Skid pads??? Needed? Necessary?

/ Skid pads??? Needed? Necessary? #41  
I had the same problem with my snow blower, I made some ajustable brackets and put wheels on. I adjust the wheels so it is up enough not to hit the gravel and then when I take the blower off I put them down all the way and I can move it around the shed quite easily.:)

Thinking of doing the same.
Do you have a couple of photos of your wheels and brackets?
Thanks, Ray

/ Skid pads??? Needed? Necessary? #42  
I bought the skid shoes designed for my snowblower and they work great when they are finally adjusted right.
Having a gravel drive you need something to keep it off the stone
I have left them on all winter long as I have to use the blower come springtime as well. We always get snow after our first thaws hence the reason for keeping them on.
Regards
DGS

/ Skid pads??? Needed? Necessary? #43  
I'm coming down the stretch on my blower conversion and I am waffling between skids or wheels (for gravel road/driveway).

I'm leaning towards skids. Seems fairly wide and long skids would work best. I'm thinking 3 1/2" wide and about 10" long, leading and trailing edges arched up. Cutting edge settings at 1" and 2" above gravel.

I've considered as wide as about 5" to achieve the most "float".

For you guys with blower skids, what width/length do you recommend? Do they gouge when turning? Anyone have straight skids that swivel?

Swivel skid idea: Mount the skid on a round shaft through a pipe attached to blower. Shaft is attached to the skid 1/3 from front of skid. Skid is angled about 5 degrees up towards front. Maybe skid would track somewhat through a turn like a wheel caster? What do you think?

For the wheelie guys, what diameter/width works for you? I was looking at some Surplus Center 5"dia x 2" wide wheels. I think they should swivel so they don't gouge the gravel when turning.

We get transitional snow here. Rarely get a hard freeze. Mostly rather wet snow, dumps of up to 12"-16", lasts a few weeks then often followed by by rain and melted away so the shoes will be left on all winter. Road is fairly thin layer (3"+/-) of 3/4" crushed slate w/fines over hard pack clay mixed with decades old road base. Drive is in good shape, flat, no ruts, good stable base and good drainage.

/ Skid pads??? Needed? Necessary? #44  
My drive conditions are similar.
2" x 10" skids work fine for me on a 60" blower and I leave them on all winter.

/ Skid pads??? Needed? Necessary? #45  
My drive conditions are similar.
2" x 10" skids work fine for me on a 60" blower and I leave them on all winter.

Thanks Bob. My drive is curved. Do your skids gouge the gravel when turning? What do you think of my swivel skid idea?

The gear change and TPH mounting fabrication went well: just waiting to get the gears back from machine shop that has big enough broach for the keyways. Then fire it up and check for vibration etc when fully assembled. Just skids and chute rotation and painting left to be done. Look for a post on the conversion soon.

Ray

/ Skid pads??? Needed? Necessary? #46  
do you have down pressure on the three point hitch,if not i think that is going to ride up all the time on you real bad if you have wet heavy snow,you should make short pipe skids that go the same direction as the blower and mounet them like you have that pipe, skids and bracket on the out side of blower, we never get snow here in maine

/ Skid pads??? Needed? Necessary? #47  
Ray
Not really, and not enough to worry about as maybe that is only the first snow event.
Driving after first event compacts the base and then the skids are sliding on compacted base.
Actually after about 3 events the skids can be remouved, however I leave them on and just get a better base as time goes on. Since I also have a front plow I can trim this base back at any time. Also you can remouve the skids once the base is established and end up with a perfectly smoothe drive, better than it is in the summer.
(My paved drive is recycled pave compacted over dirt base so I have all kinds of bumps and dips. I needed to hard surface due to erosion and did not remouve rocks down to frost level. (4ft around here))

Also I did try swivil skid shoes with bad results on my plow.
The shoes would not swivil, the continued to track straight and gauged worse than without. Mushroom shaped skids (omnidirectional) are the only type that will work on turns (about 4" diam like Fisher etc use) At that (on a plow) they still dig in until the base is frozen hard!*
I think that for skids to swivil one would need the pins to be sorta 'L' shaped in order to let them swivel. Too complicated IMHO for the short time benefit.

* so with plows, we simply back blade the first snows to create a base.

/ Skid pads??? Needed? Necessary? #48  
Ray
Not really, and not enough to worry about as maybe that is only the first snow event.

Ok...good. I'll do the straight skids for now and deal with a swivel design later if I don't like the fixed ones. I'm making mine 10" x 3" wide as my top gravel is loosened up a bit each year after raking leaves.

Got my gears back from machine shop, assembled and did a test power-up last night. So far so good.

/ Skid pads??? Needed? Necessary? #49  
RB.jpg

/ Skid pads??? Needed? Necessary? #50  
Nice adjustable wheel design, garc. I'll keep it in mind if I don't like the skids I built.

I tried my 3x10 fixed skids on raw gravel and when level they dug in even with a decent upturned leading edge. I found if I tilt them up so front edge is 3/4 inch high they glide over the gravel with very little damage.