Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp?

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #12  
Better torque, use less fuel, I have NO cold weather starting problems with mine, nor have I had any problems with them as they age (of course I'm not running deeres either lol) Fuel last longer, I have ZERO problems keeping it for extended amounts of time. The list goes on and on...

I have numerous gas and diesel tractors, and engines, the diesels have been better for me in every way...

I would NOT buy a gas tractor if they offered it, I also do not have any diesels that need re-gen ect... No need to, the ones that I have will last me until I take my eternal dirt nap!

SR

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #13  
There's plenty of old industrial gas engines around. Certainly lots of gas tractors between 30-60 HP. And of course the 4 cylinder Wisconsin engines in skid steers and fork lifts. And there's lots of 6 cylinder Ford 300s still working. I've used one on a big scary Vermeer 1600a wood chipper. I'm not positive, but I'd guess it was tuned somewhere around 60hp. It was carbureted and liked gas, but it would work hard all day at 27-2800 RPM.

Wasn't there quite a bit of torque on those old Ford 300 engines? Large rotating mass and all of that. Would seem like a good match for a chipper.

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #14  
Wasn't there quite a bit of torque on those old Ford 300 engines? Large rotating mass and all of that. Would seem like a good match for a chipper.

Yes sir, very torquey down to about 17-1800 rpms, although the numbers I've seen are for truck applications, so an industrial motor might be different. The one in my truck makes 260 lb-ft at 2000 RPM.

It was a good power plant for a chipper that put fear in your heart. It would chip material up to about 8" in diameter and 8' long as fast as you could blink. Then it had to build RPM again. It was nice listening to that carbed gas motor running full throttle.

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #15  
Why is a Tier IV diesel better than a 2015 Fuel injected or direct injected gas? How much does diesel and gasoline cost where you reside? Do gasoline engines have cold weather starting problems or jelled fuel filters? How economical is your diesel when the emissions equipment requires service after the warranty has expired?

I'll let my diesel tractor sit for 4 years with a full tank of fuel. You get a gas tractor and do the same. Let's see who has more problems when we turn the key.

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #16  
Why is a Tier IV diesel better than a 2015 Fuel injected or direct injected gas? How much does diesel and gasoline cost where you reside? Do gasoline engines have cold weather starting problems or jelled fuel filters? How economical is your diesel when the emissions equipment requires service after the warranty has expired?
More toque and better fuel economy. Gas $1,68 diesel $1,85. I don't have weather cold enough to jell either fuel. I don't have any of the emissions **** My F series Kubota has a 25 hp diesel and a 60" deck. My Dixie chopper has a 25 hp Kohler and a 50" deck. The Kubota cuts any grass you can get under the deck. The gasser with 10" less deck has to be treated gently to avoid stalling. Not even close to the same power output. The diesel burns 1/4 as much fuel. Some of my Diesel engines sit the better part of the year unused with untreated fuel and no problems. Let's see you try with gas. I'll even let you use ethanol free gas ( which cost more per gallon than diesel). Why don't over the road trucks use the fuel injected gassers that are so good? Maybe because they don't have any toque and get 2 mpg? When over the road trucks convert to gas you might have a case. Until then quit trolling threads. You aren't going to convince us of the gassers are as good nonsense. Gas motors are cheaper, but there is nothing better about them. Why don't you go buy a fuel Injected tractor and see how it works.

Last edited:
   / Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #17  
Better torque, use less fuel, I have NO cold weather starting problems with mine, nor have I had any problems with them as they age (of course I'm not running deeres either lol) Fuel last longer, I have ZERO problems keeping it for extended amounts of time. The list goes on and on...

I have numerous gas and diesel tractors, and engines, the diesels have been better for me in every way...

I would NOT buy a gas tractor if they offered it, I also do not have any diesels that need re-gen ect... No need to, the ones that I have will last me until I take my eternal dirt nap!

SR

Compare 2015 gasoline to 2015 diesel engines and 2015 fuel costs and get back to us.
Better torque? back in the day the natural aspirated for tractor engines vs the same displacement natural aspirated diesels had more torque and HP than the diesels per cubic inch.
Are you not familiar with 2015 diesels with Tier IV emissions and 2015 fuel injected or port injected gassers? Or have you living in a cave since 1985 ?

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #18  
Why don't over the road trucks use these gas motors that are so good?

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #19  
Why don't you answer my question and quit trolling threads?

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #20  
The diesel in question will blow way the gas in question. It is a Kohler commercial V-twin. The rating is probably pretty close. Both motors are rated for 25 hp. If you swap the motors the diesel powered one will still cut more grass. I'd put the 17 hp diesel in the B7100 up against the 25 hp Kohler. A agree gas motors are better in cars and light trucks as long as light truck stops at 3/4 ton. As far as I am concerned a tractor is heavy duty application. You keep going back to the heavy duty VS light duty. If a diesel is meant for heavy duty does that mean you admitted a diesel is better? Most highway vehicle are gas because gas engines are way cheaper upfront. I have already explained toque and HP. Why don't over the road trucks use gas? Natural gas is not yet a practical option regardless of how good or bad it is.

Last edited: