Snow plow ? Beginner

/ Snow plow ? Beginner #11  
I use a truck plow on my tractor without modifications. It can be used in 2 frames: 1 is a direct tractor frame mount using 2 arms that drop down from the mid-mount mower plates. The second uses 2 pieces from the JD QA mount plates to hold the plow frame using spherical joint rod ends.

In the first installation, the loader off. I use the loader controls for up down & swing left/right. The loader valve has a float position but it is useful to have downforce for ice buildups. For the 2nd, I added an electric 3rd function valve to intermittently select swing left right. Plow is on full float using a chain.

Both work extremely well to move snow (as fast as the tractor will go, actually), but the QA makes it easy to switch attachments. A little fab work was necessary for both configurations. Plus I needed a short lift cylinder to raise the plow on the frame mounts. I just cut one down to 1/2 length. I changed to QA because I'm lazy and waited for the snow to be a foot high to put the plow on. I didn't care about crawling around under the tractor in the snow to put the 2 hinge pins in by myself. With the QA system, all it requires is to find the 3rd function valve block in he shop, strap it on and grab the plow. DONE !

Attachments

• 90402086.jpg
    90402086.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20221111_095321_01.jpg
    IMG_20221111_095321_01.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 174
   / Snow plow ? Beginner #12  
I had one. You cannot back drag with it. I ended up selling it.
That is true...they don't back drag! On my Toolcat I have the Snowsport on the front and a rear blade on the 3 point. It works real good for my layout.

/ Snow plow ? Beginner
Thanks everyone. I have lived here two years. First year was shovel, bucket, and a heavy back blade. Next year was a 36" walk behind blower and the rear blade on a gravel driveway.
This year I expanded the driveway and had it paved so I want to NOT dig holes in it like the back blade and bucket did.
My rear tires are filled, and I carry a 400 lb counter weight

I don't have a truck per se. The company provides me one and my 49 chevy pickup is too nice to plow with. I plan on getting a 3/4 or 1 ton flatbed 4wd when the time comes but i haven't since it would be sitting too much right now.

I guess the choice is getting to just getting one for the tractor. I'm thinking the 7'6" model to match the L3301's size.
Now to decide to get a mounted one for the front and remove the loader for the winter or a quick attach. I have third function already (diverter) and a 4 valve rear out(s) setup.

/ Snow plow ? Beginner #14  
Thanks everyone. I have lived here two years. First year was shovel, bucket, and a heavy back blade. Next year was a 36" walk behind blower and the rear blade on a gravel driveway.
This year I expanded the driveway and had it paved so I want to NOT dig holes in it like the back blade and bucket did.
My rear tires are filled, and I carry a 400 lb counter weight

I don't have a truck per se. The company provides me one and my 49 chevy pickup is too nice to plow with. I plan on getting a 3/4 or 1 ton flatbed 4wd when the time comes but i haven't since it would be sitting too much right now.

I guess the choice is getting to just getting one for the tractor. I'm thinking the 7'6" model to match the L3301's size.
Now to decide to get a mounted one for the front and remove the loader for the winter or a quick attach. I have third function already (diverter) and a 4 valve rear out(s) setup.
Edge tamers will keep your bucket from gouging the pavement and the gravel,
Edge Tamer - Move Snow With Your Tractor Loader Bucket
1699462007337.png

You can also add shoes to your back blade.
If your pavement is smooth the back blade would not gouge into it.

/ Snow plow ? Beginner #15  
I had a light-duty snow plow for my Craftsman garden tractor. Sold the gt when I got the Massey, so I repurposed the Craftsman plow for the Massey...basically hacked the mount off, and welded it on a SSQI plate. It's been working awesome for me, gonna be a 4th year with it this coming winter.

