smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor

/ smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor #11  
Nice thread and must say for me this works best! Plus it solves the His and Hers problem and she mows the grass! What more could a guy like me want???

Dean
Solution

/ smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor #12  
<font color="blue"> Is it smarter to have two seperate units, a lawn tractor to mow the lawn with, and a CUT for clearing my lot and general work, or is the MMM a better choice? </font>

aardvark,

There is not a "one size fits all" answer to your question. So much depends on how big a CUT you are planning on getting and how many mowing hours vs. non-mowing hours.

If you plan on the majority of the hours to be doing work where the MMM will be in the way then a separate riding mower is a good choice. Taking the MMM on and off frequently may become an inconvenience for decks that are designed to go on and off easily or a real pain in the butt for those that don't (keep in mind that you do not necessarily need to remove the MMM to do other work)

But if the majority of the hours are mowing, a MMM on the CUT may be a good choice. With a MMM you will get better utilization out of your CUT (better to use it then let it sit) and you won't have another piece of equipment with engine, etc to maintain and fuel.

The smaller CUTs are very maneuverable but not like a small lawn mower. If you have a lot of tight areas to mow then the CUT may be a disadvantage. If you have mostly open space mowing with the CUT with its large tires and wheel base can be more comfortable.

I mowed for years using a JD755 (small frame CUT, 60"MMM) and had no problems on 1.5 acres of lawn and 2.5 acres of pasture. I had very little trimming to do. I now mow with a JD 4310 (mid frame, 72"MMM) and still have very little trimming to do. The 4310 seems to turn a radius as tight as the 755. In my case, most of the tractor hours are mowing or doing other tasks where the mower is not in the way. When I need to do FEL work that demands better ground clearance, the MMM comes off easily (5 minutes). As this is infrequent (once or twice a month), it is not a problem.

In looking at the MMM price vs. the cost of a small lawn mower, you need to consider the quality and life span of what you are getting.

It really is a personal choice. By reading through the experiences of others, you can determine which best fits your circumstances.

Jeff

/ smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor #13  
I traded in and bought a larger tractor and a dedicated riding mower and have never regretted it. It is so much handier to just hop on and go rather than swapping implements for the one you need at the moment.

...and I'm hoping it lasts as long as a cubcut, but I payed quite a bit more for mine than the price of a MMM. I'm thinking both units will last longer if you measure in years because the hours won't all be going on one machine.

/ smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor #14  
Aardvark, It all depends what is going to be on you CUT, the size of you CUT and what kind of clearance you need. If you get something like a Kubota BX23 with backhoe and loader I would get the lawn tractor. If you get a small CUT with just a FEL and the FEL comes off fast and easy I would get the MMM. I have a tractor with a FEL and BH and a MMM on a smaller tractor and I am glad I don't have to remove the BH and add the 3-point hitch for a quick mow.

/ smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor
Here is my situation. My lot is a complete mess. The fellow I bought the house from last year basically let it go, for who knows how long. I used to be able to walk out of the house, go 25 feet away from the house in any given direction, and not be able to actually see the house. I could only see the roof. I'm not joking here either, that's how it was. I cleared by hand about 5000 sq ft total in the back yard, over a period of three months, before it got hot during the summer. Technically I don't have a lawn, but I do have about a 6000 sq ft "patch" of grass out in the front next to the road, but it's a far cry from a "yard". So I calculate I only have about 60,000 sq feet to go to finish clearing the rest of the property. And then install a sprinkler system, a driveway, etc.

I currently have one of the "free roadside Craftsman mowers", which I rebuilt the carburetor and am using. Granted, it's a piece of junk, and it requires fixing of some sort every other month. This mower is fine for now, but once the yard is done and I actually have a significant amount of lawn, I will need something more reliable.

