Skidding Winches

/ Skidding Winches #11  
You can engage the lock and tow with the cable, and that's perfectly acceptable. The lock is manually set (or can be rigged to require releasing and automatically engage, but they're noisy like that) for when you want to tow with the cable.

Seriously, watch some videos on youtube. These questions would be answered if you just saw some guys using them.

/ Skidding Winches #12  
What I seem to understand now:

Chain drive reduction to winch drum for pulling. No reverse gear, but the cable is controlled and released by a clutch and brake system on the drum. The winch pulls the load to the tractor, then the load is chained to the winch frame to be towed away, not towed by winch cable and brake.

Correct?

Bruce

Very close. There is no problem using the winch dog gear brake to hold the load while skidding. At least that is true for the Farmi I have. Don't know about the others. The choice of skidding on the winch cable or transferring the logs to the lower winch frame is one of skidding safety and depends on terrain, log size, etc.

/ Skidding Winches #13  

Wallenstein's are close cousins design wise to the Farmi's. I have a FX85, I just took the label off when I put the SMV sticker on.

/ Skidding Winches #14  
A mechanical drum lock, not a brake? Or a brake, too?

I've watched several videos, but can't see what is going on in the machinery that is out of sight. And see different methods used.

Tractor logging winches are scarce around here, maybe once a year on CL. But lots of these in sight on rural drives. Maybe that's why so few tractor logging winches.

/ Skidding Winches #15  
It's a one way pawl lock. Call it a brake, lock, whatever - it keeps the cable from reversing.

It's not all that different than this (function wise):

KickStarters_pawl1.jpg

/ Skidding Winches #16  
A mechanical drum lock, not a brake? Or a brake, too?

I've watched several videos, but can't see what is going on in the machinery that is out of sight. And see different methods used.

Tractor logging winches are scarce around here, maybe once a year on CL. But lots of these in sight on rural drives. Maybe that's why so few tractor logging winches.

From what I have seen of WA which is mostly the North Cascades and Olympic Peninsular you have vey steep ground and very big trees. Neither of which tend to be tractor friendly. Maybe that is why winches are scarce.

/ Skidding Winches #17  
From what I have seen of WA which is mostly the North Cascades and Olympic Peninsular you have vey steep ground and very big trees. Neither of which tend to be tractor friendly. Maybe that is why winches are scarce.

On CL today, the 2nd Farmi I've ever seen on CL.

skidderCL.jpg

Bruce

/ Skidding Winches #18  
For that price, you can get a new FX90 old model, or new FX85 delivered.

I've never seen one on CL here either, and we have a lot of gypo logging going on.

/ Skidding Winches #20  
I have a few places where you are not going to drive to the tree. Most winches have 200' of cable or less. Without a straw line pulling anymore cable by hand is not going to make anyone happy.

The two drum "donkey" winch was vital in the development of this nation. Nothing like it exists today. (Other than half million dollar +yarders and slackline excavation.)

It would be a great build to have two drums and maybe a mast with guy lines.