Snow Plow / blade opinions

/ Snow Plow / blade opinions #11  
I bought a Meyer 7' plow which I am currently in the process of making a frame to fit onto my 300cx Loader to mate with the Meyer plow. I plan to put hydraulic cylinders on the plow (it didn't have any when I bought it) and power the cylinders with the hydraulics from my 3rd function SCV and remotes. I have the factory hard lines kit on the loader....so it's just a matter of making short hoses and couplers from the plow to the loader mounted couplers at the front.

With the bucket off the loader the left and right on the joy stick controller is not in use. That tips the bucket up and down. Is it possible to use two hydraulic connections not being used for left and right on the plow?---With so many cheep Meijer snow plows for sale with electric controls intact I have considered a weldment construction for my JD4410. -----Fuseboxer

Yep....you could do that. I already have the control valve and hard lines to the front of the loader.....so it would not make sense for me. Some guys like to be able to use the curl function (like when piling snow high)....but I don't see it as mandatory for many of us.....especially if you FLOAT the PLOW (rather than float the loader).

Note: This thread prompted me to post a new topic and pic of my new loader mount and plow in the snow section. I'm not done yet....but have a look.

/ Snow Plow / blade opinions
What length plow should I get for a 4120?

What length snow pusher?

/ Snow Plow / blade opinions #13  
I am no expert on size some of the experienced users need to tell us both. If I were to quess a 5' or at most 6' on front and same on the back. All I am sure is that tires, weight, torque, etc. are variables and the people with experience with many sizes and types have more knowledge than me. I tilt a 7' on the rear to try to keep the drive from getting narrow with extra snow that blows. The only "experts" that I have talked to, one, that has lots of experience is now sold on a 7' cam rear blade. He tried one or two at dealerships that he sell tractor supplies to and was sold on the value of the approx 12" cam rocking it out past center. ---Fuseboxer

/ Snow Plow / blade opinions #15  
Hi All -
I need a Quick mount snow plow for the front of my 400 loader on my 4120. Definitely need to have hydo angle adjust. I think that means 3rd channel up front - correct? ANybody have any experience with the Frontier AF11 84" blade? What does a new one cost? What does it cost to have the tjird channel put in (with new control lever) at the dealer? Any other suggestions for a quick attach snow blade? Your help is appreciated.

Looks like a nice unit. Deere do not list a price for some reason. :confused:

Attachments

• JD AF-11 Front blade.jpg
    JD AF-11 Front blade.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 979
  • JD AF11 side view.jpg
    JD AF11 side view.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,080
   / Snow Plow / blade opinions #16  
Attached :licking:

Attachments

• JD blade (642x462).jpg
    JD blade (642x462).jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 534
   / Snow Plow / blade opinions #17  
Yep....you could do that. I already have the control valve and hard lines to the front of the loader.....so it would not make sense for me. Some guys like to be able to use the curl function (like when piling snow high)....but I don't see it as mandatory for many of us.....especially if you FLOAT the PLOW (rather than float the loader).

Note: This thread prompted me to post a new topic and pic of my new loader mount and plow in the snow section. I'm not done yet....but have a look.

Will the electric cotrolled hydraulic cyl covert or do you need to buy new cyl? I see old western plows for 400 to 700 but spotted a 1/2 off quick sale on a Western plow. Looks good for 200. I have no idea the quality difference any quesses? The John deere pin and top hook did you pay the big dealer price or did you find a supplier? Dealer for the four matching deere parts are about $90. I have been told. You have a nice project and it is tempting me. I can tact weld with a mig and then hit it with a Lincoln. The welders in my barn get little use. It would be nice before the weather get bad to get off the lazy boy and TV/munchies. The mosquito's are very bad for two weeks and could spoil a barn project. Deet 25% and they are still swarming. ----Fuseboxer

/ Snow Plow / blade opinions #18  
Rockgod said:
Attached :licking:

Notice the wheel weights in the picture. Probably a good idea for this application. Lack of weight seems to be the biggest challenge when using these tractors to clear snow.

/ Snow Plow / blade opinions #19  
Will the electric cotrolled hydraulic cyl covert or do you need to buy new cyl? I see old western plows for 400 to 700 but spotted a 1/2 off quick sale on a Western plow. Looks good for 200. I have no idea the quality difference any quesses? The John deere pin and top hook did you pay the big dealer price or did you find a supplier? Dealer for the four matching deere parts are about $90. I have been told. You have a nice project and it is tempting me. I can tact weld with a mig and then hit it with a Lincoln. The welders in my barn get little use. It would be nice before the weather get bad to get off the lazy boy and TV/munchies. The mosquito's are very bad for two weeks and could spoil a barn project. Deet 25% and they are still swarming. ----Fuseboxer

I believe I paid $150 for my Meyer plow and thought it was a steal (it's in great condition....but no hydraulics). My BIL has sold these old plows for $700 or so after mostly wearing em out with his commercial snow plowing biz.

I think the Western and the Meyer are quite similar in quality....and would not let the brand get in the way if the plow looks like it will work for you. An 80" width on a 60" wide tractor (or so) allow you to angle the blade and go around curves without getting your tires in the snow. I think if you go much wider and you may push the tractor about and cause more stress on the loader.

I bought the expensive goods from Deere (I think I paid about $70 for all - inlcuding the gusset plates). Maybe should have spent more time looking before buying....but sometimes folks take too many short-cuts here....and I had some problems with a cheap mount on my gator grapple.

I wish I could take credit for the welding.....I have a friend in the welding biz doing this project for me (from my plans derived from posts here on TBN)....as I lack the tools or shop to do this.

I went with a HD frame....cause I want to add a removable shrub bucket to this same frame after we get the snow plow project done.