Snow plow ? Beginner

/ Snow plow ? Beginner #61  
I do the same. But I have a flat driveway and two pickup trucks. Unless I get more than 4" of snow, I do not plow/blow.

I plowed a lot more when I had a Mercedes with "all season" tires and low ground clearance. I came close to getting the drive paved. Deer totaled the Mercedes, so problem solved.

Folks that have significant grades and/or curves to negotiate might not be able to deal with a layer of frozen snow/ice.
I don't plow before the ground is frozen and/or I have a layer of packed snow/ice on the drive. Otherwise I move too much gravel
Yeah, I wish my gravel would freeze. A few passes with the tractor and it compacts, but we do have a grade to the drive and it turns to ice. I went to a 30" walk behind blower and the drive base typically melts. I added 1/4" to the shoes to help keep the gravel safe.

Last edited:
   / Snow plow ? Beginner #62  
I don't plow before the ground is frozen and/or I have a layer of packed snow/ice on the drive. Otherwise I move too much gravel
I'm up against that this am. Snowed last night a good 6-8" of wet crap but the previous days temps were above freezing. I've got my block heater turned on in my tractor but I doubt if I'll use it as JJT said I'll end up moving my driveway to my yard. My snowblower isn't a heck of a lot better even with wide shoes 3/4 below the cutting edge.
Mother nature put it there, I may let here remove it LOL

/ Snow plow ? Beginner #64  
I tried the pipe thing and found that PVC doesn't work for me.
Light gage pipe is just as bad.

Ended up taking the cutting edge off my plow & replacing it with angle iron.
Bolted through the holes for the cutting edge.
Works like a charm.

Length of angle iron on the tines of the york rake works too.
Can plow path across the lawn without any damage to the grass.
How about posting some pictures of this modification? Thanks

/ Snow plow ? Beginner #65  
How about posting some pictures of this modification? Thanks
Ok....

1701804452388.jpeg
1701804452388.jpeg

Attachments

• York Rake.jpg
    York Rake.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
   / Snow plow ? Beginner #66  
I'd never thought of that, good idea.
How's it work for clearing snow off hard ground, does it ride up at all or much?

/ Snow plow ? Beginner #67  
I'd never thought of that, good idea.
How's it work for clearing snow off hard ground, does it ride up at all or much?
It will ride over anything at all firm.
But does an acceptable job on my private road & neighbors driveways.
Works as good or better then pipes I tried when they worked.
Once the ground is truly frozen, I revert back to plow shoes.
Have a full with angle on the york rake now and use it for clearing around the barn & path to the basement doorwall for firewood delivery.

/ Snow plow ? Beginner #68  
I do the same. But I have a flat driveway and two pickup trucks. Unless I get more than 4" of snow, I do not plow/blow.

I plowed a lot more when I had a Mercedes with "all season" tires and low ground clearance. I came close to getting the drive paved. Deer totaled the Mercedes, so problem solved.

Folks that have significant grades and/or curves to negotiate might not be able to deal with a layer of frozen snow/ice.
Yes, tires are an important factor, winter or all seasons. Packing snow with winter tires is alot easier. The only potential issue is when they clear the street and windrow the snow into the end of my lane… that’s where the 4x4 comes in handy when there is 4 to 6 or more inches.