Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll over?

/ Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll over? #131  
This is Canton Ave. in Pittsburgh. It's one of the steepest roads in the world. I've driven it a couple times in our car. It gives me the creeps. It's listed as a 37% grade which is about 20 degrees. Now considering a Power Trac slope mower is rated at 45 degrees.... YIKES!!! :laughing:

top-10-us-steepest-street.jpg

CantonAve_Top.jpg

/ Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll over? #132  
Just remember one sine = opp/hyp

I have a sign on a high post in use at my driveway,

Bruce

/ Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll over? #134  
There is a street in Harrison Ar. that looks kind of like that middle picture, but I believe yours has it beat.

The last slope in my driveway is uncomfortable to walk down. One reason is that it is gravel, and the fear of slipping in pretty great. I have never seen a two wheel drive truck that can start on it. A two wheel drive front wheel drive car with traction lock might be able to, but will sure dig a lot of holes. I know, I fill the holes all the time from people coming up the drive too slow.

/ Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll over? #135  
Has anyone ever investigated a roll over accident and discovered a rear tire flat?

Another thought. Does the torque of the pto shaft play a role in turning a tractor over when mowing in a particular direction?

Had an uncle that worked for several years mowing right of way for the power company. Every rollover he had was due to flats. They learned quickly not to put fluid in the tires because that caused them to be less pliable and let the sharp stumps and limbs they were creating puncture the tires more easily. They found that big fat tires, low pressure and no fluid was the best way to go, especially mowing the really crazy stuff they had to mow.

/ Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll over? #136  
There is a street in Harrison Ar. that looks kind of like that middle picture, but I believe yours has it beat.

The last slope in my driveway is uncomfortable to walk down. One reason is that it is gravel, and the fear of slipping in pretty great. I have never seen a two wheel drive truck that can start on it. A two wheel drive front wheel drive car with traction lock might be able to, but will sure dig a lot of holes. I know, I fill the holes all the time from people coming up the drive too slow.

I have a stretch in my driveway that is the same. If you don't hit it with a head of steam you won't get up it with 2wd. When I put new tires on the 3000 I went down it one time before the tires were loaded. That was more than enough for me! Wheeeeeeee!!!!

/ Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll over? #137  
I have a stretch in my driveway that is the same. If you don't hit it with a head of steam you won't get up it with 2wd. When I put new tires on the 3000 I went down it one time before the tires were loaded. That was more than enough for me! Wheeeeeeee!!!!

Did you have a good time, trying to keep it between the ditches? Lots of fun. I did it a couple of times when I had the little Kubota B7500. I had been using 4WD but switched to 2WD up on the driveway (asphalt) and forgot to put in back in 4 wheel going down with a load in the bucket.. Oh boy.. was that ever fun... whoooo hooo..

/ Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll over? #138  
Why are people cutting grass on a steep slope do you all hate tall grass that much?

/ Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll over? #139  
Never really got an answer regarding tractor stability with a brush hog attached. Again on my tractor the brush hog is a bit oversized for the tractor. With the weight of that on the three point very low to ground I would think it would increase stability ( more weight lower than most ballast boxes ). What am I missing in this equation?

/ Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll over? #140  
I thought the world steepest hill would have resulted in some kind of really cool bike pile up.