Snow Plow / blade opinions

/ Snow Plow / blade opinions #1  

OtterBrookStables

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4120
Hi All -
I need a Quick mount snow plow for the front of my 400 loader on my 4120. Definitely need to have hydo angle adjust. I think that means 3rd channel up front - correct? ANybody have any experience with the Frontier AF11 84" blade? What does a new one cost? What does it cost to have the tjird channel put in (with new control lever) at the dealer? Any other suggestions for a quick attach snow blade? Your help is appreciated.

/ Snow Plow / blade opinions #2  
I have a 3120 with a 300X loader and I think you would be best to either just get a backblade or just push the snow with your bucket - thats what I do at least. As far as price I have no idea but I would imagine if you didn't have the power beyond kit - for a backhoe or such - it would be really expensive to run new hydraulics. If you did have the power beyond you would just have to pick up a switch - which is a lot cheaper!:thumbsup:

/ Snow Plow / blade opinions
Thanks for the reply. I have a rear blower and I need the plow up front to use with it - I clear a large parking lot and arena and the plow will be a huge help. The buck doesn't cut it - too small and doesn't angle. I have a hydraulic chanel/ lever in the back for my blower chute adjust. My tractor will most definitely handle at least a 7' front snow blade - it weighs almost 4 ton with attachments on and has oodles of power.

AF11 experience and cost anyone?

/ Snow Plow / blade opinions #4  
I have a 3120 with a 300X loader and I think you would be best to either just get a backblade or just push the snow with your bucket - thats what I do at least. As far as price I have no idea but I would imagine if you didn't have the power beyond kit - for a backhoe or such - it would be really expensive to run new hydraulics. If you did have the power beyond you would just have to pick up a switch - which is a lot cheaper!:thumbsup:

/ Snow Plow / blade opinions #5  
I clear a large parking lot and arena and the plow will be a huge help.

I see...:confused:... Have you tried a Snow Pusher... you can get them around a grand depending on which you get but that way all the snow goes forward. Cause I've had problems with angle blades where when you get far enough the snow builds up so much you can't push it anymore.

Last edited:
   / Snow Plow / blade opinions
Hmmm.... Seems that the straight snow pusher would build up much easier than an angled blade. The angled blade should dump the snow to one side as you move forward.I need to be able to plow a big area into a pile then use the blower to clear it.

/ Snow Plow / blade opinions #7  
Good advice from Martian about a pusher. I have a 6' af11 and it works OK but the R4 tires seem like one of the biggest disadvantage to me! Also they don't have the weight. I have pushed a lot of snow with Case backhoes with pushers on the front and these little tractors don't even come close.

/ Snow Plow / blade opinions #8  
You start building a windrow of snow then it gets a little heavy and just pushes the front end over rather than the snow. I used to plow the tarmac at the Monroe County Airport. We used pushers on loaders pushed all the snow to the edge of the pavement and the county would use there truck mounted blowers to blow it out on to the grass. That was fun!

/ Snow Plow / blade opinions #9  
I bought a Meyer 7' plow which I am currently in the process of making a frame to fit onto my 300cx Loader to mate with the Meyer plow. I plan to put hydraulic cylinders on the plow (it didn't have any when I bought it) and power the cylinders with the hydraulics from my 3rd function SCV and remotes. I have the factory hard lines kit on the loader....so it's just a matter of making short hoses and couplers from the plow to the loader mounted couplers at the front.

I read allot of threads on snow plows and pushers. Some are happy with angling plows like this...especially for long roads and lanes....which is my situation. Many guys use them for parking lots. For long roads I don't see a pusher being of the same benefit as a plow. From what I have read....a loader mounted plow is pretty good with the lighter snow-falls of 6" and less.

I don't have much experience with a plow....pretty much always had small snow-blowers until this build. But I'm plowing ahead with my Meyer project. :thumbsup:

You can do a search on "FEL Plows" or "snowplows"...or read back in the snow section for lots more information. I think the SCV Kit costs about $300. and I am unsure what a dealer would charge to put it on. Then you could add the JD hardline kit or have long hoses made to operate your plow cylinders.

Last edited:
   / Snow Plow / blade opinions #10  
I bought a Meyer 7' plow which I am currently in the process of making a frame to fit onto my 300cx Loader to mate with the Meyer plow. I plan to put hydraulic cylinders on the plow (it didn't have any when I bought it) and power the cylinders with the hydraulics from my 3rd function SCV and remotes. I have the factory hard lines kit on the loader....so it's just a matter of making short hoses and couplers from the plow to the loader mounted couplers at the front.

With the bucket off the loader the left and right on the joy stick controller is not in use. That tips the bucket up and down. Is it possible to use two hydraulic connections not being used for left and right on the plow?---With so many cheep Meijer snow plows for sale with electric controls intact I have considered a weldment construction for my JD4410. -----Fuseboxer