would like to know these answers too.

I have never put any kind of additive in my diesel and never had any fuel related problems other than a little dirt in the fuel filter after 450 hours. Both my tractors are late model (2009 and 2010) but I also ran a 1984 Yanmar with same fuel and no problems with it either.
Other than anti-gel for super cold weather (I don't need it here) , I see no need for additives for tractor engines as long as you keep your fuel clean. Biocide agent might have to be put in if you get some water. My tank is inside my enclosed storage shed and so far since 2009 I have not a bit of water in it.

Mine all sit outside year round... i dont have a garage to store them in.
So my guess is, i`m headed for trouble leaving this new BX23s diesel outside.

I have an old john deere thats lived outside for 30+yrs,
only thing i`ve ever replaced just once, was the ignition switch.

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #14  
In case I was not plain enough in my previous entry:
I do NOT recommend additives!
I do use them in my tractor, in the winter...ONLY. That is because, as I have stated in other threads, that Kubota uses a crummy fuel filter and the slightest bit of moisture, or gel, will clog the filter, and I just hate having snow in my face while i am trying to change the filter! Unless it has been modified, you have the same filters that I do.
I use no additives in the Dodge, and it has never had a problem starting, but it has a much bigger fuel filter.
I will NOT use the Kubota fuel filters! I think they are a little too easy to plug in the winter, so I use the NAPA/Wix filters for fuel.

Just to be clear.

George

In case I was not plain enough in my previous entry:
I do NOT recommend additives!
I do use them in my tractor, in the winter...ONLY. That is because, as I have stated in other threads, that Kubota uses a crummy fuel filter and the slightest bit of moisture, or gel, will clog the filter, and I just hate having snow in my face while i am trying to change the filter! Unless it has been modified, you have the same filters that I do.
I use no additives in the Dodge, and it has never had a problem starting, but it has a much bigger fuel filter.
I will NOT use the Kubota fuel filters! I think they are a little too easy to plug in the winter, so I use the NAPA/Wix filters for fuel.

Just to be clear.

George

Absolutely understood George... i totally understood what your point was... thank you

I like WIX & NAPA filters as well, i`ve used them for years.

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #16  
Pete, thank you for commenting...
does your brother buy different fuel or maybe buys his fuel at a different place than you do..?
Not that i don`t believe you, its just hard to believe there is such a difference between yours and his.

I`ve read some comments on the PS white actually dries out the fuel,
some people seem concerned that this can harm the pump (???)
Others say the stanadyne is the only stuff to buy/use.

Reason for all my questions, i`ve not owned a diesel in 20+ years,
and i know things have change over the years within diesel engines.
Fuel has also changed thru the years... wanna be sure i`m doing the right thing.

Different fuel from a different state. But that's not it. Many diesel owners have black soot around the exhaust and smoke under load. Mine doesn't, has close to 1000 hours, worked hard and easy, cold winters, etc. Always starts easily, doesn't shake much when started in the cold winter, always garaged. Rarely a puff of black unless restarting after heavy work, then only a puff. I attribute this to the fuel treatment, all others things being equal. My $.02

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #17  
It's hard to mix proper amount of additive in 5 gallon cans.

I use power service the proper amount in a 330 gallon tank straight #2 fuel. Out side tank is also for shop heat. -30 and never an issue.

It's easy to over dose your fuel. Use the right amount.

regards, Fred

I use power service the proper amount in a 330 gallon tank straight #2 fuel. Out side tank is also for shop heat. -30 and never an issue.

It's easy to over dose your fuel. Use the right amount.

regards, Fred

Well, i dont have a 330 gallon storage tank...lol, and i know you can overdose,
but, to what extent can it hurt the engine if a slight amount to much was added.

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #19  
Well, i dont have a 330 gallon storage tank...lol, and i know you can overdose,
but, to what extent can it hurt the engine if a slight amount to much was added.

I have been an occcasional user of the silver diesel kleen product in my 2006 Dodge. At about 90k miles, i started getting a atrange sound under acceleration at certain rpms/load conditions. A mechanic told me it was an injector problem either with the common rail "event timing" (he said there are several injector "events" on each fueling cycle) or plugged in jector nozzles. Anyway, I ran a couple tanks of fuel with the DieselKleen product at double the recomended ratio (the bottle says you can do this for a poor performing injector system). This has fixed the problem, the sound it was making has gone away, and acceleration is smooth as when new.

I also get slightly better fuel mileage, which almost pays for the additive. I buy the big bottles at walmart which is enough to treat 800 gallons for 16$. I also now religiously run this in an 35kva Magnum generator with an Isuzu 4 cyl diesel, my dodge pickup, and my bx23s which has 14 hours on it now. There is another thread here on this topic where a guy who claims to rebuild injector pumps for a living says the stanadyne or diesel kleen additives are a very good idea as they markedly improve injector pump life. The reason given is that the ULSD fuel we are forced to use now does not provide the same lubricity as the fuel of yesteryear with higher sulphur content...

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #20  
Not hard at all. 1.6 oz to 5 gallons of diesel fuel. Using their 32 oz to 100 gal ratio or their max 32 oz to 50 gal ratio, then it would be 3.2 oz per 5 gallons of fuel.

I used 2.0 oz per 5 gallons for many, many years in my tractors, XUV, and GT. Don't know if I need to, but it hasn't hurt. White bottle in Winter, grey or silver in the warmer seasons, cheap insurance. Works for me. :)