Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"?

/ Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"? #1  

OverlyRun

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC35 bought 5/01
Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28\"?

We've had about 28" of snow so far the past two days and they predict another 6-10 tonight. I spent three hours today with the FEL pushing snow out of the road (1/4mi to get to the public road). This required pushing it about 3 feet and then dumping it to one side, reversing and taking another bite. This gave me plenty of time to ponder what I would do if I had a rear blade. I can't see that a tractor blade would be much good in this much snow. Given that, as well as the rarity of snow like this here, am I correct thinking my money is better invested in hiring the guy down the road to plow than buying a blade? I hate to admit there might be be some projects better done with other than the tractor. (However, snow falling off pine trees is the new rationale for a canopy!) Are there other ways people who live in real snow country move the deep stuff?
Chas

/ Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"? #2  
Re: Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28\"?

Yes, with a front blade. Works great, and as well, will push to the side. In front, can see what is happening and where you are going. Just a different approach.

However, your idea that a neighbor hired to do the big ones is likely the cheapest, but not the most fun. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"? #3  

<font color="blue"> "am I correct thinking my money is better invested in hiring the guy down the road to plow than buying a blade?" </font>

In my opinion, YES! And this is from someone who has a blade, albeit on an F-450. Unless you intend to move a lot of snow for a lot of people I'd suggest you just pay someone else to do it. You'll spend something in the neighborhood of $2500-$3500 for a good blade and that money will pay for a lot of plowing.

In my case, I bought an old F-450 with a dump bed and plow already on itl I'd never invest in adding a blade to one. This winter, for example, I've probably saved a whopping $200-300 by doing my own plowing. From that I ought to deduct fuel comsumed and depreciation plus something for my time. When I get done with all of that, it's still hardly worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif The only justification I have is that it's kind of fun and I get to go be a hero to some folks who really can't afford to have their drives plowed and shouldn't be out trying to clear it themselves. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"? #4  

buy a rear mount snowblower. Is more fun.

/ Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"? #5  

For large snow amounts a snowblower is the way to go. Slow moving but it moves it away. IF we get more snow this winter, which the way this winter is going, is a strong possibility, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif the snowblower gets the snow out of the way. With a plow, unless you push the snow further to the side, it will pile up, get hard, and your driveway will get smaller and smaller. I picked up a 54" Puma for $1000 last May. Attached is what my unit looks like. It will be geting a work out in a few hours. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Attachments

• 236618-side view.jpg
    236618-side view.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 508
   / Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"? #6  

<font color="blue">"...Are there other ways people who live in real snow country move the deep stuff?..."</font>

Chas...

I have a JD 4710 with FEL and rear grader blade. I've found with the very deep snow I could push most of it with the FEL. The 4710 is powerful enough that I could just push this stuff to the point where I want to pile it up. I then clean the driveway with the grader blade. My feeling is the rear blade is good up to about 8-9". Beyond that, use the FEL or what other posters have suggested.....the contracter having the front mounted blade.

....Bob

/ Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"? #7  

<font color="red"> You'll spend something in the neighborhood of $2500-$3500 for a good blade </font>

I can't magine anyone foolish enough to spend that kind of money on a plow set up. Especialy if it just for a tractor. If your buying a Brand New Fisher set up for a truck then that is another story.
I have to believe that anywhere in snow country there has to be a supply of old truck blades, Fishers, Westerns, Meyers, sitting in junk yards, back yards, behind somebody's barn, out in the back field etc. etc.
With a little common sense and some good old yankee ingenuity you adapt it to the front of your loader and you got the best of both worlds. The bucket for moving back the snow banks and a front mounted blade for pushing the snow around. And you won't have to deal with a stiff neck from always trying to look behind you.

Attachments

• 236638-DSCF0002copy.jpg
    236638-DSCF0002copy.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 221
   / Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"? #8  

For snow removal I'd look into a front blade in place of the bucket, not a rear blade. If you don't want to remove your bucket, rig up a way to attach it to the bucket.

/ Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"? #9  

Chas -- We get a lot of snow here in the mountains of Vermont, so I have a bit of experience moving snow with the tractor. Once the depth exceeds the moldboard height of my rear blade there is no quick and easy way to deal with it. Generally I'll make several passes going backwards when it gets that deep. The first few passes with the blade angled and set about 6" above the ground. The second series of passes to move the snow well clear of the road/drive. The third series of passes is the same as the first but with the blade on the ground. Not pretty, and at times I have to use the FEL to move the banks back which, as you've learned is a very slow way to go.

A front blade works VERY well, but I use my FEL in the winter to help me process firewood so that's not an option for me. The best way to clear the deep stuff with a minimum of fuss and bother is a snowblower. I want one, but unfortunately the storm that forces me into the multiple pass routine only happens once every 3 or 4 years. And for ordinary storms of less than a foot, I find the rear blade approach the quickest.

There are a few ways to look at this. One is to plan for the worst and lay out some $$$ to be prepared. Another is to plan for the average and be ready to bust your butt when the worst hits. A third is to hire out the job. Hope this helps.

Pete

/ Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"? #10  

You can't get a more jury rigged set up then mine and it works Great !!!!!. As I have said before, Power angle would be nice but not worth the $700 it would cost me to do it right. Maybe some day.
As you can see from the attached picture, mine is locked into place with a chain and a chain binder. Once in a great while I need to tighten it after I have installed it or re installed it. But it doesn't move, it doesn't fall off, I can angle it by pulling a bolt on the appropriate side and swinging the blade and then drop the bolt back in the appropriate hole.
I have cleaned up 14' - 16' storms almost like you were sitting in nice comfortable plow truck. But how many plow trucks do you know of that within minutes of undoing a chain can be stacking up snow banks with the bucket loader.
Sure a front mount snowblower would be the ultimate, but not for the $$$ they cost. You guys can have your rear mount snowblowers and your rear mount blades with your stiff necks. I'll stick to what I have because it works fantastic and I have only maybe, $25 invested in it at the present time.

Attachments

• 236643-PB300004copy.jpg
    236643-PB300004copy.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 512