I was planning on buying a BX23 (or equivalent), and with the mower deck I'm around $16400 (not done negotiating) before tax. I also looked breifly at a B7610, and it's only about $3000 more, for a much larger machine with about twice the loader capacity and the same implements (TLB and MMM). If I removed the MMM from each, the prices are about $2500 different. To me, the additional cost between the BX23 and B7610 isn't significant, because I tend to keep things forever. I don't trade in every few years, and I planning on keeping the tractor for as long as I can, regardless of whether I use it every day, or week, or not. Also, the 7610 is attractive to me, because I sell alot of stuff on ebay, and I ship alot of heavy items via freight companies. I could really use additional LA352 loader capacity for pallet forks and loading heavy items on a truck. Also the 7610 can take a quick change FEL mount for either a bucket or pallet forks and I suspect the BX is not set up for that. I suspect the BX23 would work great as a rider mower around the yard. I'm not sure the B7610 will be maneuverable enough though, but I could be wrong, and that's why I was asking.

I think what I will do, is if I get the BX23, I'll buy the MMM. With the B7610, I will wait on a MMM unitl I actually have enough usable yard to justify mowing it with a bigger machine than the "free rider", and make the MMM vs lawn tractor decision at that time.

/ smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor #16  
Sounds like the next question should be "What size brush hog should I buy..." /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

By the way...a member here named FRED has a B2400 with MMM that seems to do a fine job on his lawn...and he has more of a lawn than a yard like I do. I was impressed when I saw the lawn actually.

By the way, you can get clamp-on bucket forks for the bx if you decide to go that way. They work pretty good, but not as good as forks that replace the bucket. Hard to see through the bucket... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

So if you go with the B7610 and MMM chances are it will work well for you. As would the smaller BX or course... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor #17  
Jared...

Sounds like a larger CUT better meets your overall needs...
...go for it...

For 2 acres of mowing... many lawn-tractors/garden-tractors/other mowin' machines/mower-decks can do it...
New or used...

For me... I found I didn't like taking a deck off/on a CUT every week to mow ~ 2 acres... even a 3-point-hitch deck... ...nevermind the loader... and not be able to fit in everywhere...

Buying used garden tractors just for mowing... and pulling a cart... maybe some winter duty... is a good solution for me...

It's a nice extra having a 2nd small tractor around... especially when 2 of us can be worin' at the same time...

Dave...

/ smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor #18  
<font color="blue"> </font> I agree with Egon! And seeing that you are only dealing with 2 acres, my GUESS is that you will end up with a tractor that will be relatively on the small side.

<font color="black"> </font> Yea, the MMMs are expensive $1500.00+, but the second machine for yard mowing will cost at least $1,500 as you stated for a (half-decent or low-end) for a lawn tractor in the 14-16hp range with a 42-46 inch deck to handle 2 acres.

Another cost less talked about is maintenance. I believe the cost to upkeep the MMM will be far less over its life than a second machine dedicted to mowing.

I'm not sure what kind lot clearing is required but sometimes it is faster/cheaper to hire a dozer to perform that type of work while a CUT or SCUT will handle mowing and general landscaping work easily.

If you decide to buy a CUT, SCUT and/or lawn tractor:GET A BRAND NAME THAT IS COMMON AND THAT IS REPRESENTED BY A SERVICING DEALER IN YOUR AREA. You can't stress enough the two words service and dealer (a franchised new-equipment dealer with a fully equipped shop, inventory of common parts, and a staff of skilled, factory trained mechanics).

/ smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor #19  
I was going over the same issue last year when I bought my 7800. I decided to go with the MMM. It gives a great cut, plus I paid alot of money for this tractor and love to get seat time in on it. Very rarely do I ever have to take the mower deck off and when I do it only takes 5 or 10 minutes. This way you only have to store one machine, service one machine and your expensive tractor isn't setting in the shed while you are using a cheaper machine. If I would have stepped up to the L series then I would probably went with separate machines. I can maneuver around things quite easily, so that really isn't a problem. Good luck.

/ smarter to buy CUT and MMM or CUT and lawn tractor #20  
I had/have the same issues. Currently I run a B7800 with a brushcutter and a lawn mower. I have a mid-PTO and was looking to use the MMM, but the size of the tractor is too big.

The lawn mower does the job on the lawn just fine. I may look at a 1800 series when it dies. The B7800 will be relegated to field work only. I may ditch the hog and buy a RFM for it instead.

Funny how you hack at something long enough and grass starts taking over..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike Z.