Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions)

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #21  
I use Howse diesel additive. I have a 'shot' glass that has ounce markings on it. 1 oz for every 5 gallons of fuel. So when i go to get them filled i put 1 oz of Howse in it. My CK27 has a 7 gallon tank, so when it gets just below 1/4 i fill using the entire 5 gallons. Simple system i use to avoid over dosing !

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions)
Not hard at all. 1.6 oz to 5 gallons of diesel fuel. Using their 32 oz to 100 gal ratio or their max 32 oz to 50 gal ratio, then it would be 3.2 oz per 5 gallons of fuel.

I used 2.0 oz per 5 gallons for many, many years in my tractors, XUV, and GT. Don't know if I need to, but it hasn't hurt. White bottle in Winter, grey or silver in the warmer seasons, cheap insurance. Works for me. :)

Thank you Oldoak, i`m going to give that a try...!!!

I use Howse diesel additive. I have a 'shot' glass that has ounce markings on it. 1 oz for every 5 gallons of fuel. So when i go to get them filled i put 1 oz of Howse in it. My CK27 has a 7 gallon tank, so when it gets just below 1/4 i fill using the entire 5 gallons. Simple system i use to avoid over dosing !

I use to use that Howes years ago, never had an issue with it that i remember.

I have been an occcasional user of the silver diesel kleen product in my 2006 Dodge. At about 90k miles, i started getting a atrange sound under acceleration at certain rpms/load conditions. A mechanic told me it was an injector problem either with the common rail "event timing" (he said there are several injector "events" on each fueling cycle) or plugged in jector nozzles. Anyway, I ran a couple tanks of fuel with the DieselKleen product at double the recomended ratio (the bottle says you can do this for a poor performing injector system). This has fixed the problem, the sound it was making has gone away, and acceleration is smooth as when new.

I also get slightly better fuel mileage, which almost pays for the additive. I buy the big bottles at walmart which is enough to treat 800 gallons for 16$. I also now religiously run this in an 35kva Magnum generator with an Isuzu 4 cyl diesel, my dodge pickup, and my bx23s which has 14 hours on it now. There is another thread here on this topic where a guy who claims to rebuild injector pumps for a living says the stanadyne or diesel kleen additives are a very good idea as they markedly improve injector pump life. The reason given is that the ULSD fuel we are forced to use now does not provide the same lubricity as the fuel of yesteryear with higher sulphur content...

Well i believe i`m going to try it (PS DIESEL KLEEN - GRAY) I picked up a 32oz can of it up already.
I suppose i`ll grab the white 32oz bottle in the fall and then i`ll be all ready for winter ahead of time.

I`m wondering what it would hurt if the 2 additives were mixed together if i were to have extra left over summer fuel.
I dont know anybody in my local area that i could empty the summer fuel out so that i could re-fill the 5gal can with winter mix.

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #25  
I think the important thing is to note that today's diesel (US) is NOT the same as diesel from even 10 years ago. I believe most offroad diesel is now or will soon be ultra low Sulfer, just like on-road diesel has been since ~2006. My understanding is that sulfer was a major contributor to the lubricity of diesel, similar to lead in gasoline. When you remove most of it, the diesel does not lubricate the pump like it used to.

Newer tractors should have pumps that will last OK with ULSD, but older ones do not, and there will be increased pump wear because of the "dry" diesel we now have. IMO, some sort of lubricity enhancer is not a bad thing for older tractors. There have been studies done as to which additives produce the best results, and you can find them and read them, but the interesting thing that I came away with was that no additive improved the lubricity as much as even just 2% biodiesel.

The biodiesel I am talking about is NOT waste veg oil, or some hillbilly junk your buddy runs in his old Cummins or Mercedes. I am talking about B2 or B5 that you can get from many reputable stations. Unfortunately for me, I haven't found any around here, so I use the white and silver PS in my truck and my tractor most of the time. It's not the best product, but I've never had any gelling problems, and the truck has 240k miles and still runs great.

I have used 911 twice when I had a gelling issue after a night of -15F temps on a tank of mostly #2. It worked almost instantly to clear up the fuel and get the trucks running. It is a lot of alcohol I think, not good for your system, so emergency use only. The white bottle does have some alcohol too, which will combine with any water and run it through your injectors. This is also not good, but perhaps a necessary evil in the winter in some places. The silver just adds lubricity, so should not have any alcohol. If you use diesel #1 in the winter, it shouldn't gel till it's below zero.

