Snow blower width

/ Snow blower width #11  
Seen a graet deal on a 5 ' but thoght it was too small.
Thanks.

Get the great deal on 60" and add "wings" to each side!

I added them to my 51" to a total width of 63" and it works great (dare I say even better than stock?)

/ Snow blower width #13  

Attachments

• Snow Blower Wings - 4.jpg
    Snow Blower Wings - 4.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 391
   / Snow blower width #14  
that may be a 'qualified' myth, Will... years ago I had a Bolens 1050 with a 36" single stage blower on the front. Even in 1st gear low range, I was riding the clutch a lot in heavy snow... HST would have been nice.
You could argue a Bolens 1050 is not a real tractor, I suppose... but it did a lot of work for me the 28 years I had it.

Pete

I love tjose older garden tractors. I wish they were stillbuilt like that. Dad had an MF 12, then a Ford LGT165.

/ Snow blower width #18  
It is no Myth!
A Hydro transmission has infinite speeds so you can feed the snow blower into the snow as fast or slow as the engine HP allows. Gear transmissions do not allow this so when you encounter extreme conditions (heavy deep snow) excessive use of the clutch is needed to avoid stalling.
I live in New England and my 28hp (24 PTO) 1720 Ford SSS with 12 forward & reverse gears would frequently run out of power even in 1st gear using a 64” snow blower. Constant use of the clutch was necessary to prevent stalling the engine. I would consider this abuse of the clutch.
Just to clarify my tractor is not running poorly. I eventually I installed a turbo and the increased HP which solved my problems.
A smaller Hydrostatic Ford tractor using the same snow blower handled it with no problems. Ground speed is the key to proper operation.
Correct me if I’m wrong but a power shuttle still uses forward & reverse clutches and are still wear prone.
Based on my personal experience with up to 12~18 inches per storm and snow banks that are 24~36 inches high I would agree that a (minimum) of 5 preferably more are required per foot of width.
As for width 4 to 6" wider than the tractor is the minimum.
90cummins

/ Snow blower width #20  
Not to hi-jack this thread but "Doxford Jim" where can one buy the "extension wings" like you have.................. the yellow ones look like perfect size to expand my 30 + year old J.D. 666 snow blower (looks similar to yours).

Carl (Thanks so much)!

Attachments

• DSC01318.jpg
    DSC01318.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 388
  • DSC01320.jpg
    DSC01320.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 298