Comparison Smallest compact tractor for lifting full size round bales with FEL

/ Smallest compact tractor for lifting full size round bales with FEL #21  
The loader on the Kioti DK series (KL401) lifts about 300 hundred more pounds than the Kubota LA8xx series loaders, but the Kubota loaders have about 500 lbs more curl/breakout strength (measurements at the pins) ... overall their designs are very similar (cylinder size, hyd. pressure, hyd flow, basic geometry, etc.), so it's not rocket science to figure their capabilities are generally comparable.

I have lifted and carried a big round bale with my Kubota loader, but it wasn't fun and I wouldn't recommend either of these tractors (or similar models of other makes) for such chores on any kind of regular basis. The issue is not loader strength, it's tractor stability. We had a 2,000+ lb backhoe on the tractor, so the back end was firmly planted, but there were plenty of warnings that sideways stability was not something to be taken for granted. The "compact" footprint of these tractors leaves no margin for safety, so any uneven terrain, potholes, slightly low tire pressure, soft ground, unbalanced loading of a bale, careless operation, or whatever, can put the situation out of control. For routine, safe large bale handling, you want a bigger tractor.

/ Smallest compact tractor for lifting full size round bales with FEL #22  
The loader on the Kioti DK series (KL401) lifts about 300 hundred more pounds than the Kubota LA8xx series loaders, but the Kubota loaders have about 500 lbs more curl/breakout strength (measurements at the pins) ... overall their designs are very similar (cylinder size, hyd. pressure, hyd flow, basic geometry, etc.), so it's not rocket science to figure their capabilities are generally comparable.

I have lifted and carried a big round bale with my Kubota loader, but it wasn't fun and I wouldn't recommend either of these tractors (or similar models of other makes) for such chores on any kind of regular basis. The issue is not loader strength, it's tractor stability. We had a 2,000+ lb backhoe on the tractor, so the back end was firmly planted, but there were plenty of warnings that sideways stability was not something to be taken for granted. The "compact" footprint of these tractors leaves no margin for safety, so any uneven terrain, potholes, slightly low tire pressure, soft ground, unbalanced loading of a bale, careless operation, or whatever, can put the situation out of control. For routine, safe large bale handling, you want a bigger tractor.

Very...VERY well stated :thumbsup:

/ Smallest compact tractor for lifting full size round bales with FEL #23  

You need weight which the Kioti has that also. I have Loaded tires and either my Land Plane on back or my chipper shredder and I will lift over 2400 easily.

/ Smallest compact tractor for lifting full size round bales with FEL #24  
   / Smallest compact tractor for lifting full size round bales with FEL #25  
I looked at Kioti DK 40's but ended up with a Kubota M6040, for the reason of stability with big round bales. I can move them with no ballast on the back, just loaded R4's. I like the hydraulic shuttle shift. Yes, a HST would be more efficient for loader work, but the bigger tractors normally have bigger buckets, so you can move more with each scoop compared to a CUT.

With telescoping draft link ends I can hook up the rotary cutter in literally two minutes. I don't see how it would even be possible to hook up without them!

/ Smallest compact tractor for lifting full size round bales with FEL #26  
I looked at Kioti DK 40's but ended up with a Kubota M6040, for the reason of stability with big round bales. I can move them with no ballast on the back, just loaded R4's. I like the hydraulic shuttle shift. Yes, a HST would be more efficient for loader work, but the bigger tractors normally have bigger buckets, so you can move more with each scoop compared to a CUT.

With telescoping draft link ends I can hook up the rotary cutter in literally two minutes. I don't see how it would even be possible to hook up without them!

Sounds like you can actually HANDLE round bales as opposed to just LIFT them. my jd4720 does a good job of lifting them, and carrying them around...a little. I handle maybe 100 bales a year with it is all, but I like something a little bigger for safely carrying them around on uneven ground and winter conditions. How bout a picture of your Kubota?

Attachments

• JD1.JPG
    JD1.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 827
   / Smallest compact tractor for lifting full size round bales with FEL #27  
Mahindra 5035HST or Mahindra 5010HST or 6010HST. The 5035 weighs a bit more than the 5010 or 6010. The 10 series lifts more weight though. The 5035 weighs about 1000lbs more than anything else in that class size. Sounds like you should have some stability and the tractor will lift over a ton at full height. Ballasted correctly and you will have a machine that weighs about 8000lbs.

Good luck in your search. ;)

/ Smallest compact tractor for lifting full size round bales with FEL #28  
You need weight which the Kioti has that also. I have Loaded tires and either my Land Plane on back or my chipper shredder and I will lift over 2400 easily.

Lifting ability is important, but so is stability... after you lift it, ya gotta drive around with it. Don't know how much your rig weighs; I was somewhere close to 8,000 lbs., not counting the bale itself. But if there is 2,000 on the FEL, plus 1,400 for the FEL itself - 3,400 lbs - bouncing around somewhere out ahead of the front axle, which is on a pivot, it doesn't take much to throw things off balance in a bad way. Full size ute with wider and longer footprint seems way more secure platform for big bales.

/ Smallest compact tractor for lifting full size round bales with FEL #29  
I weigh in at 6500 and my FEL is connected to the middle of my tractor and I move with the bail as close to the ground as possible. He asked about a Compact not a Utility. I move 2000 lb skids all the time I have no problem what so ever with them.

/ Smallest compact tractor for lifting full size round bales with FEL #30  
Actually, the following question was asked: "Is it possible to do this without moving up to the larger M-series Kubota or the equivalent from the other makers?" He got a variety of opinions including yours and mine. Peace.