Snow Attachments Snow plow vs. rear blade

/ Snow plow vs. rear blade #11  
Steve, my wife loves outside chores as much as I do. That's why we bought a farm. She spent much of the summer clearing heavy brush from around our brook, in areas that I can't bring my tractor in. She used lawn mowers, weed wackers, rakes, shovels and saws. I never would have had the patience to do all that. I mostly transported the debris away with my tractor. She also planted our vegetable and flower gardens and repaired a rock wall, plus all sorts of things too numerous to mention.

When I got stuck in a snow bank, she saw me trying to dig out the tires, and she went in the barn and came out with two old carpet runners, and pushed them under the tires, told me to get back on and drive. Naturally it worked, and I felt pretty stupid /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif. It's not the first time she rescued me./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I think I'll keep her!/w3tcompact/icons/love.gif
Rich
"What a long strange trip it's been."

/ Snow plow vs. rear blade #12  
I tried backblading snow, but found that the blade would dig into the gravel too much (early in the season - before the ground was frozen). So i had a set of snow plow "shoes" mounted on my blade. Works like a charm! Can adjust the "shoes" so the blade is 0 - 2+ inches off the ground. Rarely have to turn my head when plowing now. If the snow doesn't exit the blade I just lift the blade (dump the load) drive past the pile, then drop the blade and push the snow backwards off the road (I don't turn the blade around for this - I just push it withthe back of the blade).
mike

/ Snow plow vs. rear blade #13  
Re: Installing tractor chains

Rich -

My chains came in with no instructions. A web search
turned up this link with chain install instructions for
all types of chains:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.peerlesschain.com/traction.shtml>http://www.peerlesschain.com/traction.shtml</A>

Download the PDF for "MaxTrac Snowblower and Garden
Tractor Chain Instructions". Worked for me.

HTH,
Timd

/ Snow plow vs. rear blade #14  
We woke up 7 1/4 " of snow last Friday. that does not happen in Eastern NC!!!!!!Had to plow out the driveway and 1/2 mile of dirt road with a box blade, by the time I was done my neck was sore from looking over my shoulder. Today its 60 degrees, go figure...

/ Snow plow vs. rear blade #15  
Rich -- Not sure how heavy your chains are, but my Norse ice chains weigh about 150# each, so this is how I mount them. Probably pointless to mention at this time of year that I generally do this before the weather turns cold!

I lay them out just like in the Peerless Website tutorial, then drive forward till the lugs of my ag tires are just touching the first ladder. I hook a bungee cord thru the loose chain ends and pull from behind the tractor while my wife backs up.

As she backs with me pulling gently, the lugs snag the chains and carry them back to me. I loop the loose ends thru the big rings on the other end and pull it tight, clipping it in place with a pair of caribiners. The wife drives back and forth to seat the chains, then I tighten them again. When they are as tight as they're gonna get, I replace the caribiners with shackles and wire them into place. Takes about 15 minutes per side.

Pete

/ Snow plow vs. rear blade #16  
Re: Installing tractor chains

Thanks, Tim! I printed out the instructions to use this weekend, to put on my chains.

Rich

/ Snow plow vs. rear blade #17  
Thanks, Pete! I should have known you'd have chains. Between your instructions and the website, I should be fine. I can't believe they don't come with instructions. And yes, mine are EXTREMELY heavy, too. I didn't weigh them, but when I went to pick up the box at my local tractor supply shop, I thought I was gonna die!!/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Rich

/ Snow plow vs. rear blade #18  
Rich, Here's another method I use and can do with only one person. (My chains only weigh about 80lbs each). I jack the rear wheels off the ground, and hook one end of the chain over a tire lug then spin the tire. Gravity keeps tension on the chains until you have both ends hanging down on either side of the tire. I then use a small strap binder to pull the ends together, spin the tire so the ends are on top and make the final connections. I had tried the "drive over" method but found this makes them tight in one shot and takes less adjustment.

/ Snow plow vs. rear blade #19  
Thanks, Gerard! I was thinking of doing that if all else failed. It's good to know that someone else does that, and it works!

Rich