Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions)

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions)
What`s you guys opinions on the HOWE`S diesel treatment (???)
I was checkin some out at welfare-mart tonight after work.

And you guys that are adding 2-stroke motor oil to your fuel... how much are you mixing, and what brand are you using.

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #62  
If you look at the MSDS sheets they will tell you how much 2-EHN (2-Ethylhexyl Nitrate) is in the formulation. The more, the better. This is what boosts the cetane number and is the expensive ingredient.

I use Opti-lube boost and XL. For 40L (2.5 gallons) of fuel, I use 150mL of each in my tractor. In my car I use 300mL of the Boost and 150mL of XL in 70L of fuel.

I you do this, you will immediately feel the difference in your engine - very smooth running and quieter. I use the lower does of XL in the car because of the DPF (diesel particulate filter).

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #63  

And you guys that are adding 2-stroke motor oil to your fuel... how much are you mixing, and what brand are you using.

I can tell you from the MSDS that it's almost entirely made up of fuel oil and paint thinner. IMHO Howe's does not seem like it would have much benefit.

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #64  
well -- i had my BX for a quite a few winters (nearly a decade) and had several winters with temps below 0 degrees. i dont have a block heater nor heated garage. my garage that houses the BX is the same temp as outside and i havent had a single gelled issue yet. I have used the BX in these temps, in blowing snow conditions too. NOT a single starting problem yet and i am still on the original battery. I must be jinxing myself right now just for saying this :shocked: . again -- to the naysayers -- i only use ps stuff in the diesel and i dont think 10 years isnt a bad record.

well -- i had my BX for a quite a few winters (nearly a decade) and had several winters with temps below 0 degrees. i dont have a block heater nor heated garage. my garage that houses the BX is the same temp as outside and i havent had a single gelled issue yet. I have used the BX in these temps, in blowing snow conditions too. NOT a single starting problem yet and i am still on the original battery. I must be jinxing myself right now just for saying this :shocked: . again -- to the naysayers -- i only use ps stuff in the diesel and i dont think 10 years isnt a bad record.

Well thats a pretty darn good track record i`d say...! I`m leaning towards the PS products... seems alotta people have had pretty good luck using it.
I`m just really concerned with getting enough lubricant to the injection pump... i hear they`re pretty pricey to replace. Thats why i asked about the 2-stroke oil.

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #66  
PS Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost lists 10 - 30% Alkyl Nitrates - this is the 2-EHN. It's too bad they don't specify it better. 40 - 90% petroleum distillates - fuel oils - adds lubricity, but little to no impact on cetane number. You would have to dose your fuel many times the recommended dose rate to get a significant rise in cetane number.

I think if lubrication is your primary concern and not the cetane number so much, the 2-stroke oil is probably your best bet.

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #68  

The area where I live is all logging companies and they put more hours on their machines in one week than most of us do in a year and that is what they use HOWE's. The one machine that was here the first of the year while they were cutting mine off had very high hours and it was going in for the first engine rebuild when it left here, so it must work

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #69  
I use Power Service white bottle with every tank of diesel in my L2350DT since I can't guarantee my fuel will be actually burned up in the summer or winter. I also put some 2 cycle oil in as well because oil of today doesn't lubricate enough for my older diesel in my opinion. Seems to be working fine so far so I intend to continue.

I use Power Service white bottle with every tank of diesel in my L2350DT since I can't guarantee my fuel will be actually burned up in the summer or winter. I also put some 2 cycle oil in as well because oil of today doesn't lubricate enough for my older diesel in my opinion. Seems to be working fine so far so I intend to continue.

I`ve been going all over the diesel forums everywhere... seems theres an awful lot of people saying NOT to put 2-stroke oil in these new diesels.