Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"?

/ Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"? #21  
Re: Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28\"?

Well, I have a JD4300 with the JD front blade, and I've had no problems with anything the 100+ inches of snow this year has presented. I do four driveways normally, and it takes me about 20 minutes which includes the final cleanup passes, etc.

My neighbor asked me to help his boss the other day. Turns out the boss hadn't plowed (or had anyone else plow) the entire winter. When my friend showed me the driveway, I wasn't sure I could do it.. snow piled up by the DOT plows higher than my head. So what I did was just push into the pile until I couldn't push anymore, raise the blade, push another couple feet, lower the blade, and backdrag the stuff out. When I got it down to where I could get through, I put it in 8th gear (out of 12) and just blasted right through. The blade is a joy.

Now, I'll be the first to say, a FEL would have been easier in this situation. But the blade got this rather unusual job done just fine. And in *all* the other cases I've had so far this year, I wouldn't trade my blade for anything else. I just blast right through most drifted snow which is up to my knees, without the R4's (no chains) even slipping.

I have around 1000 lbs. out on the rear dirt scoop, and a couple of suitcase weights on the front, plus the ~500 lb. blade. Seems a good combination so far.

For *really* deep stuff, a FEL is the way to go.. but for normal use the blade is fast and easy.. and it can handle the deep stuff if you are patient and willing to backdrag a bit.

HTH,
Bob

/ Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"? #22  

<font color="blue">For *really* deep stuff, a FEL is the way to go.. </font>

For ***really*** deep stuff a snowblower is the way to go /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"? #23  
Re: Snow: The rest of the story

Chas,
I'm Telling you. Get yourself some type of a front blade setup. It is the only way to go. Picture attached.
It is still snowing here in Moultonborough, NH We only have maybe 4 inch's on the ground but I don't think it will be the huge nasty storm everybody predicted.

Attachments

• 237032-DSCF0001A (4)copy.jpg
    237032-DSCF0001A (4)copy.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 302
   / Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"? #24  

Today I was faced with between 18" - 48" ( drifts ) of snow. My first pass with the snowblade attached was kinda useless...a lot of snow rolling over the top and not enough hurl to send it up and over the 4'+ banks in the corners.

Pulled two pins, dropped the plow, and went to work with the bucket. After several critically placed assaults, I had knocked down the high banks where needed. Connected up the snowblade...angled it... and 1300' of driveway done in a few passes.

Dropped the snow blade once again and pushed back the banks at the road so that we have a chance of seeing the oncoming traffic.

...nothing beats a detachable snow blade on your loader bucket...except maybe a 96" front mount snowblower with remote adjustment of the chute.

/ Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"? #25  

My driveway is about 750 feet long. We had drifts 2 to 4 feet. It took quite a long time to clear the driveway with the FEL. It was much long than I anticipated. And because I have a gravel driveway, I couldn't lower the FEL as much as I wanted. The driveway is now passable but still could be better. I think I invested over 4 hours on it.

Paul

/ Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"?

Mark,

Front blade on the FEL looks like a great set up and requires less back-steering. Saw lots of tractors across Virginia today driving backwards (80% look over their right shoulder) with the rear blade.

Given that we only get snow like this down here about once every five years, my first thought is that a rear blade I can use on dirt too makes the most sense. Now if I lived near Lake Winpesaukee, I'd have a different calculation.

When we got back into DC this afternoon, a neighbor who owns a construction company had a huge John Deere articulated loader clearing HIS street. One bucket = about 10 buckets on my NH 16LA bucket. (I should have listened when people on TBN told me "you can always use more horesepower!!")

Chas

/ Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"? #27  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Saw lots of tractors across Virginia today driving backwards (80% look over their right shoulder) with the rear blade. )</font>

I always look over my right shoulder, unless there's something close to the tractor on the left side. The main reason is the 3PH lever is on the right side. It's easy to grab the suicide knob w/ left hand and 3PH lever w/ right. It also seems easier for me to turn to the right for some reason. Is it easier for left-handers to twist to the left?............chim

/ Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"? #28  

I had to do the same thing - clear the driveway with the FEL rather than the front blade. Lots of gear shifting and FEL practice. Took six hours to create my 350 foot long by9 foot wide by 4 foot deep "driveway". Action shot attached.

Attachments

• 237393-scoopsnow.JPG
    237393-scoopsnow.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 230
   / Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"? #29  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It was tough going but in the end the Bota and I won )</font>

That's always a good feeling! I love the rush you get when you pull something off you weren't sure your tractor could handle! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pete

/ Snow: If I had a Blade would it handle 28"? #30  

no...i twist to the right too...for the same reason and i am left handed