Smallest tractor for posthole digger

/ Smallest tractor for posthole digger #11  
OP, fwiw, another data point: I've dug dozens of post holes over the years in everything from hardpan (not fun) to soft soil with a TSC PHD and 9" auger using my Kubota B2150HST. 18 hp at the PTO. That's always been more than enough power for me.

/ Smallest tractor for posthole digger #12  
The physical size and weight of the tractor and 3 point hitch geometry of most sub compact tractors make a 3 point hitch PHD challenging or impossible to use. Power isn’t the limiting factor.

/ Smallest tractor for posthole digger #13  
The physical size and weight of the tractor and 3 point hitch geometry of most sub compact tractors make a 3 point hitch PHD challenging or impossible to use. Power isn稚 the limiting factor.

And those are exactly the same problems I had using a 3pt post hole digger with a compact size tractor as well. All of the things that one likes about a 35 hp compact tractor that make it stable and convenient make it not work well for a 3pt PHD. For a post hole digger you want an engine with a lot of flywheel effect so that you can run the PTO at very low speed without stalling the engine. Safer, too. And at low speed you get stuck less. Sticking the auger with a 3pt PHD is a real problem. One way you get out of that problem is to have a heavy tractor with some serious 3pt hitch lifting power.

When I put the 3pt post hold digger on my old John Deere B with a category II 3pt hitch everything worked together wonderfully. That tall heavy ag-type tractor - putting out maybe 20 honest hp at an idle - would work the post hold digger just fine. It has a powerful 3pt hitch with a lot of lift height. You need a lot of lift height.
Utility tractors are built to be low to the ground and because of that they won't have a 3pt that will lift the post hold digger high enough. A taller heavier tractor Ag type tractor with a category II 3pt hitch is perfect.
The good news is that older tall heavy 2wd medium size ag tractors with category II 3pts are probably the best deal on the tractor market today. A thousand $$ or maybe two will buy you a whole lot of that type tractor. You can afford to have a nice dedicated post hole drilling tractor for way less than the price of a hydraulic auger for the SS. That leaves you enough money to buy a decent auger bit for the 3pt PHD. Good bits cost more than the rest of the PHD.

I know you can because I did it that way. And I ended up buying 3 auger bits for it , too... for different diameter holes & because of rocks.
I also found out that in larger sizes, it's worthwhile to get a more expensive auger bit with replaceable hard teeth.

But having done all this, I'd also say that if you need to do many holes, and can possibly scrape up the money.....then you would be better off to get a hydraulic PHD for the SS. Being able to reverse the auger is a huge advantage.
rScotty

/ Smallest tractor for posthole digger #14  
The physical size and weight of the tractor and 3 point hitch geometry of most sub compact tractors make a 3 point hitch PHD challenging or impossible to use. Power isn稚 the limiting factor.

Exactly!
People dig a lot of post holes with these. They don't have a lot of horsepower, and the "lifting capacity" is based on what you ate for breakfast.
PHD.jpg

This type of TSC PHD has adjustment holes where the yoke connects to the main beam that makes it raise higher & suitable for smaller tractors:
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/421220-smallest-tractor-posthole-digger-2.html

/ Smallest tractor for posthole digger #15  
Some of the concerns stated above is what brought about our Land Shark Subcompact Post Hole Digger by EA. The geometry is optimal and the quality is just as good as our models for larger tractors.
Most PHDs by EA ship to your home via FedEx Ground.
Travis

This pic shows the difference..

compareFINALs.jpg

This video shows our Land Shark digger in action on our Kubota B and BX series tractors.

/ Smallest tractor for posthole digger #16  
What's the length of the auger?? Looks considerably shorter than the first pic.

/ Smallest tractor for posthole digger #17  
I used mine with a little 15 HP Bolens - had to watch how fast it went down,
but it worked ok = the 3 speed pto that could be stopped by pushing in the
clutch helped - I don't like the electric ptos, there needs to be a way to
feather them in gradually so it doesn't start so violently
G152.jpg

/ Smallest tractor for posthole digger #18  
Around here, you would end up digging too much by hand, just to get the hole deep enough.

SR

/ Smallest tractor for posthole digger #19  
What's the length of the auger?? Looks considerably shorter than the first pic.

It does look that way, until you start counting the auger's spirals and looking at their spacing, then it looks the same. (???)
Maybe the guard over the auger's mounting and shear bolts, and the reduced curve of the main beam gives the auger a shorter appearance?

Edit: On 2nd look, the Land Shark almost look like it has "double helix" screws instead of single like the yellow one..

/ Smallest tractor for posthole digger #20  
It does look that way, until you start counting the auger's spirals and looking at their spacing, then it looks the same. (???)
Maybe the guard over the auger's mounting and shear bolts, and the reduced curve of the main beam gives the auger a shorter appearance?

Look at the top of the augers in relationship to the tractor seat. At least a foot difference in auger length. As Rob said, you'd have to finish the hole by hand.

If you put the long auger on it'll be dragging the ground during transport. Their claim of 24" auger clearance during transport is wayyyyy off. As is their claim of 12" auger clearance with a 48" auger.