Skidding Winches

/ Skidding Winches #21  
Hud-son distributes Uniforest winches, which are very nice from the looks of the various videos (most of them are in some European language). They're roughly twice the money of the Wallenstein for the same pulling power.

/ Skidding Winches #22  
I have a few places where you are not going to drive to the tree. Most winches have 200' of cable or less. Without a straw line pulling anymore cable by hand is not going to make anyone happy.

The two drum "donkey" winch was vital in the development of this nation. Nothing like it exists today. (Other than half million dollar +yarders and slackline excavation.)

It would be a great build to have two drums and maybe a mast with guy lines.

Some outfit in Europe sells a tractor yarder kit that wasn't overly expensive considering. It had a PTO driven winch pulling a carriage on a skyline via remote control. Might have been Uniforest or maybe it was Tajfun?

I don't see tractor logging as a viable solution for a crew. If you're pulling that much wood, you should pony up for a skidder since they'll handle more per turn than any utility tractor and they're purpose built for keeping the driver safe and moving lots of wood.

/ Skidding Winches #23  
I agree a skidder for production. A winch gives access to otherwise inaccessible places.

The US Forest service developed a very small yarder for removal of fire loads in difficult or sensitive terrain. 1/4" cable. Still in use since the '80s.

Just like a grapple, once people have a skidding winch they find it handy for all kinds of things. Imagine being able to clean swimming areas on ponds of mud by setting up a small slackline.

/ Skidding Winches #24  
I've pulled out some pretty good sticks with mine,

standard.jpg

I wouldn't want one without a screen or hitch... the screen for safety and I use the hitch ALL the time!

standard.jpg

SR

/ Skidding Winches #26  
Fascinating read there Bruce. Seems like they would've gotten a lot more accomplished with those sticks by hauling more than 5 per turn. Based on the numbers, they had plenty of capacity.

/ Skidding Winches #28  
Hud-son distributes Uniforest winches, which are very nice from the looks of the various videos (most of them are in some European language). They're roughly twice the money of the Wallenstein for the same pulling power.
Things must have changed a fair bit from when I bought my Uniforest winch from Hud-son and shipped it down here quite a few years ago, because they were amongst the cheapest of the good winches back then, and Hud-son were great to deal with.

Have you had any more thoughts about building your own remote, Jim? That's what I most regret not buying about the winches. Time and money all over again, it would be a radio remote (for winch and tractor) and a double drum.

/ Skidding Winches #29  
Their prices are on the website. I must've been looking at a hydro model by accident. They're a few hundred more than the Wallenstein of similar capacity, but it's closer to 15%.

/ Skidding Winches #30  
Their prices are on the website. It's almost $7K for their 10,000lb option, and that's not hydro either.
Just went there and the 40E has only gone up a hundy. Sounds like others must have come down a fair bit. Or perhaps Uniforest aren't competitive in the larger winches?