Skid Steer vs Tractor

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #21  
I agree. But, you gotta know when to park it. When my buddy stored his S185 Bobcat here a few years ago, I got it out when it was really wet. I didn't get it stuck, but I had to put it away because I was just going to make a mess.

But, had that issue with my tractors too...

I do agree that a skid steer tears up the ground, but I can't imagine needing to repair with a box blade. I can back drag with my skid steer and smooth out any tracks I have left. Not so in a lawn situation, but certainly true on any road or trail.

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #22  
Quote:
Originally Posted by deere5105
The work this machine can do in tight quarters can not be equaled by a tractor, but if I was forced to pick one I would stay with my tractor for the work I do. The skidsteer would be a better rental use for me. As others have menitioned, the ground damage from this machine is high. When working in roads/trails I usually have to come behind with box blade and level the ruts. I believe tracks would help this.

Actually, both units we used were tracked and like you, I had to go behind them and repair the damage with my tractor and box blade. I am sure smaller units wouldn't be as bad though.
I do agree that a skid steer tears up the ground, but I can't imagine needing to repair with a box blade. I can back drag with my skid steer and smooth out any tracks I have left. Not so in a lawn situation, but certainly true on any road or trail.

The type work I am talking about has you constantly turning in circles in the road bed using the grapple to push or dig the trees and overhanging limbs. The working weight on the S250 with grapple is around 10,000 lbs. It will make ruts pretty quickly. If the ground is sandy or soft the R4 tires and weight dig in pretty quick and you wind up pushing yourself around to get unstuck. With the grapple you can back drag and get pretty smooth. When working long distances it is just easier to smooth with the box blade or bionic blade and get a better finish. Usually the equipment is readily available so no additional trips are needed to the work location.

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #23  
One con is that skid steers will tear the **** out of your pastures, etc.