Snow blower width

/ Snow blower width #21  
Hi Carl,

I just went to a metal fabricator and explained what I wanted. He made them to my measurements and was charged $40 IIRC for two. I then took them home and clamped them where I wanted to fit them, drilled and put in bolts. I painted them myself usinga can of spray paint.
They work well and leave a nice clean edge to the snow bank. I have had four wings made - one got bent backwards (large piece of frozen ice that wouoldn't move) and was replaced with a spare. I have one more spare if I need it.
My wings give me another 9 inches of effective width - from 73" to 81"/82". For me an ideal sized blower would be around 86" or so, but I am not sure what sizes are made. Definitely need at least eight inches wider than the outside measurement of the rear wheels, for decent performance.

HTH

/ Snow blower width #22  
Jim,

Thanks much for the reply. My snow blower is 35 years old and I suspect "wings" were available for it since it came pre-drilled. I remember thinking about it back then but it fit my Int'l 444 tread width Ok. But, now I have 17.5" tires on my L4610 and it really needs another 8" or 9" or more as you say. Fabricating those "wings" even with 3/16" plate steel would take a good size metal brake. I need to find one of the current production snow blowers that is similar to mine and has about 30" vertical height and offers for sale a set of "wings". Thanks again.

Carl

/ Snow blower width #23  
Carl,

My snowblower height is around 33" IIRC and the metal thickness is 0.110" or around 11 gauge mild steel.The offset I used works out to 4.5 each side and the angle I used is 45 degrees. Flat metal dimensions were 12 x 33 and the lead edge at 2", 45 degree works out at 6" and the rear edge 4". It is strong enough to resist most pushing but gives (i.e sacrificial) when a serious resistance is felt - a good thing as it doesn't damage the side of the blower or throw the auger alignment out. I also put a piece of 2" x 1/4" flat bar under the back edge to act as a support. It doesn't need too big a metal brake to bend the sheet material - though the shop I went to had a big one nonetheless. I have been able to straighten shallow bends etc. with the a big hammer and the concrete floor of my shop :)
HTH

/ Snow blower width #24  
Jim,

Thanks much for the reply. My snow blower is 35 years old and I suspect "wings" were available for it since it came pre-drilled. I remember thinking about it back then but it fit my Int'l 444 tread width Ok. But, now I have 17.5" tires on my L4610 and it really needs another 8" or 9" or more as you say. Fabricating those "wings" even with 3/16" plate steel would take a good size metal brake. I need to find one of the current production snow blowers that is similar to mine and has about 30" vertical height and offers for sale a set of "wings". Thanks again.

Carl

I'd suspect that the pre drilled holes are more likely there for for drift cutter blades.

/ Snow blower width #25  
FYI...
Kubota sells "Side Extension Kits" for their snowblowers.

An example is PN L2177 Drift Cutter Kit (adds 5" overall cut) factory number K81L12 with a suggested price of approximately $104 (from 2011 price sheet).

This particular model fits the L-Series front & rear blowers, but I'm certain they would work with other brands. I'm certain they are available from from other OEM's along with various sizes if someone wanted to purchase versus making.

Please note in one part of the price guide, L2177 is listed as "Drift Cutter" and the Other as "Side Extensions".

/ Snow blower width #26  
All you guys have been really helpful (Doxford Jim, Piloon, Moship). "PN L2177 Drift Cutter Kit (adds 5" overall cut)" I'll be looking into this and similar. This project needs to be done now and not put off until spring thaw.................. because the next thing it'll be November............. uh Oh?

Thanks!!!

Carl

/ Snow blower width #27  
Get the great deal on 60" and add "wings" to each side!

I added them to my 51" to a total width of 63" and it works great (dare I say even better than stock?)

I guess by bringing up the "wings/ext" I wasn't helpful

Oh well good luck

/ Snow blower width #28  
ericher69,

I wasn't the threads OP. I technically "hi-jacked" the thread with my question. I shouldn't have done that (guilty of poor thread etiquette). But, I did acknowledge those who answered me and should have thanked all of you. Bad on my part. (((thanks everyone)))!!!

Carl

/ Snow blower width #29  
ericher69,

I wasn't the threads OP. I technically "hi-jacked" the thread with my question. I shouldn't have done that (guilty of poor thread etiquette). But, I did acknowledge those who answered me and should have thanked all of you. Bad on my part. (((thanks everyone)))!!!

Carl

Carl;

I was having a bad day when I wrote that...

I apologize and hope that you post pics when you get your modification complete

/ Snow blower width #30  
i think the 5hp per foot is a bit low , depends on how much snow. We stall 100hp on a single auger 8' blower in really heavy snow..