Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp?

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #32  
The best part of Diesel is I don't have to store gas in the barn.:thumbdown: And I just loooove the smell of Diesel in the morning.:)

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #33  
The best part of Diesel is I don't have to store gas in the barn.:thumbdown: And I just loooove the smell of Diesel in the morning.:)
Who doesn't like the smell of diesel, and to blow some black smoke?

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #34  
Why is a Tier IV diesel better than a 2015 Fuel injected or direct injected gas?
How much does diesel and gasoline cost where you reside?
Do gasoline engines have cold weather starting problems or jelled fuel filters?
How economical is your diesel when the emissions equipment requires service after the warranty has expired?

Why are you trying to start yet another gas versus diesel argument in a thread that isn't about that topic? You do recall that the last one along those lines got closed, don't you?

This is simply about why they don't make many gasoline engines from 30-50hp, not a debate about gasoline versus diesel.

People can argue all they want, but manufacturers aren't building gas engines in that size because they must not see a large enough market for them to make a profit....period. If they felt they could make enough money selling them, they would.

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #37  
EPA took that fun away. In Ontario there is a 1-800 snitch line to rat out drivers rolling coal.
My Kubota can still do it. The old 7.3 ford can still do it. The old army truck is real good at it. The EPA hasn't taken all of my fun away. Just because you can't buy a good diesel and are obviously jealous doesn't mean I can't have one.

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #38  
I did a little checking and surprised myself. I was wrong. Indeed, the older tractors with gas and diesel engines of similar displacements had the same maximum RPM and delivered similar peak horsepower. All I can infer from that is that they had the same torque at max RPM which would translate to having the same BMEP. With the marked difference in compression ratio, it seems that the only way that could happen is if the diesel fuel supply was restricted to run leaner and limit the power. Maybe this makes sense since the frame and drivetrain were designed for a certain HP and perhaps the manufacturers figured that if you were in the market for a 50 hp tractor, that's all you needed and the diesel selling point was the greater fuel economy.

/ Small gasoline engines 30-50 hp? #40  
I did a little checking and surprised myself. I was wrong. Indeed, the older tractors with gas and diesel engines of similar displacements had the same maximum RPM and delivered similar peak horsepower. All I can infer from that is that they had the same torque at max RPM which would translate to having the same BMEP. With the marked difference in compression ratio, it seems that the only way that could happen is if the diesel fuel supply was restricted to run leaner and limit the power. Maybe this makes sense since the frame and drivetrain were designed for a certain HP and perhaps the manufacturers figured that if you were in the market for a 50 hp tractor, that's all you needed and the diesel selling point was the greater fuel economy.

The JD 404 was pretty topped out at that HP level. It could be dialed up for a few more HP but the fuel per HP per hour rises faster than the HP.
Similar numbers were also seen in the 5.7 Olds diesel, the 6.2 Chev diesel NA & 6.5 Chev diesel NA.
Ball park number for a conventional NA diesel is about 1/4 HP per cubic inch at 1800rpm.