Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions)

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #41  
I just bought a brand new BX23s this past week...
Would it wise for me to add this additive to the very first tank of diesel fuel...?
I have a 5-gallon diesel fuel can, how much of this additive should i mix with 5-gallons of diesel fuel...???

Thanks...!
Why why why ?

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #43  
-- i'd just start using ps from day one when as soon you can. as for your mmm deck - i recommend trying it out to mow with this summer. compare the fuel usage with your gasser and see how much you actually use. i am willing to bet that you will burn less per gallon with diesel , saving you money. if you like the cut and dont mind - then mow with diesel. I'd just park the gasser or sell. I still kick myself to this day for not buying the BX from day one when i moved here. I used several riding tractors and now i am never going back to gas.
one- it doesnt bog down in taller grass or cutting grassing with clippings same time like the 12hp to 18 hp gas does. two fuel savings (did i mention it again?) three the time saved with 5 foot compared to 38-48 inch decks. 4 - in winter its easier to take off and use fel to lift the deck into upright position for saving space. i made my own wheels with bolts to hold it upright .

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #45  
If I might be so bold as to add my 2 cents . . .

I don't think we should paint all additives with the same brush, considering that all diesel fuel has additives in it when you get it at the pump. Not all fuel retailers put the same additives in, and not all retailers provide the same quality of diesel.

Things we do know:
Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) does not have the same lubricating properties as higher sulphur diesel.
The additives are what correct for the lubricity
The diesel fuel is the only source of lubrication for the pump
Some retailers sell the diesel unmodified from the filling depot, others add it at the pump or in their own tanks
Cetane improvers (primarily 2-EHN) do improve the ignition quality of diesel
Optimum cetane rating is about 55 - few retailers offer greater than 42
There is no detriment to cetane numbers well above optimum ignition - i.e. no known upper limit that will cause an issue

Things I have observed:
pump failures seem to be on the rise for all makes and models
few additives have enough 2-EHN in the prescribed doses to make a significant difference in cetane number - according to Sandia National Lab a dose rate of 250:1 diesel:2-EHN is required to achieve a 10-point increase in cetane number
most additives are primarily composed of diesel fuel
In an independent test with limited control, a proper dose of 2-EHN significantly decreased the number of regens for engines/exhausts with DPFs
The number of variables are too hard to account for in order to determine a fuel economy improvement

What I do:
I blend my own 2-EHN and diesel fuel lubricant because I can't be certain the retailers put enough additives in
In Canada the minimum cetane number is 40, however, reporting and compliance is voluntary, so with my dosing, I will usually be pretty close to optimum, sometimes over sometimes under
I keep my diesels for a long time, so I think it's worth it - a failed high-pressure pump on a common rail V6 can easily run into 10K in repairs
My doses cost $4 landed cost per 75 litre fill-up (19.8 US gallons)

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #46  
Diesel fuel additives will not work if you use synthetic oil. They cancel each other out. If you use full synthetic oil like I do, it can only be 5w-40, and you must use Startron gasoline treatment in your fuel or your engine will seize.

:stirthepot: :devil:

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions)
If I might be so bold as to add my 2 cents . . .

I don't think we should paint all additives with the same brush, considering that all diesel fuel has additives in it when you get it at the pump. Not all fuel retailers put the same additives in, and not all retailers provide the same quality of diesel.

Things we do know:
Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) does not have the same lubricating properties as higher sulphur diesel.
The additives are what correct for the lubricity
The diesel fuel is the only source of lubrication for the pump
Some retailers sell the diesel unmodified from the filling depot, others add it at the pump or in their own tanks
Cetane improvers (primarily 2-EHN) do improve the ignition quality of diesel
Optimum cetane rating is about 55 - few retailers offer greater than 42
There is no detriment to cetane numbers well above optimum ignition - i.e. no known upper limit that will cause an issue

Things I have observed:
pump failures seem to be on the rise for all makes and models
few additives have enough 2-EHN in the prescribed doses to make a significant difference in cetane number - according to Sandia National Lab a dose rate of 250:1 diesel:2-EHN is required to achieve a 10-point increase in cetane number
most additives are primarily composed of diesel fuel
In an independent test with limited control, a proper dose of 2-EHN significantly decreased the number of regens for engines/exhausts with DPFs
The number of variables are too hard to account for in order to determine a fuel economy improvement

What I do:
I blend my own 2-EHN and diesel fuel lubricant because I can't be certain the retailers put enough additives in
In Canada the minimum cetane number is 40, however, reporting and compliance is voluntary, so with my dosing, I will usually be pretty close to optimum, sometimes over sometimes under
I keep my diesels for a long time, so I think it's worth it - a failed high-pressure pump on a common rail V6 can easily run into 10K in repairs
My doses cost $4 landed cost per 75 litre fill-up (19.8 US gallons)

Where i live here in NY, i have YET to see a diesel fueling station with a CETANE number above 40 on the pumps. Every place i`ve stopped, they`re all CETANE 40. So i go back in the BX23s operators manual, it says to use "minimum" CETANE 45, and says 50 would be better. Now me thinks i might have made a mistake buying this tractor...? If i`m buying all these additives, just to be able to run this tractor, its making me wonder if its worth all this hassle owning a diesel to start with. Not to mention ALL the extra service`s and cost of service`s, cost to fix if it breaks...? I dunno, i`m thinkin that this is alot to wrap my head around.

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #48  
I wouldn't get too up in arms about it; pouring some additive in before each tank is pretty simple, but you'll find most people don't do it all and still get lots of worry-free years of operation.

Routine maintenance services should be a DIY thing and are pretty cheap and simple. I think you've got yourself a good machine and will be quite happy with it.

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions) #49  
Where i live here in NY, i have YET to see a diesel fueling station with a CETANE number above 40 on the pumps. Every place i`ve stopped, they`re all CETANE 40. So i go back in the BX23s operators manual, it says to use "minimum" CETANE 45, and says 50 would be better. Now me thinks i might have made a mistake buying this tractor...? If i`m buying all these additives, just to be able to run this tractor, its making me wonder if its worth all this hassle owning a diesel to start with. Not to mention ALL the extra service`s and cost of service`s, cost to fix if it breaks...? I dunno, i`m thinkin that this is alot to wrap my head around.

(Seeing himself as he's typing......) A bit of over-thinking happening :)

Just pay attention to service basics (change fluids/filters on schedule, grease it, store fuel properly), and your Kub will likely outlive many of us. They have a good rep, that has been well-earned.

Limits ? Sure, all machines have them. People like these small Kubs so much, they tend to take on projects that should be tackled with much larger machines. Tiny bites, yeah, you can manage to eat an elephant - too many large bites for too long leads to bending or breaking machines - not a Kub issue, just the physics at play.....

With any diesel, it's always a good idea to have at least one fuel filter on the shelf at home. Your going to need to change it eventually, and the middle of a bad storm is not a good time to find out you have a plugged up one. This spare-on-shelf is doubly important IMO on today's small tractors - they typically have just a tiny inline filter, with no dual-stage separator assembly - they are often harder to notice plugging up, or loading up with water. Again, this is not just a Kub issue, it's common to this class of tractor.

If you want to see a nice build, somebody on here added an upgraded Racor fuel filter assembly to his small Kub (thinking it was Scooby ?). Not a 30 minute project, and IIRC, he added enough armour around that assembly (low-mount location) to help with survivability. Not trying to add to your To Do List ;) , that upgrade is definitely in the NiceToAddWhenIHaveTimeMoneyOtherThingsDone List.... but that thread nicely contrasts an industrial filter setup with what typically gets installed by the factory for inline filters today.....

Rgds, D.

/ Silver Bottle, Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Additive (questions)
(Seeing himself as he's typing......) A bit of over-thinking happening :)

Just pay attention to service basics (change fluids/filters on schedule, grease it, store fuel properly), and your Kub will likely outlive many of us. They have a good rep, that has been well-earned.

Limits ? Sure, all machines have them. People like these small Kubs so much, they tend to take on projects that should be tackled with much larger machines. Tiny bites, yeah, you can manage to eat an elephant - too many large bites for too long leads to bending or breaking machines - not a Kub issue, just the physics at play.....

With any diesel, it's always a good idea to have at least one fuel filter on the shelf at home. Your going to need to change it eventually, and the middle of a bad storm is not a good time to find out you have a plugged up one. This spare-on-shelf is doubly important IMO on today's small tractors - they typically have just a tiny inline filter, with no dual-stage separator assembly - they are often harder to notice plugging up, or loading up with water. Again, this is not just a Kub issue, it's common to this class of tractor.

If you want to see a nice build, somebody on here added an upgraded Racor fuel filter assembly to his small Kub (thinking it was Scooby ?). Not a 30 minute project, and IIRC, he added enough armour around that assembly (low-mount location) to help with survivability. Not trying to add to your To Do List ;) , that upgrade is definitely in the NiceToAddWhenIHaveTimeMoneyOtherThingsDone List.... but that thread nicely contrasts an industrial filter setup with what typically gets installed by the factory for inline filters today.....

Rgds, D.

Yeah, i tend to put more thinking into things than the average person, but when i can make something work better, last longer, its all worth it. I`ve already decided to upgrade/change the fuel filters out to a much better system, ones that i can easily access in front of me. I`m pretty old and i dont want or need to be crawling around changing that rear filter, especially in the brutal winters. My plan is to install shut-off valves before & after the filters, with bleeders, to get the air out of the fuel line. I`m not a fan of pinching fuel hose`s to change filters... thats just asking for trouble later on down the road if you know what i mean. They make some pretty nice filter and sediment traps today for diesels. I already have everything picked out for the job. I`ve seen a couple people on youtube do this to their BX25`s and it sure looks likes a big winner to me. For what it will cost to do it, i believe, it will save alot of pains later.

I hear ya Dave, about to much of a bite... i`m not worried about that, this tractor will more than handle everything i intend to do with it. Small bites, never choke. If theres one thing i`ve learned in 6 decades, if you beat it, it will break. I intend to do all the service work on this tractor... just like i have with every other tractor, car, truck... etc etc etc. I spent 30+yrs turning wrench`s for a living, i`m pretty handy. In addition to that, i cant stand someone else working on my stuff. I`m very picky when it comes to quality work. As they say, if you want something done right, you`ll have to do it yourself...lol.