Skid Steer vs Tractor

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #11  
Very interesting thread. We had always thought we wanted a skid steer. A friend was moving and needed a place to store some construction equipment and left his Bobcat 864 at one of our farms as we were swapping out work and equipment. After using it for a couple of months or more and having another friend using a similar sized Gehl on our other farm, we decided while they did some things great, soil damage was too much and they just were not needed for what we do.

For some they really appear to be the ideal tool though.

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #12  
I am in the opposite position. I own a skid steer but need to do some light farming/food plots. I have aquired a 3 point hitch for my slid steer and use it for disking small areas to be planted. Works good but I have to back up with it all the time. I could turn the disk gangs around and push the disk but then I would have to travel over the disked ground. One nice thing about the skid mounted disk, no weight is required as you can put all the down pressure you need on the disk. Traction is not as good as with a tractor, but my disk is only 7' wide so most times it is adequate. Original plan was to purchase the skid steer for land clearing, but most of that is done and now I'm into planting some of the cleared areas. I absolutely could not get along without the skid steer and would like to have a tractor also. Oh well, poor people have poor ways of getting the job done.

I believe the 3 point hitch hitch adapter for the skid steer would be beneficial for moving 3 point implements around for the small farmer. Sure is easy to hook up as everything is right in front of you. My skid steer 3 point adapter is a quick hitch and is adjustable to cat1, cat2, and maybe even cat3. 3 point adapter also has a reciever hitch built in for moving trailers also.

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #13  
For the price offered, it would be worth trying to see how you like it. If you don't like it you should easily be able to get your investment back. We have a friend that purchased a Bobcat S250 for storm clean up. Was able to use it and pay for it with contract work during that time. He has no place to store it and it stays under our barn and he lives 75 miles away. This machine has a 72" grapple and 72" bucket. We have been given permission to use as we wish. In five years we have not put the bucket on the machine. I also have a FEL on my tractor so therefore it hasn't been needed. I have used the grapple quite a bit to clear new trails/roads and clean up existing. The work this machine can do in tight quarters can not be equaled by a tractor, but if I was forced to pick one I would stay with my tractor for the work I do. The skidsteer would be a better rental use for me. As others have menitioned, the ground damage from this machine is high. When working in roads/trails I usually have to come behind with box blade and level the ruts. I believe tracks would help this.

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #14  
The work this machine can do in tight quarters can not be equaled by a tractor, but if I was forced to pick one I would stay with my tractor for the work I do. The skidsteer would be a better rental use for me. As others have menitioned, the ground damage from this machine is high. When working in roads/trails I usually have to come behind with box blade and level the ruts. I believe tracks would help this.

Actually, both units we used were tracked and like you, I had to go behind them and repair the damage with my tractor and box blade. I am sure smaller units wouldn't be as bad though.

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor
Got her on the trailer this week, drop it at the mechanic tomorrow, he is going to service the wole thing, all new fluids and filters. Fix the linkage issue and run it through the paces.

I will be running it on hard surface most of the time so digging up is not really an issue. I know it will never replace the tractors, I just want a small manuverable loader. The more people I talk to the more excited I get to try it out, I decided the skid steer is just what I need around here. I have looked quite closely at the mounting plate and I am pretty sure I can fabricate an adapter plate to mount my JD attachments the the loader. I have rock bucket, bale spear, pallet forks, push blade, and 2 buckets for the JD so that will make it a little more versatile.

Thanks for the input, it helps me out hearing from you guys (and gals). I feel like there is a lot of knowledge at my fingertips here.

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #16  
Got her on the trailer this week, drop it at the mechanic tomorrow, he is going to service the wole thing, all new fluids and filters. Fix the linkage issue and run it through the paces.

I will be running it on hard surface most of the time so digging up is not really an issue. I know it will never replace the tractors, I just want a small manuverable loader. The more people I talk to the more excited I get to try it out, I decided the skid steer is just what I need around here. I have looked quite closely at the mounting plate and I am pretty sure I can fabricate an adapter plate to mount my JD attachments the the loader. I have rock bucket, bale spear, pallet forks, push blade, and 2 buckets for the JD so that will make it a little more versatile.

Thanks for the input, it helps me out hearing from you guys (and gals). I feel like there is a lot of knowledge at my fingertips here.

Loader control not coming back to center could be broken centering spring. FYI Thoms used a Salami control valve for quite awhile, may still do. In case you need to look for parts.

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #17  
If most of your work will be on pavement, throw a little sand on it where you will be running. Less wear on your tires, and less marks on the concrete.

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor
I don't think I need sand, the cattle make all the cushion a man could want. Actually several people I know run studded truck tires for traction in the wet manure. I don't care about marking the concrete, and tire wear is inevitable, at $100 each the skid steer tires will seam like pennies compared to tractor tires.

The story is interesting, I didn't get to read it word for word but I browsed through several chapters and it sound like they invented the machine for me.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #20  
Quote:
Originally Posted by deere5105
The work this machine can do in tight quarters can not be equaled by a tractor, but if I was forced to pick one I would stay with my tractor for the work I do. The skidsteer would be a better rental use for me. As others have menitioned, the ground damage from this machine is high. When working in roads/trails I usually have to come behind with box blade and level the ruts. I believe tracks would help this.

Actually, both units we used were tracked and like you, I had to go behind them and repair the damage with my tractor and box blade. I am sure smaller units wouldn't be as bad though.
I do agree that a skid steer tears up the ground, but I can't imagine needing to repair with a box blade. I can back drag with my skid steer and smooth out any tracks I have left. Not so in a lawn situation, but certainly true on any road or trail.