Slip Clutch/Gear Box Spline Problem

/ Slip Clutch/Gear Box Spline Problem #21  
Regardless; plenty of good thinking.

,,,See Egons link and see what you think.

Taper Pin.jpg
I'd say Egon's link clearly shows a tapered pin and I think you're correct: that taper pin is called out to retain and immobilize that joint.
So did a tapered pin get used to secure the collar, or was it secured with a plain bolt?
Just looked at the OP's first post, with picture of the plain bolt, so it would seem we have the smoking gun.

/ Slip Clutch/Gear Box Spline Problem
View attachment 439335
I'd say Egon's link clearly shows a tapered pin and I think you're correct: that taper pin is called out to retain and immobilize that joint.
So did a tapered pin get used to secure the collar, or was it secured with a plain bolt?
Just looked at the OP's first post, with picture of the plain bolt, so it would seem we have the smoking gun.

WE used JD bolt listed in my reply (#11). Definitely not tapered. Will communicate this with mechanic helping me. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

/ Slip Clutch/Gear Box Spline Problem #23  
View attachment 439335

I'm curious to hear what the serial number is of AgMan's MX10. Note the serial number in Egon's operators manual link goes to <-8000 on a MX10. MX10 parts catalog lists a capscrew after serial number 8000.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    20.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    18.7 KB · Views: 59
   / Slip Clutch/Gear Box Spline Problem #24  
I'm curious to hear what the serial number is of AgMan's MX10. Note the serial number in Egon's operators manual link goes to <-8000 on a MX10. MX10 parts catalog lists a capscrew after serial number 8000.
To go to a bolt from a taper pin would require complimentary re design of the joint. Otherwise it would be a downgrade - - an example of Progress integrated over Time being Zero.

/ Slip Clutch/Gear Box Spline Problem #25  
SPYDERLK
Here's what the parts catalog shows be it a ""down or up grade"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be sure to closely inspect parts keys 4 & 11.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    38 KB · Views: 83
  • WP9169_________UN28AUG09.gif
    WP9169_________UN28AUG09.gif
    23.2 KB · Views: 85
   / Slip Clutch/Gear Box Spline Problem #26  
SPYDERLK
Here's what the parts catalog shows be it a ""down or up grade"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be sure to closely inspect parts keys 4 & 11.
Without a close inspection of 13 and the spline shaft were still nowhere.

,,, Soley from the picture Id say its a downgrade because it looks as if 13 is not clamped by the bolt. Nor is there an apparent grease fitting on it by which to maintain and damp the, then floating, joint.

/ Slip Clutch/Gear Box Spline Problem #27  
Without a close inspection of 13 and the spline shaft were still nowhere.

,,, Soley from the picture Id say its a downgrade because it looks as if 13 is not clamped by the bolt. Nor is there an apparent grease fitting on it by which to maintain and damp the, then floating, joint.

I fail to see the need for the clamping action you suggest. The tapered pin utilized on earlier serial number cutters didn't clamp the spline input shaft nor is the yoke that slips on tractor pto shaft "clamped on" either. So why does this slip clutch need to be clamped on??

/ Slip Clutch/Gear Box Spline Problem #28  
I fail to see the need for the clamping action you suggest. The tapered pin utilized on earlier serial number cutters didn't clamp the spline input shaft nor is the yoke that slips on tractor pto shaft "clamped on" either. So why does this slip clutch need to be clamped on??
I talked about this in an earlier post as linked below.
,,, A taper pin setup is nominally set up to jam joint components so they dont move -- not a clamping action per-se', but at least prevents the constant motion that displaces any protective lubricant and promotes corrosion and wear in a joint that is permanent/not maintained.

OK. ... The female spline just slips over the male and cannot escape because of the bolt in the shaft groove. This is identical to the connections I often see on the tractor PTO stub - the old push button style. The spring loaded pin operated by the button does the same thing as your bolt. TOTALLY trouble free in my experience, but on the tractor and on the 6 spline 540 pto stub. Your situation is worse in several ways:

,,,1] The coupling is on the implement and bushogs can jump around a lot, all impulse coming thru the gearbox,

,,,2] The slip clutch presents an overhung load on the coupled joint,

,,,3] The floating joint is free to move and wear,

,,,4] You have a fine spline [presumed the std 1-3/8 X 21 tooth used for 1000rpm?]

Altho the 1000 rpm is great for transmitting a lot of power the use of fine spline is unfortunate in that they cant put up with much wear and still work optimally. ... And your case of a floating [not clamped] fine spline supporting overhung loading in the face of some vicious vibration is all bad.
,,,If your MX10 is the same as others, and your use is typical, then why dont they all show what youre seeing?
:confused3: MAYBE that shaft is bent a little. ... also, from your bolt pic, the bolt wear is quite close to the threads and their small root is vulnerable to notch failure. A longer shank with just enuf thread to tighten the nut would be more durable. Also, using the largest bolt that will pass thru would be an improvement.
Elsewhere in the thread OP mentions replacement of the splined socket to correct play that had developed.
,,,My 53 yr old JD 127 Gyramor has a rigidly attached slip clutch. The bushog has been used long and hard and no attention to the slip clutch other than adjustment/preload has been needed.
larry

Last edited:
   / Slip Clutch/Gear Box Spline Problem #29  
Your JD 127 was built along time ago and I fail to see the slip clutch similarities to a MX10. I've seen a lot of slip clutches that aren't clamped to the gear box input shaft.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    77.2 KB · Views: 92
   / Slip Clutch/Gear Box Spline Problem #30  
Your JD 127 was built along time ago and I fail to see the slip clutch similarities to a MX10. I've seen a lot of slip clutches that aren't clamped to the gear box input shaft.
If you do, then they have undergone a design downgrade in that area. If I had one floating like that Id install a grease fitting and pump NLGI#3 or 4 into it every few hrs of use and for storage. ... Same for a shear bolt shaft/socket combo.