Comparison Smallest compact tractor for lifting full size round bales with FEL

/ Smallest compact tractor for lifting full size round bales with FEL #32  
I'm late to the party, but has anybody suggested a scissor-spear on the rear yet? Combined with a hydraulic tilt adjustment (or hydraulic top link), it'll give similar flexibility to an FEL without having to go to a much bigger tractor.

/ Smallest compact tractor for lifting full size round bales with FEL #33  
The OP doesn't mention the terrain of his property, just that it's a small farm. TomSeller is right that 2K lb is very heavy, especially in my neck of the woods.

I can honestly say that my 4105 with 300CX FEL bale spikes (+ ballast box) has no problem lifting, stacking, loading or transporting any of the round bales I have for my horses.

Mind you, the worst terrain I have is a gentle 2% upslope, other than that I'm flat.

That being said, my tractor (or similar) would seem to fit the bill.

/ Smallest compact tractor for lifting full size round bales with FEL #34  
2000 lb is an awfully heavy round bale. See chart on page 2.

http://www.caes.uga.edu/commodities/fieldcrops/forages/Ga_Cat_Arc/2012/SF1209.pdf

I don't roll them on the tight side, seems hard on the equipment.

You have to wonder if that was proofread:
If you asked most folks what their round bales weighed, they壇 probably tell you 1000
lbs. Why? Because that痴 what the guy that sold them the baler said. Afterall, the salesman
would lie, would he?

/ Smallest compact tractor for lifting full size round bales with FEL #35  
If dealing with the round bales is your only problem, have you considered keeping the L3400 and buying an older used full size ag utility tractor in the 60-100 HP range with loader already installed. It wouldn't even have to be 4WD to handle the bales and you'd have the flexibility of two tractors and the L3400's hydro and 4wd when you need it for not much if any more money than trading/upgrading your 2008 tractor.

As far as the chicken/egg thing, wouldn't that only apply to the first bale on load which you say you are pushing off?

I've currently got a 2008 Kubota L3400 HST which works great for most work around the my small farm, but one thing I hate is that its not heavy/strong enough to safely pick up full size round hay bales with a front mounted bale spear. Right now I have to take off whatever implement I'm using and put rear bale forks on to move around round bales. I also have to push round bales off of the trailer before I can pick them up rather than just spearing them with the FEL and lifting them off the trailer. To me this is a PITA. I'm looking to upgrade, but I'm not married to staying with Kubota. I have good JD, Kubota, Kioti, and Mahindra dealers in the area I can work with. Branson is another option I guess but the dealer for Branson hasn't stocked them for very long. My requirements are:

- Must be 4WD
- Must be available in HST trans (I do a lot of bucket work and even a shuttle/PST is not good enough)
- At least 40HP
- Must have FEL with quick detach option for skid steer style bale spear/pallet forks as well as bucket
- Must be heavy enough to pick up a bale off of a trailer with the FEL using a bale spear without already having a bale on the back to counterweight (chicken and egg problem)
- Must be strong enough to carry a full size bale on the FEL AND on the rear forks at the same time.

Is it possible to do this without moving up to the larger M-series Kubota or the equivalent from the other makers? What tractor would give me the best bang for the buck given all the above requirements?

Thanks,
Robert

/ Smallest compact tractor for lifting full size round bales with FEL #36  
have you considered keeping the L3400 and buying an older used full size ag utility tractor in the 60-100 HP range with loader already installed. It

Maybe get an old lifting machine for your bale lifting?

IHforklift.jpg

Or a used conventional forklift suitable for your terrain.

Bruce