Snow Attachments Snow plow vs. rear blade

/ Snow plow vs. rear blade #1  

Youare

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3000
For the past month I have been trying to figure a way to connect my 7 1/2 foot Meyer's snow plow to the 3PH of my Kubota. But, the plow looked so big behind the tractor and it appeared it was going to stick out what looked like a long way.

Saturday I stopped at the local New Holland dealership and looked at the Land Pride rear blades. They gave me what I considered was a good deal, I traded my snow plow and some cash for a 7 foot blade.

This morning I tried the rear blade on the small snow deposit we got last night. It works well. Leaving the blade in the front scraping position and pushing backwards kept the blade from digging into my dirt driveway.

I was able to clear the driveway in half the time and push the snow where I wanted it with the FEL.

Randy

/ Snow plow vs. rear blade #2  
With plow blade I can clean my driveway etc.. more than 1/2 the time than useing a fel.
I attach my plow to the bucket and curl the bucket down just enough until the plow rest on the ground.
I did think about a rear plow,but twisting the neck around to look,also pushing snow near banks,the last thing I want was to end up looking straight up at the stars.

Just a few more storms and you shall get the hang of it.

/ Snow plow vs. rear blade
Thomas,
I think I shall get a little more pratice time this evening, it just started snowing here again, I am about an hour south of you in the Keene, NH area. Sorry to hear you had 15 inches already this morning.

I tried using just the FEL berfore the frost got to the driveway. As long as the tractor was sitting level everything was fine, when it was not I would leave snow on one side and remove gravel on the other. The rear blade piviots a little more than the FEL.

My driveway is not that long so I pull the snow to a place near the end lift the blade swing around 90 degrees and push the pile backwards off to an area where I like to get all the snow I can.

Pratice is a good thing, maybe a cab would be nice too.

Randy

/ Snow plow vs. rear blade #4  
I am using a 7 ft. rear blade and feel on my tc40. Seems to work well. Last nights snow was pretty slippery, so I was glad for the double ringed chains. My driveway is about 4oo feet and pretty steep. Oh, by the way, I live in central vermont and work in the Hanover,NH area. I saw you were from keane.
Happy snow removal is ahead.

/ Snow plow vs. rear blade #5  
Dang if that doesn't bring back some memories. When I was a kid my parents had a camp in Stoddard. Then they sold that and bought a small farm on Pierce lake in Hillsborough. Going north on rt 9 it was about a mile past Breezy point inn. Don't know if the inn even exists anymore?? But it was before Diamond Acres ice cream joint,, don't know if that even exists anymore either.

It had a very large barn that could been seen from the road. Ever notice it??? Nice place to spend the weekends as a kid.

To keep the drive clean up there dad had an old backhoe with a plow set up very much like Thomas has on his tractor now. Nice to plow with and makes stacking snow easy. Drop the plow and your ready for mud season. lol

Takes a while to get used to the rear blade then it comes natural./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

gordon

/ Snow plow vs. rear blade
Gordon,

I travel that road frequently and know just the places you mentioned. Diamond Acres is still an ice cream place they added a larger dining room several years ago. I remember a place called Breezy Point Inn on the right just south east of Diamond Acres big lighthouse I think on the sign, don't know if it still is in operation now.

I don't know about the barn you mention, I will have to look closer next time. Someone did build a new house right on the water in a little cove before you get to Breezy point that you can see from the road.

Back in the late 60's through the late 80's I would pass that way going to our family camp on Lake Winnippisaukee, so I know how nice it is to spend weekends on a lake. I have a brother-in-law north of there now.

Just past Diamond Acres heading towards Hillsboro they have put up a quite few new buildings along the road right into that end of the town, and they have almost completed a by-pass that takes you right around the center of town.

The rear blade is nice, and 4WD on the Kubota makes the job go so much quicker than plowing in 2WD on my old 8N.

Randy

/ Snow plow vs. rear blade #7  
gordon,
Yep..those fond memories of yester years sure can put one in a state of oz for a while./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
I guess the older once gets the more they recall,maybe do to the good life that they lived so far...now if I can just find my pick up keys. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Snow plow vs. rear blade #8  
Randy -- That's exactly how I plow here in Vermont. If I have a lot of ground to cover I'll reverse the blade and drive forward; that way saves my neck!

I never used to use the bucket much, but these days it all gets scooped up and added to the banked curve on my sled run! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Pete

/ Snow plow vs. rear blade #9  
This thread is very timely. We just got 18 inches from Sunday night to Monday night. It gave me a chance to try out my new backblade. It worked great for clearing the snow, and I have a very long, very steep circular driveway that's about 2/10 of a mile long. I did get stuck in a couple of spots, my wife tried to put some pieces of carpet under my R-1's when I got stuck, and that got me right out. (Why didn't I think of that?) When I was done, I immedaitely went out and got a set of double ring chains. With them, nothing should stop me!!

Anyone have any tips on how to out them on?

Rich
"What a long strange trip it's been."

/ Snow plow vs. rear blade #10  
Rich, your wife actually comes out and helps???? My wife won't step foot out of the house to help with outside chores....

I have been waiting for snow here in Michigan to go out and play in with my tractor.