Slip Clutch/Gear Box Spline Problem

/ Slip Clutch/Gear Box Spline Problem #31  
If you do, then they have undergone a design downgrade in that area. If I had one floating like that Id install a grease fitting and pump NLGI#3 or 4 into it every few hrs of use and for storage. ... Same for a shear bolt shaft/socket combo.

I will guarantee you one thing that if you ever need to replace the clutch linings on your JD 127 Gyra-mor you'll wish the slip clutch hub wasn't so ""WELL ATTACHED"" to the gearbox input shaft!!!!!!!!!!! You can take that statement to the bank. May I please inquire as to where you got your engineering degree?

/ Slip Clutch/Gear Box Spline Problem #32  
I will guarantee you one thing that if you ever need to replace the clutch linings on your JD 127 Gyra-mor you'll wish the slip clutch hub wasn't so ""WELL ATTACHED"" to the gearbox input shaft!!!!!!!!!!! You can take that statement to the bank. May I please inquire as to where you got your engineering degree?
Yeah. I got tools tho.
,,,Georgia Tech ... Physics

/ Slip Clutch/Gear Box Spline Problem #33  
Yeah. I got tools tho.
,,,Georgia Tech ... Physics

You'll need a lot of tools plus an acetylene torch with a rosebud tip to remove the slip clutch assembly from a JD 127. I'm glad you graduated from Ga Tech because you'll need all the knowledge/experience you can muster.

/ Slip Clutch/Gear Box Spline Problem #34  
You'll need a lot of tools plus an acetylene torch with a rosebud tip to remove the slip clutch assembly from a JD 127. I'm glad you graduated from Ga Tech because you'll need all the knowledge/experience you can muster.
I am not overly intimidated:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/337090-importance-spring-bush-hog-slip.html
... I dont think Ill ever have to do it tho. The HELLo iv put it thru indicates that the system was very well designed. I keep the clutch adjusted tight enuf to stall the tractor its on ... so no undetected long term slipping.
larry

/ Slip Clutch/Gear Box Spline Problem
I wanted to thank everyone who responded with ideas regarding my problem. The JD engineer did call the guy helping me with repairs and basically said all the things so many of you mentioned. We did all the things that were mentioned and the problem has seemed to have been solved. We bought 5 new bolts. Put first one on and checked the "wearing" after 5 hours of operation and had just a small amount of wear. Put in a new bolt and checked at 10 hours. Kept doing that until 20 hours and same amount of wearing, very small wear marks. Everything good.
One thing we discovered was right in the middle of the telescoping portion was a grease fitting that was broken off. It was hidden behind the protective plastic. We had not been putting grease there because in was broken and we did not see it. The plastic has to be line up perfectly in order to see it.
Thanks again for your time, comments and thoughts. No doubt your ideas that I communicated to repair guys helped fix the problem.

/ Slip Clutch/Gear Box Spline Problem #36  
I am not overly intimidated:
The HELLo iv put it thru indicates that the system was very well designed. I keep the clutch adjusted tight enuf to stall the tractor its on ... so no undetected long term slipping.
larry

Larry
One doesn't have to be intimidated to follow manufacturers recommendations!
Keeping slip clutch tight enough to stall the tractors engine defeats the purpose of a slip-clutch. Slip should be loosened and slipped at the beginning of season and then re-tightened to spec's. I hope you don't hit something hard enough to twist/mangle your cutter driveline.
Jim

/ Slip Clutch/Gear Box Spline Problem #37  
Larry
One doesn't have to be intimidated to follow manufacturers recommendations!
Keeping slip clutch tight enough to stall the tractors engine defeats the purpose of a slip-clutch. Slip should be loosened and slipped at the beginning of season and then re-tightened to spec's. I hope you don't hit something hard enough to twist/mangle your cutter driveline.
Jim
The hog doesnt stall the tractor abruptly. Its a graceful stall not a "chop". There is slippage. I wouldnt do that on the 7520 ... too much engine for a 5' hog - even one built with a 125HP gearbox. -- Crazy on a 650# hog.

It worked fine on the JD2010 adjusted that way for 30 some yrs. Since then weve used it on the L Kubs. We use it hard regularly and I think it self maintains by microslipping with impacts. I apply grease to its fitting regularly, and make adjustment only when slipping becomes notable. ~ 3 times over the years. ... It needs a little tightening now.
,,,larry