Here's a vid:

/ Snow plow ? Beginner #16  
About 12 years ago I bought a Snowsport plow that fits in a 2" receiver. I have used it on the front/rear of the tractor, rear of the truck, front of the RTV900, and front of the Toolcat and really like it. Anything with a receiver can be a plow vehicle. It is self floating and won't dig into the yard or gravel. It can be angled but use it straight most of the time like this video. The frame uses 2" solid steel to fit in the receiver and is well made. I have it on the Toolcat loader now and can make huge piles of snow. There are many videos of this plow in use. Also sold under the DR Redi-plow name. Look for lightly used ones!

I've seen these before on Youtube, always wondered how to back up with this thing, since it doesn't lift. Now I get it that it tilts up when you back up. Yeh, this Snowsport is real interesting, honestly I could see it working real good on a tractor as well! I've debated getting a snow pusher when my plow finally dies, but the drawback to it on my property is that I got an uneven side drive I plow. My current plow has enough side to side slop so that it articulates sideways, whereas a snow pusher wouldn't have that slop. But this snowsport does...I may just look into finding a used one towards that purpose, thx!

/ Snow plow ? Beginner #17  
I've seen these before on Youtube, always wondered how to back up with this thing, since it doesn't lift. Now I get it that it tilts up when you back up. Yeh, this Snowsport is real interesting, honestly I could see it working real good on a tractor as well! I've debated getting a snow pusher when my plow finally dies, but the drawback to it on my property is that I got an uneven side drive I plow. My current plow has enough side to side slop so that it articulates sideways, whereas a snow pusher wouldn't have that slop. But this snowsport does...I may just look into finding a used one towards that purpose, thx!
Depending on the height of the receiver, you adjust the plow frame so the float range is ok, then you are good to go. I made a receiver for the front of the tractor and one for the RTV900.

squ 004_1.JPG
squ 001_1.JPG

/ Snow plow ? Beginner #18  
I have a plow for mounting on my FEL, I'm not impressed with it. It sticks out way to far in front of me.
As the tractor tires go over a rise or drop in a low spot the blade moves 5-6 times as much.
Your plow appears to have no ability to "float"?

Most heavy loader plows are hinged, and hung from a chain, so it can move up if the terrain requires it to do so.

I designed mine in a way that the chain was not necessary, it can still float up as it needs to.

Without the ability to float, it's not going to work well.

Mine also has gauge wheels behind it to keep it out of the gravel. I can set it as high or low as I like, with the curl function on the FEL control.

Picture of the gauge wheels was the prottype version 1.0. The finished mount is now v. 1.2 in the second picture, the wheels are still the same.

There is also a steel pipe attached to the front to help keep it out of the gravel. If you add a pipe, DO NOT SLOT THE PIPE, that's a lot of work, and a complete waste of time. Just weld tabs on it, and bolt it on.

Attachments

• articulated snow plow 002.jpg
    articulated snow plow 002.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1066.JPG
    IMG_1066.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1062.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 157
   / Snow plow ? Beginner #19  
Depending on the height of the receiver, you adjust the plow frame so the float range is ok, then you are good to go. I made a receiver for the front of the tractor and one for the RTV900.

View attachment 831089View attachment 831090
Hey ruffdog yeh for sure, I could see all sorts of options how to mount it...including repurposing a snow blade into a snow pusher, using this sort of design.

/ Snow plow ? Beginner #20  
Your plow appears to have no ability to "float"?

Most heavy loader plows are hinged, and hung from a chain, so it can move up if the terrain requires it to do so.

I designed mine in a way that the chain was not necessary, it can still float up as it needs to.

Without the ability to float, it's not going to work well.

Mine also has gauge wheels behind it to keep it out of the gravel. I can set it as high or low as I like, with the curl function on the FEL control.

Picture of the gauge wheels was the prottype version 1.0. The finished mount is now v. 1.2 in the second picture, the wheels are still the same.

There is also a steel pipe attached to the front to help keep it out of the gravel. If you add a pipe, DO NOT SLOT THE PIPE, that's a lot of work, and a complete waste of time. Just weld tabs on it, and bolt it on.
It has about 2-3" of float the way it was built. It is a "factory" snow plow, not sure who built it.