I highly doubt the additives do much for soot, or how an engine runs. There's just not enough to them. (They don't even do much for lubricity, compared to bio...) Quality of fuel, tuning, amount of work done, idle time, etc are far bigger contributors. FWIW, biodiesel also has a more "detergent" effect, so if you run a lot of it in an old fuel system that's never had it, it'll flush a lot of gunk into the filter. It's not the bio that's clogging the filter, it's the junk left from years of dirty fuel...

Good luck.

I think the important thing is to note that today's diesel (US) is NOT the same as diesel from even 10 years ago. I believe most offroad diesel is now or will soon be ultra low Sulfer, just like on-road diesel has been since ~2006. My understanding is that sulfer was a major contributor to the lubricity of diesel, similar to lead in gasoline. When you remove most of it, the diesel does not lubricate the pump like it used to.

Newer tractors should have pumps that will last OK with ULSD, but older ones do not, and there will be increased pump wear because of the "dry" diesel we now have. IMO, some sort of lubricity enhancer is not a bad thing for older tractors. There have been studies done as to which additives produce the best results, and you can find them and read them, but the interesting thing that I came away with was that no additive improved the lubricity as much as even just 2% biodiesel.

The biodiesel I am talking about is NOT waste veg oil, or some hillbilly junk your buddy runs in his old Cummins or Mercedes. I am talking about B2 or B5 that you can get from many reputable stations. Unfortunately for me, I haven't found any around here, so I use the white and silver PS in my truck and my tractor most of the time. It's not the best product, but I've never had any gelling problems, and the truck has 240k miles and still runs great.

I have used 911 twice when I had a gelling issue after a night of -15F temps on a tank of mostly #2. It worked almost instantly to clear up the fuel and get the trucks running. It is a lot of alcohol I think, not good for your system, so emergency use only. The white bottle does have some alcohol too, which will combine with any water and run it through your injectors. This is also not good, but perhaps a necessary evil in the winter in some places. The silver just adds lubricity, so should not have any alcohol. If you use diesel #1 in the winter, it shouldn't gel till it's below zero.

I highly doubt the additives do much for soot, or how an engine runs. There's just not enough to them. (They don't even do much for lubricity, compared to bio...) Quality of fuel, tuning, amount of work done, idle time, etc are far bigger contributors. FWIW, biodiesel also has a more "detergent" effect, so if you run a lot of it in an old fuel system that's never had it, it'll flush a lot of gunk into the filter. It's not the bio that's clogging the filter, it's the junk left from years of dirty fuel...

Good luck.

Makes sense to me i guess... i`ve been many years away from diesels, and i know things have changed. So from what i`m getting from all you guys, is that its probably a good idea to be running the Silver PS-DieselKleen right from the get go.

I thank each and every one of you for your thoughts and ideas and all the comments... i`m slowly catching back up into the diesel world... One day at a time.

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #27  
I mix about 2 oz of the silver bottle per 5 gallon tank. Been doing it for years, no fuel issues.

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #28  
Hi,

I some how got algee growing in my diesel five or so years ago. I have been using additives for that long now. Started with the one they make one for algee, but now use the boost additive.

I also use stable fuel when winterizing gas motors, and fuel for the generator.
Using the old stable containers and filling with additive allows me to mix small five gallon quantities.

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #29  
I`m wondering what it would hurt if the 2 additives were mixed together if i were to have extra left over summer fuel.
I dont know anybody in my local area that i could empty the summer fuel out so that i could re-fill the 5gal can with winter mix.
PAPOW, don't over think this issue. With the change of seasons, just fill up your tank with the mix you intend to use at that time. Won't matter what mix is still left in the fuel tank. ;)

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #30  
wow! many wild variety comments here.

i been using power service in my BX since i got it. it got somewhere around 1500 hours now. i use a black sharpie to mark out the intervals of how much to pour on the see thru side of bottle so i am not overdosing, nor under . i really trust the white bottle for winter use and i havent had any gelling yet. i use the silver for summer use , it cant hurt to use it , i just dont want anything to grow inside the tank causing the filter to plug up. better to be safe then sorry. as for having summer fuel left in the tank heading into the winter, i wouldnt worry about it if you use the bx for clearing snow. by the time the REALLY cold temps roll around, you should have already used up the summer fuel in the tank or at least have it half empty then fill with fresh fuel with white PS bottle added. i dont worry about the timing of when to switch fuels. The question is how often do you fill up? If I look at my purchases of diesel for BX, I average roughly 5 gallons a month, if not more so the timing to switch colors of power service is not a concern.