Skid plate

/ Skid plate #81  
So are you saying that you would use Bob's original design for the HST area plate but would remove it each time you mounted the BH? That would certainly work but has a bit of a PITA factor. I was wondering if there was a slight modification of Bob's plate that might work with the BH subframe. I assume that your grey chassis frame has about the same dimensions and size as mine when looking at the area around the HST filter (I know they are different dimensions forward of that point). As I look at the photo (below) of that area, I cringe at the thought of trying to drill and tap four or more holes while working upside down under the tractor and blocked by the rear wheel. Is that what you are proposing to do? I am still pondering how to weld up a bracket that would go around the chassis frame and just clamp on instead.

I must crawl under my GREY frame DK40SE HST built in 6 of 011 to ponder any chances of drilling and tapping the frame. Clamping might be a tad beter as to not scrach the DARK GREY paint. You think????;)

/ Skid plate #82  
I must crawl under my GREY frame DK40SE HST built in 6 of 011 to ponder any chances of drilling and tapping the frame. Clamping might be a tad beter as to not scrach the DARK GREY paint. You think????;)

So give me some ideas on how to fabricate a clamp! I'm envisioning something that would be either welded or bolted to the skid plate and go above/below the frame to be bolted together on the outboard side of the frame so that it clamps in place. Might need to be three parts: bottom of skid plate to other side of frame bottom, top of skid plate up and over the frame, and a connector piece that would bolt the two together and apply clamping pressure. Sounds clunky and I'm sure there is someone on TBN who has a better idea (that I can fabricate with press brake, welder and drill press). I'd like to avoid tapping anything down under the tractor for any number of reasons starting with my lack of any 90 degree angle head tools or the patience to drill that many holes in solid steel much less then tapping them.

/ Skid plate #83  
So give me some ideas on how to fabricate a clamp! I'm envisioning something that would be either welded or bolted to the skid plate and go above/below the frame to be bolted together on the outboard side of the frame so that it clamps in place. Might need to be three parts: bottom of skid plate to other side of frame bottom, top of skid plate up and over the frame, and a connector piece that would bolt the two together and apply clamping pressure. Sounds clunky and I'm sure there is someone on TBN who has a better idea (that I can fabricate with press brake, welder and drill press). I'd like to avoid tapping anything down under the tractor for any number of reasons starting with my lack of any 90 degree angle head tools or the patience to drill that many holes in solid steel much less then tapping them.

Well, What did you come up with?:cool:

/ Skid plate #84  
Well, What did you come up with?:cool:

Well, with no help from the peanut gallery, I am still stuck on just a clamp over the grey/black solid piece that attaches to the FEL mount and back to the rear axle/BH subframe. (by the way, does anyone know the official term for that structure? It is solid 3/4x3" steel so has been engineered to serve some function).

My clamp solution may not work that well for tractors with the Kioti BH though at least for the rear hydraulic filter guard, as there is little clearance between the two if I am reading your photo's correctly.

/ Skid plate #85  
Well, with no help from the peanut gallery, I am still stuck on just a clamp over the grey/black solid piece that attaches to the FEL mount and back to the rear axle/BH subframe. (by the way, does anyone know the official term for that structure? It is solid 3/4x3" steel so has been engineered to serve some function).

My clamp solution may not work that well for tractors with the Kioti BH though at least for the rear hydraulic filter guard, as there is little clearance between the two if I am reading your photo's correctly.

Well Sir Edward, What can we do now to get this going? Almost time to make my trek into the woods....:eek:

/ Skid plate #86  
Well Sir Edward, What can we do now to get this going? Almost time to make my trek into the woods....:eek:

To be honest I haven't thought about it for a few weeks. Too busy tractoring when I am on the island. Got a few nice stumps out, a couple of fields tilled and some recalcitrant Black Locust trees bush hogged back to submission in the past few weekends.

I suppose it is time to crawl under the tractor and try to be inspired again but as I left things I was struggling with 1) a universal skid plate shape that would work for my Woods BH equipped tractor, your Kioti BH equipped tractor and a DK with no BH. Also, as you may recall, there has somewhere along the way been a change in how the frame between the FEL post and rear axle has been fabricated (mine bolted together from several parts, yours a single part with bends). As I recall I was thinking along the lines of a single type of plate but with different attachment clamps depending on individual model. I'll have to reread the thread to find out.:confused2:

I'll take this as a reminder and crawl back under with my tape measure and camera this weekend.

/ Skid plate #87  
bump, what ever happened to bob42? Ed, looks like a drill and tap on that bracket will be the way to go. Bob has not posted since 4-20-12

/ Skid plate #88  
bump again?

/ Skid plate #89  
I thought I had posted a bunch of pictures of my armor in the gallery, but I can't
find the gallery anymore.

/ Skid plate #90  
CM this is the thread I'm talking about. Check out the measurement for 22% to see if yours is the same.See post # 62