Smallest tractor for posthole digger

/ Smallest tractor for posthole digger #1  

JohnFourteenSix

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 3032e, Bobcat T180, Mustang 3003
I'm selling my JD 3032e, I've replaced it with a skid steer + excavator setup, but I'd still like something small and maneuverable and can drive a posthole digger. What's the smallest/cheapest tractor I could get away with that would be able to power/lift it? I have the yellow TSC posthole digger. I've also thought about a hydraulic auger but the skid steer isn't as maneuverable as my tractor. Would a 1025r do it?

/ Smallest tractor for posthole digger #2  
Seriously think about that hydraulic auger some more. First time you sink it too fast or catch a rock/root and can just reverse the auger to free it will be worth the price.

/ Smallest tractor for posthole digger #3  
I think a good operator can compensate for reduced HP and 3PT lift with a small tractor. It'll just be less forgiving when you corkscrew it into the ground.

I'd be worried if a small tractor with a Cat 0 3-point hitch can lift your specific PHD high enough so the auger is above the ground and doesn't drag.
This may depend on how long the specific auger is.
PHD's don't use a top link, so there's little adjustment to be able to raise the PHD higher if the combination of tractor an PHD doesn't lift the auger high enough.
Does your TSC PHD have an adjustment where the PHD's yoke "arms" can connect into the PHD main beam at different locations, adjusting the PHD's lift height?

What skid steer isn't as maneuverable as your tractor?
...or conversely, what tractor is more maneuverable than a skid steer?

/ Smallest tractor for posthole digger #4  
Why don’t you put a post hole auger on the mini or the skid steer. The hydraulic augers are expensive but it would be way better than a 3pt one especially on a little tractor. The hydraulic auger has down force, reverse, and you’re looking at it sitting forward. I can’t imagine having a skid steer and buying a tractor to run a 3pt auger. 3pt augers are about $500 and a hydraulic one is about $2,000 but having to buy another tractor takes away any cost savings.

Last edited:
   / Smallest tractor for posthole digger #5  
I would never consider putting a Post Hole Auger on my JD2210.

/ Smallest tractor for posthole digger #6  
Buying a tractor to run a low dollar PHD that you happen to already own is exactly what popped up when I searched the term false economy. Sell your PHD and buy a hydraulic drive unit for your SSL.
Thank us all later.

/ Smallest tractor for posthole digger #7  
I have used a PHD on my Kubota B7100. I dug 4 - 12" holes for old power poles to build a raised platform onto. As others have said be careful of the amount of depth before you allow it to clear itself.

Attachments

• KIMG0242.jpg
    KIMG0242.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 183
   / Smallest tractor for posthole digger
I'll be getting the SSL today, it seemed larger than the tractor width-wise, but it might just be because it's more boxy rather than the long tractor. I'm mostly transplanting 1gal containers and I'm working around already-planted seedlings. I've found the tractor more maneuverable, I'm unsure about the SSL, but we'll see.

Sounds like everyone's saying to just ditch the tractor and go with SSL all the way. I still miss the way a tractor rides, though, and the ease of starting it up if I just want to get something from point to point. Hopping on the tractor is far easier than climbing into a SSL.

/ Smallest tractor for posthole digger #9  
whats your main concern? small and compact or least expensive?

/ Smallest tractor for posthole digger
The SSL (actually a CTL) arrived today. It is actually around the same size as the tractor, so I think I'll just use a PHD mounted on the SSL, or at least get a tractor without consideration for using the PHD.

I already got it stuck!